PDA

View Full Version : What is the normal take-home for a solo LCO?

AdamCByrd
02-21-2005, 11:06 AM
Gents,

Just want to see what ya'll think is a reasonable annual income for a solo LCO? Can you sling some numbers at me for your after tax, after expense figures?

Adam

packerbacker
02-21-2005, 11:09 AM
Gents,

Just want to see what ya'll think is a reasonable annual income for a solo LCO? Can you sling some numbers at me for your after tax, after expense figures?

Adam

There is no norm.

What you need to figure out is what you need to live off of and be comfortable. Everyone will give you a different answer for your question.

kipcom
02-21-2005, 11:12 AM
Somewere in the range of -$1,000,000.00 to +$100k

It all depends on YOU.................. :cool2:

desert rose gardening
02-21-2005, 11:38 AM
What!? do you think im going to tell you my big secerte!!?? I make about $50.000 and pay taxs on about $35.000. Im not a hero trying to get rich and make money all the time. I like 3 day weekends, riding my horses, camping, spending time with my girlfriend. Im not married and have no kids. Thats my story.

captken
02-21-2005, 12:02 PM
12345678910111213141516171819120....now catch!

PMLAWN
02-21-2005, 12:10 PM
12345678910111213141516171819120....now catch!

Now all you need is the decimal point. :p

bobbygedd
02-21-2005, 12:20 PM
most solo ops net below poverty level, they just don't realize it.

GrassBustersLawn
02-21-2005, 12:23 PM
what bobbygedd said...EXACTLY!

Mike

packerbacker
02-21-2005, 12:29 PM

Could you give me % figure on the word "most"? Id like to know what reference you used when you came to that conclusion also.

bobbygedd
02-21-2005, 12:45 PM
i use what i see with my own eyes, which is more accurate than a statistic. i personally know of about 5 or 6 solos, and a handful of guys with employees, who are making below poverty level, but are surviving(barely) on cash flow. i personally don't know of ANY (except a few guys on lawnsite) who are making enough money in this business to afford a future, and a decent current lifestyle.

packerbacker
02-21-2005, 12:47 PM
i use what i see with my own eyes, which is more accurate than a statistic. i personally know of about 5 or 6 solos, and a handful of guys with employees, who are making below poverty level, but are surviving(barely) on cash flow. i personally don't know of ANY (except a few guys on lawnsite) who are making enough money in this business to afford a future, and a decent current lifestyle.

Just making sure.

theturfsurfer
02-21-2005, 08:44 PM
I hate to disagree with Bobby but I don't seem to be having any problems being a solo operator. The question isn't whether or not you will be a solo operator but instead the question is can you afford to pay a helper. I work my bottom off 9 months out of the year and my family understands this. The return for this work is in '04 I grossed almost $160,000 so as I have said in a previous thread the money is there, you just have to earn it. I have used employees in the past and all the headaches that came with them were not worth it to me.

touhey33
02-21-2005, 08:55 PM
Bobby,
I have read many of your posts, and alot of them seem to be negative. I know alot of people on this site seem to worship you, because you think you know it all, but back off of solo ops in the forum. I believe the original question was asked to solo operators, if this isn't what you do then don't reply. Just because you know a solo op that is below poverty level, doesn't mean they all are, It all depends on how much work and energy you put in to it. If your are doing good having crews and employess great, but that doesn't mean its for everybody.

Watkinslawnservice
02-21-2005, 09:02 PM
[QUOTE=i personally don't know of ANY (except a few guys on lawnsite) who are making enough money in this business to afford a future, and a decent current lifestyle.[/QUOTE]

Could you please tell me what in your opinion is a "decent lifestyle"

Dave

Jpocket
02-21-2005, 09:15 PM
Just depends on how you manage your funds. Cash flow gives alot of guys a false sense of profit if you know what i mean

bobbygedd
02-21-2005, 09:24 PM
Bobby,
I have read many of your posts, and alot of them seem to be negative. I know alot of people on this site seem to worship you, because you think you know it all, but back off of solo ops in the forum. I believe the original question was asked to solo operators, if this isn't what you do then don't reply. Just because you know a solo op that is below poverty level, doesn't mean they all are, It all depends on how much work and energy you put in to it. If your are doing good having crews and employess great, but that doesn't mean its for everybody.
i will voice my opinion, this is still america. a decent lifestyle, my area, average joe, family of four: mortgage $2200. health insurence $1400. electric $90. car payment $300. cable t.v. $110. water $45. phone $50. food $400. heat $100. gas for the car $120. pre school $135. life ins $135. car ins $100. there are some miscelaneous expenses as well as clothing, school functions, etc. but just the ones i mentioned come out to $5185 each month. this is the average cost of a couple buying thier first home and starting a family here where i live. so they need to clear $62,220 a year, just to get by. want to live decent, u need to clear maybe $75,000. are you doing that solo? can you do that solo? it would seem to me you would die trying. you'll need to gross around $135,000 solo, to bring home $75,000.

touhey33
02-21-2005, 09:34 PM
i will voice my opinion, this is still america. a decent lifestyle, my area, average joe, family of four: mortgage $2200. health insurence $1400. electric $90. car payment $300. cable t.v. $110. water $45. phone $50. food $400. heat $100. gas for the car $120. pre school $135. life ins $135. car ins $100. there are some miscelaneous expenses as well as clothing, school functions, etc. but just the ones i mentioned come out to $5185 each month. this is the average cost of a couple buying thier first home and starting a family here where i live. so they need to clear $62,220 a year, just to get by. want to live decent, u need to clear maybe $75,000. are you doing that solo? can you do that solo? it would seem to me you would die trying. you'll need to gross around $135,000 solo, to bring home $75,000.
One, I don't live where you do and the cost of living isn't quite the same. I am 23, when I was 21 I bought my first house with my Fiance, And didn't make but maybe 35,000 combined. Next most mortgages for an average house aren't close to 2200. If the cost of living is so high there than the lco's should charge more to make it come out even. Also I understand that you can voice your opinion if you want(because its definitley clear that you do that), but You saying that it is impossible to make a decent living being solo is just plain ignorant, and I don't understand how someone so ignorant can have a successful business.

DennisF
02-21-2005, 09:37 PM
Since you're in the south the mowing season is extended. You should be able average 40 cuts per year in Louisiana. So...lets say you can manage 75 lawns per week (15 per day, 5 days per week) that will gross $25 each. We have:

40 X 75 = 3000 potential lawn mowing's that you could do.

$25 X 3000 = $75,000 potential gross from lawn service.

During the winter and early spring here in the south there is a lot of clean-up work, mulch work, shrub work, etc. that can increase the gross $ figures significantly.

Bottom line is that you can gross between $75,000-$100,000 as a solo if you really want to work. Doing 75 lawns solo is no picnic, but it can be done with the right equipment and a strong work ethic. Expenses can trim the gross by 40-50%, but you still have a decent income from a solo operation.

j fisher
02-21-2005, 09:42 PM

And you know this how? A solo operator here can do very well if there willing to put in the hours. By the way, what do you consider poverty? Here's where I live.

dvmcmrhp52
02-21-2005, 10:04 PM

$410,000 mortgage?(2200/month)
That aint average joe, even in N.J.

Health insurance, $1400/ month?
Your wife has you covered Mr. Gedd, just like most.
It aint average Joe.

$110/ month for cable TV?
Mine is $45/ month. Lose all the premium channels......
It aint average Joe.

And of course no one's spouse works these days to contribute
to the monthly bills, Eh Bobby?

Average joe is a bit different from the wonderland called New Jersey, That's why I left the comfort of a ten year stint with a growing company and very promising future in South Plainfield............disneyland isn't someplace I want to spend that many hours each and every day.

landcare pa
02-21-2005, 10:41 PM
hey bobby i guess you started at the top i wish i was still a solo guy yet but instead 34 employees, it was still fun as a solo, once you get to big you loose the connection of what it`s like to be out in the dirt and become a spitefull ,negitive person , why dont you run for the senate or something where you can sling bullsh-t to someone who enjoys it. the answer to this question depends on how much you want to make , i think if you gross $65,000-$80,000 you should be able to clear $45,000-50,000 grand and have nice equipment,and still enjoy life i remember what it was like to start with 2 push-mowers in the back of a car, was layed off from my job i was 21 at the time and everyone laughed, but today im laughing all the way to the bank!!! keep your head up kid do good job for people and treat people with respect. and you will go along way. :cool2:

lawnguyland
02-21-2005, 11:27 PM

It aint average Joe.

It aint average Joe.

Average joe is a bit different from the wonderland called New Jersey, That's why I left the comfort of a ten year stint with a growing company and very promising future in South Plainfield............disneyland isn't someplace I want to spend that many hours each and every day.

Wrong, bob's #s are right on. I need at least 60k to eek by. The cheapest houses hrere are 450-500k.

bobbygedd
02-21-2005, 11:55 PM

It aint average Joe.

It aint average Joe.

my wife doesn't get bennies, she's a real estate agent, works on commission. the average house here is like 400k. and south plainfield is a slum

dvmcmrhp52
02-22-2005, 12:19 AM
and south plainfield is a slum

Not compared to second street in Plainfield it aint............ :rolleyes:

I only worked in S. Plainfield..............And yes it is a bit of a slum, but S. Clinton avenue isn't so bad..............

The Dude
02-22-2005, 01:00 AM

Having just moved up here, let me say that Bobby isn't kidding here. Everything up here costs a lot of money, every time I go out shopping for simple things like groceries I feel like I am getting ripped off. My wife moved back up here to make a decent wage at her job but we really weren't ready for the extreme cost of living. I honestly don't see how people afford houses and such up here. You cant even think about buying for less than 400,000 and thats for nothing special. We are in a 450 square foot apt and we pay 725 a month. Thats about 300 less than what many other places charge for apts around here. I had a 1300 square foot house in Richmond and my house payment was only 650 a month.
Between tolls and taxes, these people take it from you every chance they get.

promower
02-22-2005, 01:34 AM
In WI you can gross 50K and have an average joe lifestyle. Not to bad considering we only work about 7 1/2 months out of the year.

Richard Martin
02-22-2005, 05:24 AM
If the cost of living is so high there than the lco's should charge more to make it come out even.

You can only charge what the market will bear. Affordable housing for the working class is getting to be a serious issue here. There are already stirrings within our county government of forcing developers to build X number of median priced houses for every X number of high priced priced houses they build. I would be willing to bet that no developer has built a 3 bedroom 1.5 bath detached home in my county in 30 years. Just last month a 1/4 acre building lot in an "okay" neighborhood 2 miles from my house sold for $200,000.

YardPro
02-22-2005, 06:06 AM

no, that's just you bobby. :D

bobbygedd
02-22-2005, 10:30 AM
no, that's just you bobby. :D
do you realize that i fantasize about beating your butt? you are the second most annoying person that i've ever met in my lifetime. the dude...$725 is a great price for ANYTHING here. you are a tad bit north of me, in my immediate area, an apartment for less than $1200 is surely rat infested and your neighbors are selling crack. it's out of control. the figures i mentioned to you are very accurate, it cost about $5200 just to get by. you want a "good" life, about $7500 a month will do it , including the 3 neccesities-boat/bait/beer. so now tell me, can a solo op IN MY AREA live good on his income? wait, can he even live on his income? nah, not if he's following all the rules

LwnmwrMan22
02-22-2005, 10:36 AM
I hate to disagree with Bobby but I don't seem to be having any problems being a solo operator. The question isn't whether or not you will be a solo operator but instead the question is can you afford to pay a helper. I work my bottom off 9 months out of the year and my family understands this. The return for this work is in '04 I grossed almost $160,000 so as I have said in a previous thread the money is there, you just have to earn it. I have used employees in the past and all the headaches that came with them were not worth it to me.

Same here, except it's down to 6.5 months.

coonman
02-22-2005, 02:11 PM
This is a very interesting thread. At $5200 a month to get by, how can anyone afford to live there(teachers, fire, police, city workers, etc). A solo op can do fine around here. That list of monthly expenses shown above absolutely blows my mind. My monthly expenses come in around $1500 not counting food. I do have my house paid off, but you can get a nice house around here for 75,000-150,000. I used to work with several people that moved down here form NY after they sold there house there and transferred here on the same salary they lived like kings. Its amazing to see the different cost of living.

packerbacker
02-22-2005, 02:19 PM
This is a very interesting thread. At $5200 a month to get by, how can anyone afford to live there(teachers, fire, police, city workers, etc). A solo op can do fine around here. That list of monthly expenses shown above absolutely blows my mind. My monthly expenses come in around $1500 not counting food. I do have my house paid off, but you can get a nice house around here for 75,000-150,000. I used to work with several people that moved down here form NY after they sold there house there and transferred here on the same salary they lived like kings. Its amazing to see the different cost of living.

Ive always been amazed at the cost of living and how different it is around the country. I live in a 4 BR, 2 bath house and my mortgage is $800.00 roughly.

Cable $65
Gas $50
Power $50

With 2 kids we spend about $400 a month at the grocery store.

2 vehicle payments of $575.00

With that i still have over $2000.00 a month + another $2500.00 of my wifes to put back into savings. Why would anyone even want to live on the east or west coast with the amount of money you need to make just to get by?

AssuredServicesCo
02-22-2005, 02:27 PM
I've determined the amount of time spent looking for work, along with the actual work, nets next to nothing in a real profit sense. I think the way to go is to get insured properly then do commercial only. There seem to be too many illegal aliens doing homeowner work. I make a few dollars on a fertilizer program and spraying. Landscape design/installations do pay very well and you have to have a be more than a grunt to do it os it keeps out the illegal aliens. Residential maintenance is a hard niche to be profitable in. You have to go through years of customers to build up contracts at a slow pace.
Than's just my opinion. If I didn't love the job so much I wouldn't be in it. You really have to be good at customer service to make people want to use you rather than just looking at price.

bobbygedd
02-22-2005, 02:59 PM
Ive always been amazed at the cost of living and how different it is around the country. I live in a 4 BR, 2 bath house and my mortgage is $800.00 roughly.

Cable $65
Gas $50
Power $50

With 2 kids we spend about $400 a month at the grocery store.

2 vehicle payments of $575.00

With that i still have over $2000.00 a month + another $2500.00 of my wifes to put back into savings. Why would anyone even want to live on the east or west coast with the amount of money you need to make just to get by?
yea but what the hell is in kansas? like anything else, you pay for what u get.

packerbacker
02-22-2005, 03:01 PM

Largest ball of twine and of course me!

Bobby, can you dig up a picture of a house that costs 600,000 in NJ for me?

fga
02-22-2005, 03:05 PM
Largest ball of twine and of course me!

Bobby, can you dig up a picture of a house that costs 600,000 in NJ for me?
honestly, a 600,000 house here would be alittle above average. in a decent area.
you can't touch a fixer upper in a bad area for under $200 - $300.. here.

hell, you'be be lucky to rent an apartment for $800.

packerbacker
02-22-2005, 03:08 PM
honestly, a 600,000 house here would be alittle above average. in a decent area.
you can't touch a fixer upper in a bad area for under $200 - $300.. here.

hell, you'be be lucky to rent an apartment for $800.

Ill take this

http://www.realtor.com/FindHome/HomeListing.asp?frm=byxmls&xlid=1043605339&fh=on&lnksrc=feathome&poe=realtor

over a fixer upper anyday.

I understand its your guys home but sometimes you have to think whats best for the long run and for the family.

Flex-Deck
02-22-2005, 03:09 PM
I am looking at about $58,000 gross - part time this coming summer. (30 hrs per wk- 26 weeks)

mattydjakd
02-22-2005, 03:12 PM
heres a house for 800K in Fairfield county, CT.

packerbacker
02-22-2005, 03:13 PM
i dont know how you people do it on the east coast, i would of packed up and left years ago.

fga
02-22-2005, 03:14 PM
Ill take this

http://www.realtor.com/FindHome/HomeListing.asp?frm=byxmls&xlid=1043605339&fh=on&lnksrc=feathome&poe=realtor

over a fixer upper anyday.

I understand its your guys home but sometimes you have to think whats best for the long run and for the family.
that's beautiful no doubt. me and my wife would love to move out of here, but our entire family is here, on top of an abundance of work.

the thing is, i like going on vacation to towns like that, but always get homesick shortly after.. especially when we go to Pennsylvainia

packerbacker
02-22-2005, 03:21 PM
that's beautiful no doubt. me and my wife would love to move out of here, but our entire family is here, on top of an abundance of work.

the thing is, i like going on vacation to towns like that, but always get homesick shortly after.. especially when we go to Pennsylvainia

Obviously i dont know what your financial situation is but i can tell you if you are working to pay bills and you no money left over at the end of the month its time to make a change. I dont make a huge amount of money but we live comfortably. Obviously i would like to make more,as would all of us, but the one thing im not doing is working just to make the mortgage.

fga
02-22-2005, 03:24 PM
i found some houses online real quick, check these prices out.

http://www.domsold.com/bin/web/real_estate/AR33078/HOME_SEARCH/Staten+Island/1108663143.html?ZKEY=&acnt=AR33078&action=HOME_SEARCH&inwindow=&hs_action=VIEW_DETAIL&listing_id=REAOAK2572602&start=0&grp=ALL

http://realtor.com/FindHome/HomeListing.asp?frm=byxmls&xlid=1038200774&fh=on&lnksrc=feathome&poe=realtor

http://realtor.com/FindHome/HomeListing.asp?frm=byxmls&xlid=1043868568&fh=on&lnksrc=feathome&poe=realtor

packerbacker
02-22-2005, 03:29 PM
A duplex for over half a million! thats insane,

bobbygedd
02-22-2005, 03:36 PM
A duplex for over half a million! thats insane,
now do u see why i rant over low priced lawn boys? my wife sells crappy houses....by crappy i mean not outright shacks, but older house with relatively no property, and these go for 300k

packerbacker
02-22-2005, 03:41 PM
now do u see why i rant over low priced lawn boys? my wife sells crappy houses....by crappy i mean not outright shacks, but older house with relatively no property, and these go for 300k

Gedd i understand why you do it, the question is can you understand why we all dont charge the same now? ive been saying it for months, we charge what the market allows us to charge in different parts of the country. Thats why us in the midwest can get 125 an acre and people over on the east coast are getting 45 or 50 an acre. Its different everywhere you go. thats why most of us say your union idea is good but it will never work, there cant be a standard for pricing because the economy is different all over the country.

SpudsM15
02-22-2005, 04:24 PM
Bobby is about right on the cost of living up here...
My future wife and I are trying to find a place to stay but... this will be my 3rd season ...Still building a customer base and getting a apartment for 900 a month will be hard for us to save anything... Since both of us are 21 we are both paying about 2k for car insurance alone....
My parents bought their house for 70k back in 82 now it is worth over 550k... the prop is only 100x100, prop tax this year will be 6.6k!!! and yes basic cable here costs about 50 bones then add cable modem... another 50..

coonman
02-22-2005, 05:05 PM
Just exactly what are you paying for up there besides wall to wall traffic. Florida or Southern California temps? Not. I can see paying big bucks for a condo on the beach in Siesta Key Florida(which is my plan) where it is 75 degrees there today. I have been to the Northeast many times in the past for a previous job and US Open Tennis. Always thought it was ok, but nothing stood out besides the traffic and crowds.

LB Landscaping
02-22-2005, 05:10 PM
Wow, thats some ridiculous pricing!!! For that kind of money here you can get the world.

bobbygedd
02-22-2005, 06:00 PM
Just exactly what are you paying for up there besides wall to wall traffic. Florida or Southern California temps? Not. I can see paying big bucks for a condo on the beach in Siesta Key Florida(which is my plan) where it is 75 degrees there today. I have been to the Northeast many times in the past for a previous job and US Open Tennis. Always thought it was ok, but nothing stood out besides the traffic and crowds.
i am paying for a small piece of paradise my boy. i love it here. i am about 25 min from the beautiful atlantic ocean. i am 45 min from mountains. i am 35 min from new york city. 1.5 hrs from atlantic city. i can take my boat out and see whales, catch many different species of fish, crabs, clams. we have a bar on every corner, hookers, you name it. new jersey and you...perfect together

Evan528
02-22-2005, 06:04 PM
Must be nice to be able to by a nice house for $100,000. I own a small 2 bedroom 1400SQ ft townhouse is absolutly no property and my house is going for $215,000. You need to spend at least 400,000 here also to buy a nice single home with 1/4 acre. :realmad:

I make a good living but unfortunatly landscape prices just havent kept up with the cost of living in this area. You can only charge what the market will bear.

DennisF
02-22-2005, 06:28 PM
i am paying for a small piece of paradise my boy. i love it here. i am about 25 min from the beautiful atlantic ocean. i am 45 min from mountains. i am 35 min from new york city. 1.5 hrs from atlantic city. i can take my boat out and see whales, catch many different species of fish, crabs, clams. we have a bar on every corner, hookers, you name it. new jersey and you...perfect together

Bobby
Paradise is here in Florida. You can get a 2,000 SF home with a caged swimming pool and a full acre for $200,000 or less in some areas. I'm 5 minutes from the Gulf of Mexico and the best fishing on the planet. One hour from Tampa, 1.5 hours from Orlando, 2 hours from Daytona and the Atlantic beaches. This "Endless Summer" weather is great and best of all... no snow...we just cut grass all year.

Of course you can't make as much money in our business down here, but you can live comfortably if you don't mind putting in a lot of hours and carrying a lot of accounts. My biggest complaint right now is all the snow birds from the north are down here clogging up the roads and driving like they're lost. Between Christmas and Easter the population where I live doubles. Motor homes and travel trailers everywhere. I'll be glad when you LCO's up north start cutting and these "Winter Wanderer's" leave so I can get to my lawns quicker.

coonman
02-22-2005, 06:41 PM
Paradise? definiton see Tahiti, Jamaica, Virgin Islands. I can be at one of our hundreds of beautiful lakes in 30 minutes. Be at the Ozark mountains in about 1.5 hours, the Kiamichi mountains in 2 hours. The casino's in 5 minutes. Restaurants and bars are on every corner. Yes we too have hookers. You have got me on the ocean but only when it is over 65 degrees or so. :D

bobbygedd
02-22-2005, 08:23 PM
i'm sorry, i've been to florida, paradise it is not. who wants the same season all year round? who wants to cut grass all year round? ok, so i caught some decent bass, but the crokodile i saw damn near gave me a heart attack. the people, well, can you say short bus? and the chics...i thought jersey girls were easy. what do you have to say to a florida chic to get her in bed? answer: hi

fga
02-22-2005, 08:40 PM
i'm sorry, i've been to florida, paradise it is not. who wants the same season all year round? who wants to cut grass all year round? ok, so i caught some decent bass, but the crokodile i saw damn near gave me a heart attack. the people, well, can you say short bus? and the chics...i thought jersey girls were easy. what do you have to say to a florida chic to get her in bed? answer: hi
:D :D :D :D maybe you ran in to my slutty cousin! they came up from florida, and this guy in the deli came over over casual... looked her, choked on coffee, and said "you look like micheal jackson!" good tmes good times..
she said new "yerkers" r mean.
oh, get this, they get there hair cuts (the whole family) done at the local "gator cuts" :D

lawnguyland
02-22-2005, 09:26 PM
I say we start a rumble...all of us within 50 miles of NYC against the rest of yas. :waving:

j fisher
02-22-2005, 09:49 PM
I say we start a rumble...all of us within 50 miles of NYC against the rest of yas. :waving:

Bring it on.

bobbygedd
02-22-2005, 09:52 PM
Bring it on.
ok, look. i'll give you ric and yardmo, and i'll take jodi and mowerbabe. if i'm late...start without me

lawnguyland
02-22-2005, 10:02 PM
Too funny! See, this is what the winter does to us. O wait, we're always like that up here. I think I just heard a can of worms open.

fga
02-22-2005, 10:08 PM
Too funny! See, this is what the winter does to us. O wait, we're always like that up here. I think I just heard a can of worms open.
can of worms? in NY, we say can of whip@ss... :p but your from LI, so i'll give you a break.

j fisher
02-22-2005, 10:10 PM

What you say we shelve the worms, and open a can of beer instead?? I'm thirsty

BOTURF
02-22-2005, 10:10 PM
It was simply amazing to read this thread and what it cost to live in that God foresaken place they call jorsey, there is now way in h@ll i could afford to be a lco in jorsey , oh he&% there is now way i would ever live there or could afford to , im with Dennis Florida is the place to be esp. on the gold( gulf ) coast . When i retire and sell my biz in a few years gulf coast here i come

fga
02-22-2005, 10:12 PM
It was simply amazing to read this thread and what it cost to live in that God foresaken place they call jorsey, there is now way in h@ll i could afford to be a lco in jorsey , oh he&% there is now way i would ever live there or could afford to , im with Dennis Florida is the place to be esp. on the gold( gulf ) coast . When i retire and sell my biz in a few years gulf coast here i come
those links are for NY, but it is very similar.

nriddle77
02-22-2005, 10:53 PM
Paradise? definiton see Tahiti, Jamaica, Virgin Islands. I can be at one of our hundreds of beautiful lakes in 30 minutes. Be at the Ozark mountains in about 1.5 hours, the Kiamichi mountains in 2 hours. The casino's in 5 minutes. Restaurants and bars are on every corner. Yes we too have hookers. You have got me on the ocean but only when it is over 65 degrees or so. :D

Right on Coonman! Those are some of the things I'm looking forward to enjoying when I move back to Tulsa and the end of this year. Oklahoma is a great place to live and very affordable too. In Tulsa and other areas it is possible for a solo LCO to make it. You can live in a 400k house, but there are plenty of affordable houses too.

Evergreenpros
02-23-2005, 02:46 AM
Expenses can trim the gross by 40-50%, but you still have a decent income from a solo operation.

I would have to say that if you cut grass and do general grounds care with expenses of 40-50% of gross and you have no labor expense (solo) you have a SPENDING problem, not a revenue problem.

50k in expenses on 100k of revenue? What in the world are you people spending your money on?? Beer and strippers are NOT business expenses!!!!! :drinkup:

DennisF
02-23-2005, 08:33 AM
I would have to say that if you cut grass and do general grounds care with expenses of 40-50% of gross and you have no labor expense (solo) you have a SPENDING problem, not a revenue problem.

50k in expenses on 100k of revenue? What in the world are you people spending your money on?? Beer and strippers are NOT business expenses!!!!! :drinkup:

Your profile says that you have zero years in this business and that explains why you think a 50% expense ratio is high. After you've been in this business a few years you'll realize that 50% is about the norm for a solo. A 40% expense ratio is low for a solo. My expense ratio for 2004 was 47% and I think that figure is decent, but can be improved. I'll be trying to reduce it to 45% or less for this year. Many new business owners don't have a good understanding of the cost of doing business. They make the mistake of focusing on cash flow through the business, and don't realize what the costs are to generate that cash flow. It is the #1 reason for small business failures in the U.S.

When you start accounting for the costs of a tow vehicle, mowing equipment, insurance, gasoline, maintenance, replacement parts...you start to understand.

If you are new this business, I wish you all the luck. But make sure you allow enough for expenses in your business plan or it will spell disaster.

PMLAWN
02-23-2005, 08:45 AM
Beer and strippers are NOT business expenses!!!!! :drinkup:

You need a better Accountant. :)

By the Yard
02-23-2005, 11:15 AM
i can take my boat out and see whales, catch many different species of fish, crabs, clams.

With how pissed of Bobby gets, somehow I keep thinking about the two go out, one come back Soprano theory :D

By the Yard
02-23-2005, 11:17 AM
Sorry OFF, no OF....need coffee......

packerbacker
02-23-2005, 11:50 AM
Your profile says that you have zero years in this business and that explains why you think a 50% expense ratio is high. After you've been in this business a few years you'll realize that 50% is about the norm for a solo. A 40% expense ratio is low for a solo. My expense ratio for 2004 was 47% and I think that figure is decent, but can be improved. I'll be trying to reduce it to 45% or less for this year. Many new business owners don't have a good understanding of the cost of doing business. They make the mistake of focusing on cash flow through the business, and don't realize what the costs are to generate that cash flow. It is the #1 reason for small business failures in the U.S.

When you start accounting for the costs of a tow vehicle, mowing equipment, insurance, gasoline, maintenance, replacement parts...you start to understand.

If you are new this business, I wish you all the luck. But make sure you allow enough for expenses in your business plan or it will spell disaster.

What are you spending 50% worth of expenses on? I had about 30% this year and i bought some new equipment, something i dont do every year.

lawnguyland
02-23-2005, 12:21 PM
What are you spending 50% worth of expenses on? I had about 30% this year and i bought some new equipment, something i dont do every year.

Simply for round numbers sake let's pretend I grossed $100k solo and had expenses of $55k so I net $45k and pay taxes on that. Consider that of the expenses, many things I use in daily life are considered business expenses and that I don't at least have to pay taxes on. Also 5k of that might have been spent on shrubs/plants so it's not really income, but the mark-up is.

All of these things are expenses, but things I use or would pay for anyway:

1. I live in a rented house and deduct a good chunk of rent for basement, office, and garage all used for business. Rent is over 2k/month.
I love NY. :realmad:
1.5 Oh yeah, plus deduct some % of utilities, cable for radar (snow removal and scheduling), cable internet for website)
2. My truck expenses/gas/etc (most of it anyway), insurances
3. Cell phones, home phones (most of it)
4. All the equipment I buy each year I still have left and now have a huge inventory of equip, especially for one guy (doubles of all equip at least so no downtime other than 5 min drive to garage and I could easily outfit another crew)
5. Helath care is at least deductible, although it's frikin expensive
6. No lawncare expenses for me
7. I'm sure there's more, but you get the idea.
8. Almost forgot IRA contributions of 3k.

I'm not here to argue about the 100k figure, I just use it for simplicity. However, I think as a solo around NYC you need to make about 80-100k gross to live.

So, If I do keep 45k before taxes (just go with me here) we know that I at least I won't be using that 45k for any of the expenses listed above, except for maybe small percentages of those things listed that I can not deduct 100% of. Plus, as a bonus I have lots of equipment and a sweet route that I can sell when I'm done.

packerbacker
02-23-2005, 12:43 PM
Thats probably we were differ is location of where we live and health care. I dont have health care for myself and wife and kids get it through her company and i know from past threads here i have had that cost of living on the east coast is half of the midwest

I dont know how you guys do it. I would of packed up years ago and moved somewhere else.

Richard Martin
02-23-2005, 12:57 PM
1. I live in a rented house and deduct a good chunk of rent for basement, office, and garage all used for business. Rent is over 2k/month.
I love NY. :realmad:
1.5 Oh yeah, plus deduct some % of utilities, cable for radar (snow removal and scheduling), cable internet for website)
2. My truck expenses/gas/etc (most of it anyway), insurances
3. Cell phones, home phones (most of it)

I wouldn't want to be you if the IRS calls you in for a sitdown.

dishboy
02-23-2005, 12:58 PM

I have been in business or for 25 years and feel 50% is very high for a normal year.

packerbacker
02-23-2005, 01:08 PM
I have been in business or for 25 years and feel 50% is very high for a normal year.

Im going into my 6th year and ive never had 50% of expenses.

lsylvain
02-23-2005, 01:13 PM
You guys want to talk about home prices. I am an accountant for a real estate company in Florida. We sell condos for 2 and 3 million yes, a condo is nothing more than an apartment you buy and guess what you still have to pay rent but they call it assosiation fees, but they run as much as rent. My boss just bought the bottom floor of a duplex for $850,000. But fortuanatly here there is also cheap housing for us poor folk. You can get a really really fixer upper in a shotty area for around 100k. Nothing in a good area for under $300 unless it damaged somehow.

lawnguyland
02-23-2005, 02:08 PM
I wouldn't want to be you if the IRS calls you in for a sitdown.
I'm not afraid. I only take about 25-30% of those costs as deductible, but 33% of $24,000 per year rent is $8,00 right there (round #s). I have receipts and records for everything. Health care is $9,000/ yr for me & wife. Student loan interest 2k. It all adds up really fast. I pay almost 10k per year to the state in sales taxes, above and beyond the fed. I don't hide anything. It's all legit. My accountant will tell them too. Like I said above, I only take pecentages of items listed in previous post. It just amazes me how quickly the 100k gets whittled down..

To clarify- I have my own business website so my internet is a business expense, insurance is a business expense (we have separate ins. on personal car), all home office is legit expense, so what should I be worried about exactly. I'm not taking 100% deducts on these all of these things either. More like 25-30%. Should I not deduct electric and heat that is used in my shop and office? Of course I should and so should you.

packerbacker
02-23-2005, 02:22 PM
I'm not afraid. I only take about 25-30% of those costs as deductible, but 33% of $24,000 per year rent is $8,00 right there (round #s). I have receipts and records for everything. Health care is $9,000/ yr for me & wife. Student loan interest 2k. It all adds up really fast. I pay almost 10k per year to the state in sales taxes, above and beyond the fed. I don't hide anything. It's all legit. My accountant will tell them too. Like I said above, I only take pecentages of items listed in previous post. It just amazes me how quickly the 100k gets whittled down..

To clarify- I have my own business website so my internet is a business expense, insurance is a business expense (we have separate ins. on personal car), all home office is legit expense, so what should I be worried about exactly. I'm not taking 100% deducts on these all of these things either. More like 25-30%. Should I not deduct electric and heat that is used in my shop and office? Of course I should and so should you.

9000 a year for health care? Damn , i just got quotes for a family of 4 and it was about $3600.00.

lawnguyland
02-23-2005, 02:31 PM
9000 a year for health care? Damn , i just got quotes for a family of 4 and it was about $3600.00.
No BS at all. Wife got laid off as store she worked at closed and thus we have to pay thru COBRA $700 for health care and $50 dental per month. 12 months a year is $9,000. Fun, fun, fun!. Won't last too long once she gets teaching cert and benefits or if we can get health ins. thru her university when she goes in May. F U Insurance comapanies. F U.

Markf
02-23-2005, 08:33 PM
Guys,
I'm from Fairfield county and I don't know what fga, bobbygedd and lawnguyland pay in real estate taxes, but here they start at $6000 and go into 5 digits. (greater than 10,000). Just to give you midwestern guys an idea, in 1992 I sold my house in NY state (lower Rockland county) for 235,000. Get this, it was brick, 1500 sq. ft. 2/3 acre, 2 car detached garage, garbage p/u and sewer included in the real eatste taxes. $5200/year in 1992. My father paid (in NY state) on a 1000 sq. ft. in 1993 $3600/year with no sewers. And that included his WW II and Korean vet discount. When I retire, Montana or one of the Carolinas for me.

Flex-Deck
02-23-2005, 08:55 PM
Efficiency is the deal - I make $1000 per day just me and my mower - when my wife can help - it is $1350 per day. Go Figure.

DennisF
02-23-2005, 09:03 PM

I don't want to get into how much money I grossed on a public forum, but here are a few of the expenses I had in 2004.

Tow vehicle expense: 26,600 miles X .375 = $9,975
Fuel-off road: $3,768
Liability insurance: $1,225
Equipment depreciation: $5,477
Interest: $1,504
Cost of goods sold (Mulch, flowers, Shrubs, etc.) $7,875

These are not all of the expenses I incurred in 2004, but it is an example of some of the items that have to be accounted for. I haven't included items like replacement parts for equipment, equipment maintenance, blades, belts, trimmer line, filters, oil/grease, Tangibles taxes, license fees, office expenses, accountant fees, cell phone, P.O. Box, amortization, etc.

coastallandscapesolutions
02-23-2005, 09:07 PM
Let's see, I do pretty good $$$ wise. This is the back side of my house. I just finished my addition which gave me 1480sqft for the new master bedroom, bath and cedar lined closet for my wife. The closet has 36 liner feet of hanging space. Of that I have 6'... LOL

02-23-2005, 09:08 PM
Here is the semi finished job. The house sits on 2.63 acres.

David Grass
02-23-2005, 09:09 PM
Yes, I am in North Carolina, and DONT MOVE HERE, I dont want the competition!!!!!!!! I am 5 hours from Charleston where we Sea Kayak, 3and a half from Atlanta, 5 from Nashville (FUN TOWN!!!) one minute from the Blue Ridge Parkway, Minutes from serene trout fishing, one hour from the great smokeys national park (which has the most diverse flora of anywhere in USA), and is the most visited national park in USA, can drive to the outer banks (LOVE OKRACOKE) in a day, can drive to FLORIDA (upper part, where we sea kayak with the manatee each year) in a day, can drive to the DELTA of Misssissipi in a day, and my house payment is 750 a month because we went with 15 instead of 30 years. and we get about a dollar a minute (no myth here) per yard/per person. Stay in JERSEY!!!!! BTW I do love NY, Stay in Kansas, stay in Oklahoma, STAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

02-23-2005, 09:15 PM
Here's the front. We bought it in Jan 2004. Paid it off this Jan. Right now I am finishing a 20' X 20' deck off the master bedroom for the new hottub. The deck is going to wrap around the back of the house where I am going to build a pool this summer. So yes, you can make money in this business. But you have to learn to say "no" to jobs that are going to make you money.

http://www.dollnook.com/images/House%20pics%20on%203-6/CIMG0354.JPG

MJhnson Lawn
02-23-2005, 09:17 PM
I'm a solo LCO and I only work part time and it beats most part time jobs.

fga
02-23-2005, 09:52 PM
not to go eben further off here... but i saw on the news today, they were discussing real estate prices in manhatta.... :dizzy:
THESE ARE FOR APARTMENTS>>

$259,000 for a studio
$427,000 for 1 bedroom
$845,000 for two bedrooms
$2.1 million for three bedrooms,

don't believe me... here is the link from today's news. people who can't afford to live in the city, try to come here cuz its only a $1 ferry ride to lower manhattan... that's one reason they are so high here.
http://www.ny1.com/ny/Boroughs/SubTopic/index.html?topicintid=3&subtopicintid=8&contentintid=48450

Evan528
02-23-2005, 10:21 PM
Coastal, The big question though is how much is a house like that worth where you live? That house on over 2.5 acre here would run you probly in the neighborhood of $600,000 if not more. I have seen other members post pictures of there huge brand new house they just built and im envious of how well they are doing..... The I find out it only cost them $200,000 to have it built when you wouldnt be able to touch it for under 500,000 here.

02-23-2005, 10:29 PM
Coastal, The big question though is how much is a house like that worth where you live? That house on over 2.5 acre here would run you probly in the neighborhood of $600,000 if not more. I have seen other members post pictures of there huge brand new house they just built and im envious of how well they are doing..... The I find out it only cost them $200,000 to have it built when you wouldnt be able to touch it for under 500,000 here.

We paid $235K in Jan 2004. Since that time the value has risen 28% here before I did the remodel and addition. With the house now sitting at 3600 hsqft (5 bedrooms & 3.5 baths) it is now worth around $350K. When I am done it will bump another $100K by the end of the year.

In Jan 2004 an acre of land was selling for $35K. They now sell them for $85K.

Not a bad investment.

TLM
02-23-2005, 11:00 PM
It's NOT a crack house, it's a crack home!
http://www.lawnsite.com/images/statusicon/forum_new.gif

Royalslover
02-24-2005, 12:24 AM
Packer Backer, what's the name of your company?

Flex- Deck, how the heck do you make $1000 in a day? I've only topped $700 about 3 times in my whole career. And thats a loooooong haaaaaard day. Is that commercial or residential?

bobbygedd
02-24-2005, 12:28 AM

Flex- Deck, how the heck do you make $1000 in a day? I've only topped $700 about 3 times in my whole career. And thats a loooooong haaaaaard day. Is that commercial or residential?
3 fillings and 2 medium sized lawns

packerbacker
02-24-2005, 12:58 AM

If you want it send me a PM and ill let you know, the last thing i need is some mullet wearing pshyco named bobby chasing me down :)

Richard Martin
02-24-2005, 05:50 AM
In Jan 2004 an acre of land was selling for $35K. They now sell them for $85K.

That's still a deal. 1/4 building lots here are $200k. At Kitty Hawk and Nags Head they probably even more than that now if you can find one.

02-24-2005, 07:34 AM
That's still a deal. 1/4 building lots here are $200k. At Kitty Hawk and Nags Head they probably even more than that now if you can find one.

In 1984 I bought a beach house on Ocean Blvd. here in the Golden Mile for $189,000. We sold in 18 months ago for $1.2M. The people who bought it stripped the house and did a $800K remodel. Doesn't even look like the same house.

Here is what we used to wake up to every morning from the bedroom. We miss it but we do not miss the taxes or the tourist that would knock on the door from the beach to use the bathroom. It had gotten really bad.

02-24-2005, 07:35 AM
Here's a picture of the back of the house with the deck. It sat at 4502 N Ocean Blvd. The Master bedroom is on the left in the picture and the living room on the right.

Richard Martin
02-24-2005, 09:58 AM
We sold in 18 months ago for $1.2M. The people who bought it stripped the house and did a $800K remodel. Doesn't even look like the same house.

Here is what we used to wake up to every morning from the bedroom.

Don't you just love it when beachfront goes for that much? Since they totally rebuilt the house they effectively only bought the lot.

Those are some great sunrises you people get down there. No doubt about it! :)

02-24-2005, 09:59 AM
Don't you just love it when beachfront goes for that much? Since they totally rebuilt the house they effectively only bought the lot.

Those are some great sunrises you people get down there. No doubt about it! :)

I looked the appraised value up online a few minutes ago and it is now worth $2.6M. I hate to think what they are paying in taxes now.

Gene $immons
02-24-2005, 11:17 AM
Here is a picture of a $600,000 home for sale in Oklahoma city.

http://www.kermitbrown.com/Property.aspx?ID=66

bobbygedd
02-24-2005, 11:23 AM
that house is 2 million here

Gene $immons
02-24-2005, 11:34 AM
I can't believe the costs of living back east. (Why do beople always say "back"east b.t.w.?)

There is no way I could afford to live there and have a small mowing company.

Gene $immons
02-24-2005, 11:39 AM
Here is a 2 million home.

bobbygedd
02-24-2005, 11:41 AM
looks like it's cut with a 21" too.

Gene $immons
02-24-2005, 12:05 PM
It is. All of the homes like that here are. And bagged. Average crew size is 5.

bobbygedd
02-24-2005, 12:07 PM
what do they charge to mow a yard like that? fert?

packerbacker
02-24-2005, 12:08 PM
It is. All of the homes like that here are. And bagged. Average crew size is 5.

Why..........?

Richard Martin
02-24-2005, 12:12 PM
This gem is going for $624k on .17 (yes, that's point 17) acre:

http://homepics.realtor.com/image10/http/washingtondc/listings/large/060/aa5116079.jpg

Gene $immons
02-24-2005, 12:20 PM
Why..........?
Because it works for the maintenance company. People who live in houses like this don't care what the cost is. They want every service you pffer as well. People who live in these neighborhoods are millionaires and they don't blink at spending over $30,000 a year on gardening services. Plus most of them own bigger businesses that look just as nice.

packerbacker
02-24-2005, 12:29 PM
Because it works for the maintenance company. People who live in houses like this don't care what the cost is. They want every service you pffer as well. People who live in these neighborhoods are millionaires and they don't blink at spending over $30,000 a year on gardening services. Plus most of them own bigger businesses that look just as nice.

Wouldnt it be more cost effective to buy bigger mowers and get the yards done faster? That way they also wouldnt need 5 man crews.

Gene $immons
02-24-2005, 12:35 PM
The particular company who does this yard is bigtime. Would you like to see a pic of the owners house? He knows what he is doing.

packerbacker
02-24-2005, 12:37 PM
The particular company who does this yard is bigtime. Would you like to see a pic of the owners house? He knows what he is doing.

Im sure he does, for me it wouldnt be cost effective at all and i think it looks better with wide stripes. It would seem he would have to have 300-400 houses to make up for the 5 man crews when he could make the same amount money with 2 man crews and 200 houses.

Gene $immons
02-24-2005, 12:42 PM
Yeah, I like the big stripes too. Like I said, this company is off the charts when you compare it to others, he has a huge nursery etc..

wrestlingcoach
02-24-2005, 02:05 PM
Sure am glad i live in OKla, my 2200 sq ft house on 1.08 acres was just appraised for $145,000..... i wonder how much in jersey or calif

lawnguyland
02-24-2005, 02:29 PM
Sure am glad i live in OKla, my 2200 sq ft house on 1.08 acres was just appraised for $145,000..... i wonder how much in jersey or calif

It would be very close to about seven billion dollars here. More or less.

Richard Martin
02-24-2005, 03:09 PM

Hmm.. Your house is kinda small but it has a big lot. :)

In my area I would guess around $600k to 2,3 or 4 mill and up depending on the house and location (waterfront, waterview, cul de sac etc).

Grass Gator
02-24-2005, 04:37 PM

Gene.....is that Gaillardia?

rodfather
02-24-2005, 04:54 PM
I can't believe the costs of living back east. (Why do beople always say "back"east b.t.w.?)

Because that is where most people came from at one time or another years ago...probably part of the great migration across our country.

Grass Gator
02-24-2005, 05:04 PM

What company is it?

Flex-Deck
02-24-2005, 05:55 PM

You must be dam young - my health insurance is $900 per month - I am 58 - with a 19 year old in college. Major problem is that at my age it is hard to change companies. They want to basically disect your body to see if there are any risks.

bobbygedd
02-24-2005, 07:10 PM
yea but packer, you'll be seeing a witch doctor in a grass hut for your $3600

packerbacker
02-24-2005, 07:29 PM
You must be dam young - my health insurance is $900 per month - I am 58 - with a 19 year old in college. Major problem is that at my age it is hard to change companies. They want to basically disect your body to see if there are any risks.

Im 30, my wife is 30, we have a 21 month son and 2 week old son, and ive been to the hospital once in the last 12 years.

$50 copays and $15 dollar prescriptions with a $250 dollar deductible

Flex-Deck
02-24-2005, 07:30 PM
Cool - Be aware that that premium is only going to go up big time. - I think I can remember being 30 - Long time ago.

rodfather
02-24-2005, 07:34 PM
Cool - Be aware that that premium is only going to go up big time. - I think I can remember being 30 - Long time ago.

I can't Brad and you're I think 8 years older than me...LOL

packerbacker
02-24-2005, 07:58 PM

yeah i know, health cares a bi*ch but there not much i can do about it. Especially if the wife doesnt want to go back to work

Grass Gator
02-24-2005, 11:16 PM
Packer - Who is your healt care provider!??

packerbacker
02-25-2005, 10:22 AM
Packer - Who is your healt care provider!??

I dont have one right now. My wife and kids are covered through her work which is United Medical Resource.

When i checked out quotes for me I did a search on the internet for family health care and had 3-4 people call me with numerous companies and quotes. I know one of them was Blue Cross & Blue Shield and another was Mega Life.

captaingreen
02-25-2005, 10:24 AM
I dont have one right now. My wife and kids are covered through her work which is United Medical Resource.

When i checked out quotes for me I did a search on the internet for family health care and had 3-4 people call me with numerous companies and quotes. I know one of them was Blue Cross & Blue Shield and another was Mega Life.
After spending alot of time comparing and talking with other people, I chose BCBS a couple of years ago and they have been good to work with. I would definitely reccomend them. I only have to insure myself, my wife is insured through work.

packerbacker
02-25-2005, 10:42 AM
After spending alot of time comparing and talking with other people, I chose BCBS a couple of years ago and they have been good to work with. I would definitely reccomend them. I only have to insure myself, my wife is insured through work.

Do you have any idea how they did with family plans? I dont know how much longer my wife wants to work.

captaingreen
02-25-2005, 10:50 AM
Do you have any idea how they did with family plans? I dont know how much longer my wife wants to work.
No, I've never asked for a family quote, but I will be pretty soon. We're having our first in early October so I need to start checking which will be better- hers or my insurance.

packerbacker
02-25-2005, 10:53 AM
No, I've never asked for a family quote, but I will be pretty soon. We're having our first in early October so I need to start checking which will be better- hers or my insurance.

Sorry, i didnt mean for quotes, i already have those, i meant for just overall satisfaction

But congrats on the new addition, we just had our 2nd son 2 weeks. kids change everything

Grass Gator
02-25-2005, 11:42 PM
that house is 2 million here

Here is what 2.8 Million will buy in OKC (12,750 sq feet)

http://www.oklahomacounty.org/assessor/Searches/sketches/picfile/3838/3838202671090001yA.jpg

Richard Martin
02-26-2005, 03:53 AM
Here is what 2.8 Million will buy in OKC (12,750 sq feet)

You people have it way too cheap out there.

Grass Gator
02-26-2005, 10:32 AM
we are very lucky here for sure. We just bult our house last fall.....2 stories, 3,477 sq ft. for $224,900

ksmmoto
02-27-2005, 04:27 AM
I paid $48,000 for my house, barn, pole barn and several other buildings on 40 acres.

That was in 1991 however. Now valued around $150,000, still not much compared to the numbers I have seen posted on here.

Before everybody wants to move here I must say it is 6 degrees out and hasn't been over 40 since October.

ksmmoto

scarr133
02-27-2005, 11:12 AM
If the cheapest homes there are $450-$500K, then it seems to me that you should move somewhere esle, where you can get the same if not bigger house, probably in just as nice of an area, for a hell of a lot less than $500K.

lawnguyland
02-27-2005, 11:51 AM
If the cheapest homes there are $450-$500K, then it seems to me that you should move somewhere esle, where you can get the same if not bigger house, probably in just as nice of an area, for a hell of a lot less than $500K.
I think a good plan is to make lots of $ in the northeast and then move south or west with lots of loot and buy a nice place with lots of property.

rodfather
02-27-2005, 12:59 PM
I think a good plan is to make lots of $ in the northeast and then move south or west with lots of loot and buy a nice place with lots of property.

Exactly what I am in the process of doing for the last 11 years and 5 more until I turn 55...you can color me gone cause Joysee is gonna be in my rearview mirror one last time. I love South Carolina (my dad lives there) and that is where I'm going.

PMLAWN
02-27-2005, 03:08 PM
. I love South Carolina (my dad lives there) and that is where I'm going.

I will hold you to that. :) :)

Richard Martin
02-27-2005, 06:37 PM
Exactly what I am in the process of doing for the last 11 years and 5 more until I turn 55...you can color me gone cause Joysee is gonna be in my rearview mirror one last time. I love South Carolina (my dad lives there) and that is where I'm going.

That's exactly what I'm doing in 3 to 8 years. I already have my 2.6 acres in North Carolina.

lawnguyland
02-27-2005, 07:12 PM
I believe my idea is copyrighted so Rodfather and R. Martin will have to stay here. Sorry, rules are rules. Well, alright you can go too. We can sit on our porches I reckon.

rodfather
02-28-2005, 09:01 AM
No no no no no...I've been thinking about this a very loooooonnnnnnggggg time...LOL

Bull
02-28-2005, 09:04 AM
Richard, where in N.C. do you own property? You will love this place as you probably already know.

AdamCByrd
02-28-2005, 10:41 AM
Here in Louisiana stuff is very cheap. It doesn't cost a whole lot to have a half-way decent house and a couple of 5 year old cars in good shape. You may have a nice house and have a trailer park for a next door neighbor, but that's the way it is in a lot of souther states -- nice houses right next to trailers. Anyway, when I read a lot of your equipment listings, I notice a lot of you are driving brand new 3/4 ton diesel 4x4s that you don't need. I guess some people are willing to work extra hard just to be able to drive that nice pickup. When I wonder if LCOs are making money, sometimes I don't listen to how much they whine and moan...I just look at what they drive and where they live.

bobbygedd
02-28-2005, 10:50 AM
Here in Louisiana stuff is very cheap. It doesn't cost a whole lot to have a half-way decent house and a couple of 5 year old cars in good shape. You may have a nice house and have a trailer park for a next door neighbor, but that's the way it is in a lot of souther states -- nice houses right next to trailers. Anyway, when I read a lot of your equipment listings, I notice a lot of you are driving brand new 3/4 ton diesel 4x4s that you don't need. I guess some people are willing to work extra hard just to be able to drive that nice pickup. When I wonder if LCOs are making money, sometimes I don't listen to how much they whine and moan...I just look at what they drive and where they live.
what they drive and where they live? interesting....there are people who drive brand new cars, and live in brand new homes (5-600,000) and ARE DIRT POOR! can't go anywhere, can't do anything, working dawn till dusk to make thier payments. you CAN NOT judge a book by its cover. i know rich people who live in shacks, and i know poor people who live in mansions

scuba875
02-28-2005, 06:46 PM
I don't know about NJ but here in Northern Illinois we have the same problem. You can't touch a house where I live for under 350,00 and thats a 1000 sq ft with a one car garage and is a 50 + year old fixer upper. Most of these homes get purchased knocked down and a million dollar home put in its place. A new condo starts at 500k and a new town home starts at 750k. Not much new home construction here unless you buy an old home and knock it down.

I understand the frustration that Bobby expresses. It is very hard for a blue collar worker to make it anymore in this area and I assume it is the same where he lives. All the expenses he listed are very close for this area as well and he didn't even mention property taxes which for the north shore start at 5k a year on a 1000 sq ft house. You really need to make take home 100k a year to live comfortably in this area. By that I mean pay your bills, take the family on vacation and put a little money away.

tobias
03-10-2005, 12:32 PM
Solo average running 12 - 25 accounts
with low end equipment and no over-head. average $700.00 week (some weeks 200.000 to nothing = rain etc. some $900.00 due to bigger misc. jobs.) I do professional work, have a good repooire with my customers and love every minute of it.

Dogbonz
05-12-2005, 08:34 PM
Wow 500K for a new home :dizzy: ,,,sounds to me like a move is in order!,,,this thread seems to have brought alot of hostility :angry: and discust of high prices where some of you live,,,to bad there isn't anymore america that you could move to huh? :mad: Maybe instead of Bichen :cry: so much you could just count your blessings :angel: and be happy your healthy and alive!

ElephantNest
05-12-2005, 10:33 PM
Hmm, I live in Louisiana, house is paid for, don't live next to a trailer, and drive a 3/4 ton pick up, and a silverado 1500, and a brand new motorcycle, and a new camper, and a few other toys. And I'm solo. I'm not dirt poor, I'm not filthy rich, but I live my life the way I want, and answer to me. Ok, I answer to Lori mostly, but...you get the picture.

mkirby
05-13-2005, 03:09 AM
my wife doesn't get bennies, she's a real estate agent, works on commission. the average house here is like 400k. and south plainfield is a slum
if average is close to half a million you should be able to net more then 15$ a cut don't you think? LOL