PDA

View Full Version : Fertilizer / Lime harmful to dogs/cats?

alpine692003
02-21-2005, 11:32 PM
I just recently put a newsletter service guide saying, I'll be putting down fertilizer and lime in the upcoming week.. Several people have emailed the strata council and are freaking out, cause I said keep your dogs/cats inside for a few days while we fertilize/lime.

Do you guys think fertilizer/lime will be harmful to dogs/cats, I would imagine so right? I told them its not a pesticide and not worry but, just keep your pets inside for about 2-3 days as the rain washes it into the lawns.

:help: What you guys think?

JKOOPERS
02-21-2005, 11:39 PM
how do you know it needs lime? did you get a soil test?? :dizzy:

65hoss
02-21-2005, 11:40 PM
I think you just caused yourself a lot of un-needed problems. No, they will not harm animals. You just gave the liberal canadians something to fight you over.

alpine692003
02-21-2005, 11:44 PM
I didnt think so, but I just put a newsletter out saying I will be fertilizing and liming for the townhouse complex.

Whats the big deal with that?

65hoss
02-21-2005, 11:51 PM
I didnt think so, but I just put a newsletter out saying I will be fertilizing and liming for the townhouse complex.

Whats the big deal with that?

Nothing wrong, you just opened up a can of worms with the tree huggers.

alpine692003
02-21-2005, 11:55 PM
LOL .. :realmad:

I always tell the commercial sites ahead of time, what I will be doing and what I'm putting down so they dont get any surprises, ya know what I mean?

Do you guys put down pre emergents in the flowerbeds without telling your clients that you are going to be putting it down? would you spray lawn weeds with roundup without telling them you are spraying roundup? I wouldn't think so, I think you guys would tell them we are going to be putting down roundup/pre-em on this day, certain specifications.. I thought this was the correct way? :(

Next time I'll just put down fertilizer/lime/pre emergents and not say anything..

;)

Shadetree Ltd
02-22-2005, 12:00 AM
Fertilizer and lime are not anything like pre-em. Pre emergents are herbicides requiring posting and notice. Fert and lime are ok without posting. They aren't harmful to pets in this capacity. You want at least two weeks and some rain after lime before you fertilize. While soil tests are ideal, our extremely wet climate dictates that we could lime twice a year heavily and still not get the correct ph.

Scott

alpine692003
02-22-2005, 12:07 AM
Thanks Scott,

I just wanted to post to the strata that I will be fertilizing and liming, I guess I wont be putting a newsletter next time saying I will be fert/liming.

lawnguyland
02-22-2005, 08:18 AM
how do you know it needs lime? did you get a soil test?? :dizzy:
It's crap like this that is annoying about this site sometimes. That was not the question. The ? was about fert/lime and dogs/cats.
Does every ? have to be answered with "are you licensed, insured, do a search" Answer the actual ? or chat up ah.

So, to answer the actual ?, lime and fert won't hurt dogs and cats. Don't feed it to them and they'll be fine. Lime is crushed rock.

alpine692003
02-22-2005, 11:13 AM
No kidding, I'm use to this kinda bs from lawnsite.com anyways, I only expected a few answers from certain people..

It's crap like this that is annoying about this site sometimes. That was not the question. The ? was about fert/lime and dogs/cats.
Does every ? have to be answered with "are you licensed, insured, do a search" Answer the actual ? or chat up ah.

So, to answer the actual ?, lime and fert won't hurt dogs and cats. Don't feed it to them and they'll be fine. Lime is crushed rock.

PTP
02-22-2005, 12:12 PM
Last year, I put down some granular stuff in my own yard. I don't remember exactly what time of year this happened so I can't tell you exactly what it was. Anyway, I had a puppy who I think sniffed up one of the pellets or something into his nose. The poor guy must have sneezed at least 100 times with the kind of sneezed that would give you a headache.

I don't think that technically the stuff I used was bad for the dog but it wasn't meant to be sniffed. Just one more thing to consider.

HayBay
02-22-2005, 03:48 PM
That sucks Alpine, Its best to stick with local regulations when it comes to stuff like this, if they require no posting or notice then dont mention it. Doing the community a favor doesn't seem worth it anymore.

430 boy
02-22-2005, 04:00 PM
i ve not have a problem with us dog. he sometime tail 100 or so feet behind me when i am fretilizing or limeing the yard. now spray is other story the mutt won't out of garden till grass or tree are dry. the only problem you might run into is if your fertilizer/ lime has chemical in it then will a problem. :cool2: :D

procut
02-22-2005, 04:05 PM

You make a good point.

lawnguyland
02-22-2005, 04:33 PM
You make a good point.
Thanks, and by no means is it a rip on anyone in particular, I may have even done it myself at some point (I hope not though!). Oh yeah and most ferts should be safe for pets as far as I know, but always check the label. If there is anything to remember it's read the label!