PDA

View Full Version : TALK ABOUT LOWBALLING, CHECK THIS OUT

bobbygedd
02-03-2001, 03:10 PM
LISTEN TO THIS: i have a regular customer that i quoted a price for, a 6 step program, plus lime. she has a weed problem, so we r doing extra weed control, shell get 5 fert apps, a preemergent, two weed controls, grub and lime, over 4500sq.feet, for $235. she just called me on the phone and said she showed the contract to her daughters lawn guy(some guy and his son, that r in it part time)and he said he would do the same program for, get this, $120. is this possible? i am so ticked right now, if he is doing this for this price, i know hes not licensed and does not pay taxes. ill rat him out so fast. is it possible to charge this price, and still have yur bisiness exsist? tell me if im wrong. BOB

MLI
02-03-2001, 05:42 PM
your not wrong.....second of all, if she goes for low bidder, you dont want that type of customer. Never drop your prices to chase lowballers, and in the end people that except lowball bids will get low quality.

bob
02-03-2001, 05:43 PM
Let the other guy do it. $120 divided by 6 steps = $20 per visit. Chances are, she'll call you half way through the season when the scrub doesn't show up, or she realizes that he's doing a half-ass job.

Ocutter
02-03-2001, 06:52 PM
Sounds like the only profit this guy will make will be enough for beer money for the weekends. If she wants quality she'll call back.

John DiMartino
02-03-2001, 07:10 PM
No way he's got an applicators license,or insurance-not at those prices,they are taking a big chance,and the risks are high for them.I wouldnt take that account back midseason for nothing-say he applys hebicide right beore a rain-it runs off-they try to blame you 3 months later-Its not worth it to me.

Garry
02-03-2001, 07:30 PM
When you live by the dollar, you die by the dollar. Just the fact he quoted such a ridiculously low price, shows he doesn't have a firm grasp of the lawn care business. One can only imagine his views on the science of this business.

G. William Lamar

Rodney Anderson
02-03-2001, 07:31 PM
my price is within 5 buckss, stress to the home owner of insurance and the proper license, for what this guy is going to offer is he going to guarantee his work. Being part time how long is it going to show up to take care of a potential problem, especially if is chinchbugs or grubs.
I know its tough but sell yourself and stress the benefits of your full time expertice. Cross your fingers that she'll give you the time of day. Have any local refereces?

BUSHMASTER
02-03-2001, 09:31 PM
not being mean here ,.... but if you think he is not ligit... get in contact with the exstenion office and let them check him out cause smoe states maybe a little differnt but all require state certifacation........

Garry
02-03-2001, 10:10 PM
Or simply tell them, you are a phone call away, when they finally get sick of looking at their lousy lawn.

G. William Lamar

bobbygedd
02-03-2001, 10:32 PM
folks, thanks for all of the support. i dont need references, ive been doing this lawn for 4 yrs. when i started there it was a disaster area, i thatched, seeded, and fertilized, and within 6 weeks the neighbors were coming out to compliment me on the way the lawn looks. think she got ticked cus i sent new contract, and get this, i raised the price, r u ready, one($1) dollar. everyone else was raised $2-$3. i think she thought she was getting smoked on the price of the fert. i explained it to her nicely that for $120 this guy is gonna do a bad job, and i explained about the licensing etc.see all the other years she paid per application, this year i gave her a flat rate for the whole program, i dont know what she was thinking. i do think she will see it my way, by the time our conversation was done, i think i had her convinced. u know, i was never concerned about "lowballers" or "scabs", but today it hit home. will i report him? maybe, sure, after every application is done! they do fine per app., right? ok folks, thanks for letting me vent. BOB

jrblawncare
02-04-2001, 05:16 AM
Bob,I would bet he is cutting that lawn for 10.00 too...I hear ya...feel free to vent.John

SodFather
04-13-2001, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by bobbygedd
they do fine per app., right?

Here in New York the dec fines you $5000.00 per accurance. If this guy is not licensed I would be on the phone right after he made his first application. This is why good chemicals get pulled off the market because of these un-licensed guys like him that use these chemicals and someone gets hurt.

greens1
04-13-2001, 12:19 AM
I'm with sodfather. There is nothing worse than some dumba-- out there with a sprayer full of Dursban and a pair of cutoffs. It gives legit applicators a bad name. Most people that I have met don't know someone even needs to be certified. To a reasonable extent we must police ourselves.
Good Luck,
Jim L

ant
04-13-2001, 09:37 PM
BOBBY hay i am from n.j. also. and it sounds like the job i bid on... JUST KIDEN...
you know,welcome to the real world.. it stinks to loose a job this way but you know what your cost are and you know deep down that you bid on it the way you should.just let it go .if he was up your but and stealing all your jobs ,it's one thing. just like bob from del. said she maybe not happy and may call you ... keep and eye on it as soon as you see it going down hill call her ask her if there is anything you can do...
good luck and turn your cheak it's hard but as a professional you have to do it.
anthony

David Gretzmier
04-13-2001, 11:23 PM
Bobby, @ .6cents per square ft around here, that is the going reate per app up to 10,000-11000 sq. ft, where it drops to .5 or .4. if it is 4500 sq. ft, there are BIG spray companies that will do that property for 27 bucks an app, and it'll look pretty good. I have a $35 minimum, and the lime would be based on how much the ph needs adjusting. on the fert and spray, around here, that guys close to my competition. Dave