PDA

View Full Version : no money?

Toy2
02-23-2005, 01:59 PM
Gave a guy a quote for some lawn enhancements:

94 feet of steel edging

24 bags of Red Mulch

Install weed block

Install a small stone border( his stones) wants them set in concrete.

Clear out the grass in the areas to be edged, weed block,and mulch these areas. Haul grass away.

I gave him a price of $ 523.00, calls me back and tells me to try and get it to $300.00??? Use cheaper mulch, or take out 24' of the edging???

Do you think I'm overcharging? I called some other LCO"s, and just the edging to install is $2.50 a foot??

Thanks for the help!

PROCUT1
02-23-2005, 05:01 PM
send me a full financial disclosure of your business...........your overhead.....maybe some profit and loss statements, balance sheets, and tax returns........then i may be able to help you out with what you need to charge....

excuse me while i cut and paste this response to 100 more threads

Coffeecraver
02-23-2005, 11:24 PM
send me a full financial disclosure of your business...........your overhead.....maybe some profit and loss statements, balance sheets, and tax returns........then i may be able to help you out with what you need to charge....

If you don't want to help people just go to a dead site like ********
No one needs your smart ass comments. :angry:

If you don't have anything constructive to say you should just stay out of it.
These people come here for help,they are a part of what makes this a good
website.

DGI
02-24-2005, 09:06 PM

This seems to be a popular answer around here, but the fact is, what the market will bear is not specific to your operating costs. There is a general margin and if you are below it, you're doing well, and if you're above it, you're eating it.

crawdad
02-24-2005, 09:28 PM

That was funny, the first time I read it. :waving:

Toy2
02-24-2005, 10:38 PM
I have learned to just ignore some posts, I think I want to hear that I'm not giving things away...mainly labor..

..besides the guy that wanted the price of $300.00 got it....his dad paid ed the difference this morning!!! So long story short I got my $$. :)

hosejockey2002
02-25-2005, 12:43 PM
..besides the guy that wanted the price of $300.00 got it....his dad paid ed the difference this morning!!! So long story short I got my $$.

Good deal. I think you were right on or even a little low with your estimate.

Lux Lawn
02-25-2005, 01:16 PM
..besides the guy that wanted the price of $300.00 got it....his dad paid ed the difference this morning!!! So long story short I got my $$. :)

Glad to see you got the full price for your job...

Toy2
02-25-2005, 08:08 PM
Job went well, got there at 8:30, kicked it into high gear, had the oldest help one last time, done by 12:30, spent the rest of the day washing the truck and putting tools back in order. :)

old dog
03-05-2005, 01:05 PM
Don't work any cheaper than you are willing to live.Forget all the "lowball" comments.
Remember if the truck or mower breaks down you need money for a backup,or rental,
to fix it or buy new! Any thing other than that and you are living hand to mouth.I have done both and I have learned my lessons,having been at it for 22 years!PROCUT1
may be more to the point than you like,but still right!

nobagger
03-05-2005, 01:48 PM
A. Martinez, like everyone is saying do the job or any job at a comfortable price. If you get a job and you think its too low then raise it a little to where your comfortable, and if its too high for the customer and you can't go any lower then turn it down. No one wants to work for free or even costing them money. I don' t understand PROCUT1's comments the "1" in PROCUT1 must be the number of responses he has to offer.

PROCUT1
03-05-2005, 02:31 PM
I just dont understand how anyone can compare pricing on a national message board.....

I used to be able to run a nice profitable business mowing $20 lawns by myself.......

Now it costs me more than $20 to mow a lawn.........

If EVERYONE ELSE is mowing for $20 and I mow for $20 also......it wont be long before im under water..........

The guys mowing at $20 may be making real good money for themselves....

Does that mean im overcharging?.......or are those guys lowballing????

Do all customers feel that they need to pay more money to support a large company with high overhead???????

If the " other guy wants to make a 15% profit........he can mow that lawn for $ 20.

If I want to make a 15% profit, I may have to charge $30.....

Is either business wrong?

Were making the same amount of money....................

Now why dosent the other guy charge $ 30 ?

Well......Why should my overhead determine what a lawn should be priced at for the other guy?

nobagger
03-05-2005, 02:47 PM
PROCUT1 you do make a good point! and thats better then the paste and cut response.

cgland
03-05-2005, 02:52 PM
I have to agree w/ PROCUT1! No one on this site can legitimately help another business with pricing with out knowing THEIR costs to run a business. What is good for me may not be good for them and likewise. Each LCO's market will also determine pricing. I know what my area will bear, I don't know what his will. Would it be fair if I gave my pricing to someone in a more rural area with less overhead and quote after quote he got laughed of the porch? I don't think so. To answer that ever increasing question of "What should I charge?" the askers need to be much more detailed in the setup of the question. What their overhead is, solo or multi crew, loans?, type of equipment, workers comp?.....etc. Give me all of that info and I will give you a price!

Chris

PROCUT1
03-05-2005, 03:33 PM
Heres another example........

I have one neighborhood that I maintain over 150 lawns.

75% of those lawns ( even different sized ones ) are $ 25.00

The day that we do that neighborhood is my most profitable day of the week......

Im constantly picking up new lawns there....and pissing off lco's.....

1. I AM lowballing.....SMART, CALCULATED LOWBALLING.....I do so many in that neighborhood that i can do the lawns cheaper than the guy that has 2 or 3..........

2. I AM PROBABLY making more than the other guys at my " Lowball rate"

3. I blanket the area with " mow for $ 25 " flyers...

Most of the houses are close in size
Saves on estimate time and money ( all transactions by phone)
Guys pull in the neighborhood and never load the equipment back up all day
No windshield time

Now we all talk about how we wont drop our gates for less than $xx.xx.

Outside of that neighborhood I cant even dream of cutting a lawn for $25

Im sure though......Many lcos that lose their lawns in that neighborhood to me are saying
" How the hell can he do that lawn for $25, It costs me more than that"

PROCUT1
03-05-2005, 03:36 PM
Now what if my competition came into that neighborhood and started mowing for $25 when it costs him $26 to mow a lawn.........

That wouldent be very smart..........Would it?

But hell $ 25 is the going rate there.........

PROCUT1
03-05-2005, 03:38 PM
Here a question::::::::::::;;

Hi guys....... Im mowing a half acre lawn on XXXX street......I charge $ 25......Do you think Im charging enough??????

NOW THAT YOU HAVE EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW..........TELL ME

old dog
03-05-2005, 11:07 PM
Procut1-how long have you been doing this?I have a similar situation where I started.
I can make out on $20 lawns because I know how to be quick and do quality work.
I also have "big stuff"-5 acre residential that boggle my mind when i send them a
monthly bill.I do not have contracts cause I don't need 'em.My longest job is 22 years
(people do die!)In some markets I probably could not make out.My accountant does
taxes for attorneys who net less than me .Bet I work harder than them too.
What business would you rather have $!,000,000 at 10% profit or
$300,000 at 35% profit?

YardPro
03-08-2005, 07:23 AM
i agree with procut and old dog.

your operating costs dictate your pricing. if the market will not bare your required rate, then either lower your operating costs, or find a new line of work.