PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have an AQUACIDE?

EverLasting
02-23-2005, 03:09 PM
Hi - I just purchased an AQUACIDE unit. Model 355. It's designed to eradicate weeds & vegetation (non-selective) using super heated water under low pressure. Just wondering if any of you have used this machine before, what you've heard and your thoughts.

Clayton

Gregs Lawncare
02-25-2005, 01:35 PM
It looks very interesting. Here in western Tennessee, most of the lawns are bermudagrass, which is dormant from November through March. As a result, the weeds really stand out during the winter months. The Aquicide machine looks like it would be great to control winter weeds as an organic approach. I'm curious as to what one costs and, also, if anyone else has used one.

kipcom
03-02-2005, 08:33 AM
Curious...does it kill the grass also ? or just the broadleafs ?

EverLasting
03-03-2005, 11:19 PM
You can get more info on the aquacide machine @ our website (www.DoveEverLastingLawnCare.com) or directly from the makers... www.eco-environmental.com.

The weed control system is non-selective - it kills everything in its path. There are several different attachments that we can use with our system. A spot attachment can be used to zero-in on a specific problem (like thistle). There is a wheel applicator to cover larger areas (1 foot and another for 3 foot). We have the smaller model of the aquacide (a 355). There is a larger model for large ditch applications, agriculture applications, etc. It kills all weeds & seeds & grasses, penetrates about 6 inches down into the soil and makes the ground sterile. The soil gains back life within hours and no chemical residue or drift ever occurs. We have some pix's on our website that show examples of what can be done with the system. Oh ya- the machine also works under water. The kill last for about 7 to 10 weeks from the testing that the Eco-Environmental company did (on their website.)

I've done a bit of websearching and have found two companies that use the Aquacide in their services. I also know that many school systems, healthcare systems, and cities/towns use this machine as part of the regular maintenance programs.

Any other q's, any one else use the system before?

PS - Suggested retail price was $14,500 Cdn plus attachments. One attachment was the de-calcification part (suggested retail: about $2,000 cdn.) Consolidated Turf in Winnipeg sells the machines (they have lots of info on them & were a great help - Andy Fog is the Turf Sales Manager for them - ph: (204) 632-7643 ext 204). If you call, be sure to say the Clayton from Yorkton, SK referred you.

Thanks for the replies.

Grandview
03-22-2005, 07:38 AM
I think the machine is a gimmic. How do you get super heated water with low pressure. Water starts to steam at 100 degrees C. To prevent it from steaming you have to increase the pressure. You probably can kill annuals with it but not perennials like thistles. You are not getting to the root system. If it sterilized the soil control would be longer than 7-10 weeks. Our governments constantly complain about not having enough money and then waste money on gimmics like this.

Gregs Lawncare
03-22-2005, 02:38 PM
It might be overpriced, though. Water at 100 degrees celcius does produce steam. However, it doesn't turn all the water to steam instantly. For curuiosity's sake I took a pot of boiling water and poured over some weeds
in my yard and the water zapped them. I did it about 5 weeks ago and they are still brown. So, I believe the concept works. I've been trying to come up with a less expensive way of getting the same results.

Greg

Grandview
03-22-2005, 06:29 PM
Yes scalding water will brown off plants, but it will not kill the root system. I have poured hot water on my lawn several times. The grass browns but comes back.

EverLasting
03-23-2005, 12:07 AM
Have you ever worked with a boiler system? In most cases a boiler system can produce super heated water with no steam. This is the same concept. You should go down to your local schools, any office building, or apartment building and check out their systems. You can get water to heat up to 300 deg. F in a close loop system. (no steam) You need to have the water temp. at or above 250 deg. F. Grass dyes at 250 deg. F. The heat of the water breaks down the cell structure of the plant causing the plant to starve. It kills six inches in the ground. Check out this web site WWW.eco-environmental.com. Click on the Aquacide link to learn more. The Eco-Environmental website has info on trials & testing that they did, plus specs on the machine, and pic's of the machine.

Click HERE... http://www.doveeverlastinglawncare.com/page7.html
This is our website page for AQUACIDE results. It has pix's of grass areas, thistle, and Nettle.

Anyhow - Of course I know this isn't a gimmick. Maybe a little high in pricing but when you look at what is available for this type of machine - it is by far the best price and by far the most reliable machine in its class.

Other owners that you may be interested in knowing about:
City of Winnepeg - just bought 12 machines for the upcoming season
City of Calgary, City of Waterloo, Toronto, Vancouver, City of Kitchener, City of Burlington, City of Missassagua, school district of Kelowna, Hindmarch Landscaping, Environmental Factor, and many more I'm sure.

Clayton.

lawnlubber
03-26-2005, 05:09 AM
What affect does it have on the crumb structure or tilth of the soil? Does it work equally well on sand, clay and loam? Does it kill fungi effectively (fairy circles). Will it damage sprinkler systems?

EverLasting
03-28-2005, 11:12 PM
The soil is not affected. You can reseed or sod right after. Works on all types of soil or ground. You can use it under water too. For fairy rings there are no chemicals out there that kill fairy rings. I have found a supplier that has an organic product that gets rid of fairy rings and fungus. The aquacide machine only penatrates 6 inches in the ground. Fairy rings can go down 4 to 8 feet.

OrganicBob
07-21-2005, 11:21 AM
I haven't been this excited about a product since I entered the business. I'm aware that thermal weed control techniques have been around for quite literally centuries, but a safe alternative to flaming and the use of gas burners is simply awesome. I am a big proponent of organic farming and lawn care techniques. As you probably already know, pesticide use has been outlawed in parts of Canada, and many restrictions are popping up all over the country in new legislation in an attempt to end or at least stifle the farm industry's and lawn care industry's long time love affair with pesticides/herbicides. I am very thankful that this product has become available, and I hope to see it as a widely accepted and used alternative to chemical applications. I hope that all of you share in my enthusiasm as we embark on a quest to rescue our industry from the grips of legislation and bad reputation. New innovations, whether from new concepts or old ones, excite me and show that we as an industry definately have what it takes to carry us into the future where things will hopefully be safer and greener!