PDA

View Full Version : Aerating/Dethatching

Viseras lawn service
02-23-2005, 07:45 PM
If you were to do one or the other in the spring, which would it be? i only want to buy one piece of equipment and am looking at the tow behind units....which would you do/ which is more important for the lawn? Aerating or Dethatching?

MImowerkid
02-23-2005, 08:59 PM
Aerating , first of all because I own a machine and 2nd I've never had a lawn that has 1/2 to 3/4 '' of thatch build up on it that would require dethatching .

Viseras lawn service
02-23-2005, 10:36 PM
they offer spike or core...which is more effective?

Any other opinions on dethatch V aerating?

Wells
02-23-2005, 11:09 PM
Both pieces of equipment have their own purpose and both are an important part of the lawns healthy growth.

I would do the aerating for the reason that you will sell alot more aerating jobs then you will sell de-thatching jobs.

Core Aerator is what you want to look at purchasing, something that will actually remove a plug not just push the soil around.

newbomb
02-23-2005, 11:39 PM
Both pieces of equipment have their own purpose and both are an important part of the lawns healthy growth.

I would do the aerating for the reason that you will sell alot more aerating jobs then you will sell de-thatching jobs.

Core Aerator is what you want to look at purchasing, something that will actually remove a plug not just push the soil around.

Wells, I do a lot of small properties where customers don't want the plugs laying around. What's the answer? Also what about buried cable tv and phone lines? I am going to be expanding services this year and would like to hear your thoughts. Maybe I can learn something.

-Paul

KCLandscape
02-23-2005, 11:42 PM
Core, all the spike does is compact.

tiedeman
02-23-2005, 11:45 PM
if I was going to do it I would go dethatching in the spring followed by a crabgrass prevention application, and then aeration early fall.

Wells
02-24-2005, 12:22 AM
Wells, I do a lot of small properties where customers don't want the plugs laying around. What's the answer? Also what about buried <a style='text-decoration: none; border-bottom: 3px double;' href="http://www.serverlogic3.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=23&k=cable%20tv" onmouseover="window.status='<a style='text-decoration: none; border-bottom: 3px double;' href="http://www.serverlogic3.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=23&k=cable%20tv" onmouseover="window.status='cable tv'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">cable tv</a>'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">cable tv</a> and phone lines? I am going to be expanding services this year and would like to hear your thoughts. Maybe I can learn something.

-Paul

Paul,
Try and explain to the customer that the plugs are actually good for their lawn and they will break down quickly. If they still don't want the cores left on the lawn I would add the cleanup of the cores to the aerating bid.

Phone lines, Cable TV and other utilities are generally required to be buried at least 12" or more in depth. If you were to hit one between 3" and 6" in the ground you should be able to get out of paying for it due to insuficient depth of their line.

Northwest
02-24-2005, 12:31 AM
Buy the aerator, MImowerkid is right not that many lawns need to be thatched (only if there is more than a quarter inch of thatch, a quarter inch or less is beneficial) all lawns benefit from aeration. When you run into lawns that need to be thatched your can run them over with the aerator 4-6 passes instead of the usual 2 and this will break the thatch layer up.

Viseras lawn service
02-24-2005, 10:44 PM
Alright i guess ill have to buy the tow behind core aerator...maybe it can make me a few extra bucks.

Mo Green
02-24-2005, 10:49 PM
I thought aerating was normally done in the fall. So, I guess twice a year is a good thing?

The LawnSmith
02-24-2005, 10:55 PM
I agree with most of the folks here, a core aerator is the way to go, but here in GA/AL there are a lot of dethatching jobs for new customers with zoysia/burmuda that have let their grass grow too high and have never bagged, and have heavy thatch. The last two spring seasons I have done very well with a tow behind dethatcher.

kingz
02-25-2005, 05:02 AM
Core, all the spike does is compact.
Can a spike areator be trnsformed into a core areator?

MOW ED
02-25-2005, 08:29 AM
Can a spike areator be transformed into a core areator?

For the amount of messin around with cutting and welding, I would just transform a couple handfuls of Washingtons into a core aerator.

I am quite sure that there has been volumes written on these topics because I myself have written some of the volumes.
True dethatching is a destructive process. Flail blades on vertical mowers rip thatch from the base. A lawn with a thatch problem has a major problem. Spring Tine or JRCO type machines are not dethatchers but they have a place in some areas for lawn care. It is basically a motorized rake. It does nothing for true thatch. It is a cosmetic process for a lawn but then again we are in business to make things look good also aren't we. I personally have great success with this type of raking in my area.
Core aeration in itself is also a slightly destructive process. The benefit is that the lawn is allowed to breathe and expand its root system in the top 3 inches. The cores break down on the surface and increase microbial activity and basically eat thatch in the process. It may not look the best but it is very beneficial. Soil type and compaction will dictate number of aerations per year but it is never done in the hot summer months for a few reasons.

So what to buy, both.
Learn the differences and sell your customers on both services. Some people will understand the benefits of core aeration others will not. You are the professional who has to sell the customer on the service and know why you are doing it. These subjects are going to come up again and again and truthfully there is an archive full of info on aeration and dethatching. If you want to learn more you can search at your conveninence. Be more than an equipment operator, make money by selling your knowledge. Good Luck.

Viseras lawn service
04-04-2005, 09:10 PM
i got both, the tow dethatcher, and core aerator...

when should the lawn be dethatched, now? just as the grass is starting to green, mostly dormant? or wait untill its totally green?

Also....should i add weight to the tray on top of the dethatcher? it seems if i do, it pushes the spikes like 1'' into the soil....i cant see that as being a good thing.... no weight it just skims the top...i assume thats its job? no?

i was going to dethatch them and then treat with the crabgrass prevention programs.