PDA

View Full Version : 20 hp range mower engines

lawn and stump
05-16-2000, 11:10 AM
my 20 hp kohler command engines sometimes knock until the hyd lifters fill with oil<br>they are only 1 and 2 years old I was thinking about replacing them with the new <br>21 hp kawasaki engines if the kawas are any thing like there 12.5hp were I would do it in a heart beat any feed back on 21hp kawas?<p>----------<br>phil j<br>

Lazer
05-16-2000, 06:00 PM
I think the 19-23 Kaw are all about the same and they're bulletproof.

Eric ELM
05-16-2000, 11:17 PM
Phil, Are you using 10 W 30 in the Kohlers? You can't use straight 30W with hydraulic lifters or they will clatter. Another thing that will make them clatter is having just a little bit to much oil in them. It seems like the crank hits the oil when to full and makes the oil bubbly and then the lifters clatter. I've got both Kaw. and Kohler and I swear by the Kohlers. I've got one with 2752 hours on it and it still runs like new and doesn't need oil added between changes. If those engines were 25HP, I'd buy them from you. <p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://pages.prodigy.net/eric.erickson/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>

tom
05-17-2000, 12:14 AM
Lazer knows his stuff! Kaw. is the only way to go. I still have a John Deere Deluxe model gear driven walk behind(1st one I bought) It has a 14 hp kaw. with 2500 hours and the motor has never been touched past the spark plug. I have been in the Kaw. plant and I don't even like other motors.

lawrence stone
05-17-2000, 06:57 AM
Lawn & stump if you decide to replace those<br>engines I will buy both of them (if they<br>are vertical shaft).<p>To give you a good price I will have to hear<br>them run. So when or if you are ready to<br>replace the engines e-mail me at <br>larryflint@altavista.net<p>I don't live that far away so travel is not a problem.<p><br>