PDA

View Full Version : Dump Insert

Rotor-Man
02-24-2005, 09:17 AM
Anyone have a Dump-Pro insert on their pick-up, and if so can you tell me what you like or dislike about it and approx. cost.
Thanks

Todd's lawncare
02-26-2005, 02:31 AM
there aboput 2000 and there the best have one in a paving company truck and i like verything about them

Luvs2Play
02-27-2006, 09:51 PM
I bought a Dump-pro two years ago, mainly for dumping grass clippings and wood chips. The thing I like about it the most is that in 5 minutes I can have it out, and have the full pickup bed to use. I had a problem with it the first time I used it, called the company and had the new part the next day. Never had another problem. The whole thing weighs about 340 pounds, with a 3,000 pound capacity. More than I would load in a 3/4 ton pickup. I had it assembled with stainless steel hardware, lawn chemicals do not affect it at all. If I need to haul rock or concrete, we use a dumptruck. Our Dump-pro gets used 5 to 6 times a day. I think it was a good investment for a lawn service, it's not as expensive as the steel or aluminum ones either.

NEUSWEDE
02-27-2006, 10:10 PM
Whats the advantage? Using it in a 1/2 ton? For $2K I bought a steel dump insert that will hold 6K looks kinda flimsy and the winch seems weird, but I have never seen in person just saw the site.

Luvs2Play
02-27-2006, 10:30 PM
I thought the same thing at first. Are you putting 6,000 pounds in a 1/2 ton? You got a good price on a steel insert. The advantage of the winch is that if it fails, it only takes 15 minutes to change it and have it working again. It doesn't affect gas milage either. I don't have to worry about it rusting out. I guess I just like it, it's tougher than you would think it is.

NEUSWEDE
02-27-2006, 10:44 PM
Well I put mine in a 1ton and got the good price cuz I got it Factory direct (Downeaster)
I guess it is for light duty trucks? It seems like great for clippings and small loads. Sounds great for you application I would like to see one in person and test it out. I use mine as a spreader as well for sanding so mine is dual purpose.
good luck with it

I thought the same thing at first. Are you putting 6,000 pounds in a 1/2 ton? You got a good price on a steel insert. The advantage of the winch is that if it fails, it only takes 15 minutes to change it and have it working again. It doesn't affect gas milage either. I don't have to worry about it rusting out. I guess I just like it, it's tougher than you would think it is.

lwcmattlifter
02-27-2006, 10:47 PM
I briefly looked at Dump Pro but I decided it wasn't a good fit for us mainly because it doesn't look like it can take years of abuse like a steel, electric over hydraulic dump insert would.

Cons, dump pro

plastic bed
no stake pockets
no cab protector or tarp system
funky rear support that blocks the rear license plate,
clamps to the truck bed (not frame)
non functional tailgate, you can't do a controlled even spread of gravel without a tailgate that can be partially opened
electric winch
3,000 lbs max capacity

Pros, dump pro

light weight
less expensive
it looks like it can easily be removed

Pros, steel/aluminum dump insert

sturdy metal
stake pockets for leaf box
mounts to truck frame
tailgate even better, it's more functional than the stock tailgate
electric/hydraulic lift system
6,000-10,000 capacity
optional cab protectors and tarp kits
hydraulic pumps are much more reliable and stronger than an electric winch

Cons, steel/aluminum dump insert
price, most are 2,200 and up
heavy 600+ lbs
can't remove as easy as the dump pro, but you don't really need to remove it unless you are trying to haul a 5th wheel or gooseneck.

4x4Jim
02-27-2006, 10:59 PM
I've been thinking about getting an ez-dumper for my 350. I've used one on a friends truck, and like it a lot. It seems very reliable, and he has had no problems with it.

Luvs2Play
02-27-2006, 10:59 PM
We do haul horses too, makes it nice so that we can use the gooseneck in just a few minutes. It's not for everybody, it works good for us most of the time. We do have a 5 ton dump for the heavier stuff. We don't do snow, I can't rely on it to make a living, we only had two snows here this winter, neither one was more than 3 inches, so I don't salt either. Do move alot of manure, the poly is good for that, it doesn't stick. I have thought about a headache rack, that would take care of the cab. Around here about the best we can do on a steel insert is around $4300.

Eclipse
02-27-2006, 11:05 PM
$4300 for a steel insert :eek: I'm glad they are not so expensive around here. I recently priced one from every manufacturer that I could (Bagley, Little Tipster, EZ Dumper, Maxi-Dump, Forrest River, BriMar, Truck Craft) none of them were over $3000.

Luvs2Play
02-27-2006, 11:11 PM
The only thing here is Maxi-Dump. They want just under $1000 freight. For me, that's just a little much.

Shawns Lawns
02-28-2006, 04:52 PM
I was looking into the dump pro also but the closest dealer is about 3hrs away in New Hampshire. I would like to check them out before i buy. They seem like a good deal but its cheaper to buy from Northern tool than factory direct by about $500. I don't know what the dealer charges as i have not contacted him yet. I want something that i can take out if i want and is not bolted down to the bed or frame. ( i am not doing heavy dumping mostly grass) It says you can get them assembled or unassembled has anyone got one unassembled and put it together, if so how difficult was it?

lwcmattlifter
02-28-2006, 11:40 PM
Shawns Lawwns, I'm almost certain that Downeaster manufactures their products in Maine. They make a good dump insert.

Luvs2Play
03-01-2006, 08:48 AM
I was looking into the dump pro also but the closest dealer is about 3hrs away in New Hampshire. I would like to check them out before i buy. They seem like a good deal but its cheaper to buy from Northern tool than factory direct by about $500. I don't know what the dealer charges as i have not contacted him yet. I want something that i can take out if i want and is not bolted down to the bed or frame. ( i am not doing heavy dumping mostly grass) It says you can get them assembled or unassembled has anyone got one unassembled and put it together, if so how difficult was it?

SHC is running a special at the moment that includes factory-direct free shipping to the lower 48 (for non-dealer areas).
The dump body is NOT flimsy and won't rust. Check out the the FAQ section on Dump-Pro's site. Besides lots of questions answered about steel inserts vs Dump-Pro, it's got a picture of a rusted steel insert.
I also know that soon they are coming out with a stake body option kit.

In order to legally exceed Dump-Pro's dumping weight, you would need at least an F-350 or C-3500. What truck do you have?

..and yes, you can haul and dump rock in it.. up to 3000 lbs.
Contact the toll-free number. They'll fill you in.

Shawns Lawns
03-01-2006, 05:48 PM
Shawns Lawwns, I'm almost certain that Downeaster manufactures their products in Maine. They make a good dump insert.
Yes they are not to far and they do make a good insert my friend got one from them but they are heavy and not removable. :waving:

Shawns Lawns
03-01-2006, 05:51 PM
SHC is running a special at the moment that includes factory-direct free shipping to the lower 48 (for non-dealer areas).
The dump body is NOT flimsy and won't rust. Check out the the FAQ section on Dump-Pro's site. Besides lots of questions answered about steel inserts vs Dump-Pro, it's got a picture of a rusted steel insert.
I also know that soon they are coming out with a stake body option kit.

In order to legally exceed Dump-Pro's dumping weight, you would need at least an F-350 or C-3500. What truck do you have?

..and yes, you can haul and dump rock in it.. up to 3000 lbs.
Contact the toll-free number. They'll fill you in.

I checked out the site and liked it alot. I have a 3500 srw so i guess i could dump more. What did you pay for yours???:waving: Also is there anything about it that you don't like.

NEUSWEDE
03-01-2006, 06:19 PM
I checked out the site and liked it alot. I have a 3500 srw so i guess i could dump more. What did you pay for yours???:waving: Also is there anything about it that you don't like.

Shawn, go over to Topsham to Costal Metal Fab and get a Downeaster Dump Insert for $1995 out the door very simple install and will hold tons (3 to be exact) I put one in my F350 SRW perfect!

Luvs2Play
03-01-2006, 06:31 PM
I paid right at $2000. When I bought mine I had to pay freight (less than $400). I had all the bolts changed to stainless, had it assembled, and got the quick changeout with it. I don't know what it costs now. The only thing I can think of that I don't care for is that there is no gate on the back. For what we do with it, it works great for us.