PDA

View Full Version : What are the symptoms........

KenH
02-25-2005, 10:26 AM
of water in Diesel fuel. I am new to the diesel scene and have a 2003 (7000 miles) Mits. 640. Been running very sluggish latey, ie. press pedal and feels like truck is overloaded to twice its capacity, and stalls out every once in a while when realeasing pedal. I have a service appt next week, but was just wondering if I could get a heads up on what it could be.
Thanks

Mowman29
02-25-2005, 02:06 PM
you might want to post this question on Plow Site but I believe it is water in the fuel. not cheap. it could be a fuel pump also. or bad sending unit. my advice don't drive it get it to the shop ASAP. You might end up with no motor at all.

KenH
02-25-2005, 04:04 PM
Thanks. There is actually a water/fuel separator which I drained and reprimed, and also a light which is supposed to indicate water in the fuel which has not lit. So Im not sure what it is.....the appt is on Wednesday. I just have to make it about 35 minutes away......

jsr2741
02-25-2005, 04:17 PM
Try changing the fuel filter, if this fixes it you saved yourself some money. If not at least you've eliminated two possible causes.

pottstim
02-25-2005, 10:14 PM
Try changing the fuel filter, if this fixes it you saved yourself some money. If not at least you've eliminated two possible causes.

Yes, change your fuel filters often. We do it every oil change (6,000 miles) on our 2004 Isuzu NPR at work, and have had no problems in 16,000 miles. Like someone said above, keep an eye on your water seperator. On the Isuzu, the seperator is located behind the cab along the frame on the driver's side. I'm not sure about the Mitsu trucks though. Our truck has a float in the water seperator, and I've only had to purge it twice since we bought it in Dec 2003.At the time, it only had 3/4" of water in it. I try to buy fuel only at places where they sell a lot of diesel, so it doesn't have time to sit in those underground tanks and build up condensation. Best of luck in solving your problems.

KenH
02-26-2005, 08:06 AM
Thanks guys. Ill let you know what they find out on Wed...........

KenH
02-27-2005, 12:52 PM
Just an update....I changed out the fuel filter today, bled the system, and problem fixed.

Thanks for the help.

Im still taking it in though for the yearly preventative service.