PDA

View Full Version : Cummins Owners- Rate your satisfaction!

FrankenScagMachines
02-25-2005, 10:12 PM
Am MAYBE looking into getting a Cummins. I found a deal on one but it would mean selling both of my trucks to get it... ouch.

I haven't talked it over with the boss yet even. But, I drove it and fell in love with the Cummins. Please rate your satisfaction level.
Thanks

PS- it's in a '94 2500 so I guess thats a 12 valve.

Travis Followell
02-25-2005, 10:40 PM
Just curious, is it a 5 speed or an auto.? How many miles?

FrankenScagMachines
02-25-2005, 11:32 PM
auto. 180k miles. tranny rebuilt at 100k and again at 170k (recently)

grass_cuttin_fool
02-26-2005, 12:38 AM
Ok, I never owned one, Only thing I ever heard was the tranny wasnt as strong as the motor.That came from alot of people that owned them and I dont know how well they done maintenance on them (changing fluid).Most guys that have them say the engine is good for about 350k

Lawnworks
02-26-2005, 12:39 AM
I have alot of experience w/ Cummins motors. I have owned 5 Dodge/Cummins in the last 5 years, and there is not a better truck out there. I have one '94 dodge 3500 that is used everyday and has 276k on the clock. I also spent some time building a performance motor for my personal truck, and the bottom end of a cummins is incredible. The '94 motor may be sluggish stock, but a couple free tweaks will improve fuel mileage, towing ability, and acceleration. Also the www.turbodieselregister.com is a great site for diagnosing problems and is well worth the $35 membership fee. How much are you paying for the truck? If you want a well cared for truck the TDR is a great place to find one.

J.Gordon
02-26-2005, 08:41 AM
My dad has an old 91 Dodge with a 12-valve Cummins in it. He got about 25 Mpg in that old truck.
He told me if he had only known the Diesels was that powerful and got that kind of mileage he would have bought one years ago.
But because itís a diesel, that doesnít mean it will get great fuel economy. It needs to be geared right for what youíre going to be using it for.
My dads 3/4 ton 2-wd had a 355 ratio with a 5-speed; it had plenty of power for what he used it for.
Lawnworks is right about the diesel forums.
For what its worth, I love the old 12-valve Cummins!

jsr2741
02-26-2005, 05:50 PM
I bought a 95 and it is a great truck; probably have it for sale here in a few weeks though as we didn't get the snow I had hoped for. I'm a dieselhead and I did some modifications to the 95 to give it some more giiddyup.

If you buy the 94 truck the one thing you aboslutly have to do is get the KDP fixed or have it tabbed. I can not stress how important that is. Mine had a 134k on it when I bought it and I had the KDP fixed. Mechanic said it was about half way out and you do not want to experiance that thing coming out.

Altought I voted "not to change a thing." there are some issues with my '02 but it's nothing I can't change/fix.

Markf
02-26-2005, 06:48 PM
Franken,
I do not own a Cummins or a Dodge, therefore I will not speculate on the vehicle or the engine, despite what I have heard. However, you may benefit from the information over on http://www.plowsite.com. Especially if you plan on plowing with the truck. I believe that Sean Adams also owns that website.

Travis Followell
02-26-2005, 07:07 PM
I bought a 95 and it is a great truck; probably have it for sale here in a few weeks though as we didn't get the snow I had hoped for. I'm a dieselhead and I did some modifications to the 95 to give it some more giiddyup.

If you buy the 94 truck the one thing you aboslutly have to do is get the KDP fixed or have it tabbed. I can not stress how important that is. Mine had a 134k on it when I bought it and I had the KDP fixed. Mechanic said it was about half way out and you do not want to experiance that thing coming out.

Altought I voted "not to change a thing." there are some issues with my '02 but it's nothing I can't change/fix.
What is the KDP?

jsr2741
02-26-2005, 07:44 PM
What is the KDP?

Killer Dowel Pin. It is located inside the timming cover on 94-98 Cummins 12V. It's the pin that keeps the timming gear on the shaft. If it works out you're looking up to 3k in repairs, makes a big mess. There are 2 ways of fixing it, one is to jig it and the other is to tab it. If you go on TDR or Diesel Truck Resource and do a search on the "killer Dowel Pin," you'll see why it's the first thing you should do to the truck.

Metro Lawn
02-27-2005, 12:10 AM
We have a few of them and never had any problems. IMO they are the best thing going.

blafleur
02-27-2005, 10:20 AM
I have an 02 2500 5 speed, for what I do, I love it. Each generation of the dodge's have some type of problem they are known for, but so do the other companies. The second generation (pre 03 24 valve) trucks are known for lift pump problems and auto tranny problems. I dont know about the 1st generation (12 valve). As stated earlier, the diesel websites have more info than you can imagine. Another good cummins site that is free is www.dieseltruckresource.com

Shadetree Ltd
02-27-2005, 01:45 PM
FWIW,

After reading other posts about the shop and potential property, it does not matter how good the cummins is, unless it is a screaming deal. Owning your own property sooner will be WAY more staisfying and finiancilly rewarding. I personally think the cummins is the best diesel powerplant available in a pickup, but I don't think the truck built around them (tranny included) are as well built.

Scott

Lawnworks
02-27-2005, 01:58 PM
FWIW,

but I don't think the truck built around them (tranny included) are as well built.

Scott

I have to disagree w/ this statement. The '94-'05 dodges are built just as well as the Ford superduty's. All trucks have problems, and if it is diesel w/ an auto transmission it will more than likely have transmission trouble. They will need refeshing every 100k.

jsr2741
02-27-2005, 02:43 PM
I'm in agreement with lawnworks. Most guys I know who have had transmission problems be it ford, chevy or dodge, did so because they "enhanced" the performance of the engine. Especially with the Cummins if you don't do something to the transmission to compensate for the added torque, a stock transmission isn't going to last very long behind a bombed diesel, no matter what brand. However I do realize people have trouble with their transmissions even when the vehicle is stock. Case in point the new torqueflight.

Rumor is Dodge R&D is nearly ready to start in production a new transmission. I've heard of both a 5 and 6 speed auto.

Travis Followell
02-27-2005, 04:03 PM
The Dodge rep told me that the new generation Dodges (03 and newer) have a redesigned transmission that is a whole lot better than the old 47 re transmissions in the 02's and older. I'm thinking the new transmission is a 48 re but i'm not a 100% sure.

anteater6788
02-27-2005, 07:13 PM
We have two Cummin's engines but they are both 8.3L, one is a 24 valve in a tractor and the other is a 12v in a combine (this is the third combine in as many years) and they have all been great engines. The 3.9, 5.9 and 8.3L engines are not really Cummin's engines, they are CDC engines which was a joint venture between Case Corporation (the construction and farm equipment company) and Cummin's to build these three medium duty engines with the agreement that both companies can sell them under their name. The 5.9L is easily the best diesel engine offered in a light duty truck but it's also the only medium duty engine and the only I-6 in this market. The 5.9L and 8.3L engines are used in several brands of farm tractors right now and that's a tough application because they run at 100% load for hours on end in tough conditions. I'm a Ford guy and a big fan of International but my next truck will be a Dodge with a Cummin's.

Eclipse
02-27-2005, 07:38 PM
It's the best truck out there in my opinion. These engines, especially with the old trusty P7100 mechanical pump on the 12v engines, are pretty tough to beat.

jsr2741
02-27-2005, 10:41 PM
The Dodge rep told me that the new generation Dodges (03 and newer) have a redesigned transmission that is a whole lot better than the old 47 re transmissions in the 02's and older. I'm thinking the new transmission is a 48 re but i'm not a 100% sure.

Your service guy is correct. They replaced the 47re with the 48 re in 2003. The 48 is beefed up quite a bit from what the 47 is and Chrysler did test the allison for the 3rd gen. truck but it didn't hold up as well.

Still I'm a stick guy.

Lawnworks
02-28-2005, 12:17 AM
I heard that... all my trucks are manual trannies.