PDA

View Full Version : HELP!Cat 242ssl won't start

vntgrcr
02-26-2005, 11:38 AM
Hi Guys, not sure if I should be posting this somewhere else, but......I have a loaner Cat 242 until my 257 comes in. It was running like sh-- and I just replaced the fuel filter in preperation for Mon AM work. Now it barely runs and then dies. I prefilled the filter before putting it on, and can't find any primer bulbs/buttons. Right now I am alone and don't have a second set of hands to crank the motor while I bleed the injectors, if this is even necesarry. My Bobcat would start right up, hope I am making the right decision going with a Cat! Any help would be appreciated.
David

Travis Followell
02-26-2005, 12:19 PM
I don't know for sure but it may have an electric fuel pump on it. Open the bleed screw on the top of the filter and turn the key on and see if anything happens. If it works let the fuel flow out of the plug and then tighten it down and it should start.

AL Inc
02-26-2005, 12:31 PM
vntgrcr-I'm in my office right now looking at my 246 manual. There are two types of priming pumps on the Cat's. From the diagram, one is on the filter mounted against the left side of the engine compartment (Has primer bulb), the other is mounted to the left side of the engine itself( this has more of a lever type of mechanism to prime the pump). I wish I could describe it better, but I'm a lousy mechanic. I made the same mistake when I changed mine in the fall, it took me a little while to find the lever. Good luck

vntgrcr
02-26-2005, 01:55 PM
vntgrcr-I'm in my office right now looking at my 246 manual. There are two types of priming pumps on the Cat's. From the diagram, one is on the filter mounted against the left side of the engine compartment (Has primer bulb), the other is mounted to the left side of the engine itself( this has more of a lever type of mechanism to prime the pump). I wish I could describe it better, but I'm a lousy mechanic. I made the same mistake when I changed mine in the fall, it took me a little while to find the lever. Good luck

Thanks for the help guys, mine does not have the primer bulb so I must have the lever. Can you give me some"landmarks" of where it is located? I have been out there for 3 hours taking all kiinds of stuff apart doing diagnostic tests. There is a mechanical fuel pump above the filter that pumps into the filter itself. Now I don't even have fuel coming out of that. This is a 2002 model if that helps us with info. Very frustrating!!!
David

AL Inc
02-26-2005, 02:15 PM
OK, PM me your email and I will scan you a picture/directions

vntgrcr
02-26-2005, 03:52 PM
Al Inc, thanks for your help. After your post, I figured I had to be missing something and went back out and in 2 min. found the prime lever, primed it and it is running great. Thanks for your help, another great use of the internet!
David

AL Inc
02-26-2005, 03:58 PM
Good deal, glad I could help. Congrats on the new Cat, you won't be disappointed :cool2:

vntgrcr
02-27-2005, 04:22 AM
So far I love the Cat, now I need to untrain my brain from operating Bobcat controls for years. Hopefully I won't hit anything or maim anyone! It looks like a happy future.
David