PDA

View Full Version : Delivering Fliers Is A PIA

DBM
02-26-2005, 03:32 PM
Just got back after a few hours of delivering fliers. Weather is beautiful for a walk but so far it's a pain.

Crappy competitor (caught them dumping their grass at the end of my street last year in a wooded lot) had laid their fliers a day earlier, feet are sore, and only managed to get out about 50 fliers an hour (lots of lawns I don't want to be associated with and wide, shallow lots).

I've had about a 3% success rate with hand delivered fliers and about 1/2% if they're delivered as a newspaper insert so I find it's a necessary evil.
Called it quits after a morning of doing this, off to enjoy some time with my family.

Anyone got some recommendations as to a better way of doing this? At this rate I'll have them all delivered by the end of summer. :rolleyes:
I thought of using a bike but I don't know how competitors would view this.

Lux Lawn
02-26-2005, 03:36 PM
Nobody ever said passing out fliers was easy thats for sure...Do you have anybody to help you pass them out?

DBM
02-26-2005, 03:45 PM
I'm a solo, wife's looking after my two young kids. I want to lay down 10 000 over the next month, covering the same houses twice - two weeks apart. I think I'm going to say screw it and hop on the bike, after all it's a numbers game.

At this rate it'll take me 200 hours! :rolleyes:

Lux Lawn
02-26-2005, 03:51 PM
better get some neighborhood kids or family to help that a lot of fliers for 1 person to pass out by themself.

Mark McC
02-26-2005, 05:40 PM
Message penetration for flyers is simply out of this world, but they are a LOT of work to get out.

Might want to consider hitting each house with one flyer and one mailer. Best of both worlds. I was initially thinking about three mailers for each of 2,500 houses, but it's kinda expensive. I've decided on one flyer and one mailer to each of those 2,500. That I can do.

For what it's worth, I can't do much more than 50 to 60 flyers an hour in this area, either and it IS a pain in the foot. I love the impact of flyers: I hate doing them, though.

Carolina Cuts
02-26-2005, 06:22 PM
ya gotta find the developments with the mailboxes/newpaper boxes right at the curb line.... I've been gettin' lucky... driving mailbox to mailbox with my father hangin' out the passenger window dropping flyers/cards inside the newspaper boxes.... EVERY house has one right at the curb. Was able to distribute close to 500 today in 3 hours or so... probably get ONE call. :sleeping:

not to mention, I almost ripped my fathers arm off a few times by driving away too fast...... ;)

Mark McC
02-26-2005, 06:31 PM
ya gotta find the developments with the mailboxes/newpaper boxes right at the curb line.... I've been gettin' lucky... driving mailbox to mailbox with my father hangin' out the passenger window dropping flyers/cards inside the newspaper boxes.... EVERY house has one right at the curb. Was able to distribute close to 500 today in 3 hours or so... probably get ONE call. :sleeping:

not to mention, I almost ripped my fathers arm off a few times by driving away too fast...... ;)

That's great except there are no developments around here where the mailboxes are mostly on the curb.

Woody82986
02-26-2005, 06:43 PM
That would be great if it wasn't against the law as well.

promower
02-26-2005, 07:20 PM
If they I dont have a newspaper box I dont deliver. Most people around here have them, I couldnt imagine walking door to door.

Mark McC
02-26-2005, 07:52 PM
If they I dont have a newspaper box I dont deliver. Most people around here have them, I couldnt imagine walking door to door.

Well, that's why it's a pain in the arse to do flyers. Still, they're incredibly effective, and when you're trying to build up a new business, you're not always in a position to be picky about how you do it.

gogetter
02-26-2005, 09:54 PM

Re-read his post, he said newspaper box.

Lux Lawn
02-26-2005, 09:58 PM
Re-read his post, he said newspaper box.

You beat me to it...The paper box's by the road are great for that reason but everybody puts there fliers in them.I believe the best results are going to be walking door to door because most guys don't want to.I know I don't want to either.

Husky03
02-26-2005, 11:11 PM
Is it 100% leagl to deliver in the newspaper boxes? Who can I call in Indiana to find out?

Thanks...

HOOLIE
02-27-2005, 12:18 AM
I've never heard of a newspaper delivery guy complaining about flyers in the box. Think about it, it's 4am, its dark, he's still half asleep, he doesn't even notice what's in the box.

andersonmowing23
02-27-2005, 12:41 AM
Speaking of 4am, would it be a bad idea to pass out flyers then. Because by the time I get home at work by 4pm Its kinda to late to start. I was wondering if their was anything wrong going in the morning like that. Just putting them in the newspaper boxes. Whats everyones oppinion on this?

Maxwells
02-27-2005, 02:09 AM
I hand posted my flyers and now do them by push bike much much quicker - how will anyone know its you deliverying them and who cares what people think

Carolina Cuts
02-27-2005, 10:10 AM
right, there is nothing wrong w/ newspaper boxes... if there was, then Domino's, Papa' Johns... the Weed Man, the Pesticide Man AND myself are ALL gettin' fines. I came across one newspaper holder that was PACKED full of flyers... literally hangin' out.

I'm not even so sure if it's illegal to hang anything on the side of the mailbox. For nine years I delivered flyers... placing them in-between the red flag and the mailbox.. never had one call from the post office or a complaint from the homeowners. Newspaper boxes are definately easier and legal.

Mark McC
02-27-2005, 10:27 AM
I agree with the posts about newspaper boxes and putting flyers on the outsides of mailboxes, but here's the rub once again: most of the houses in my established routes do not have mailboxes by the road. Most are on the house. Most also do not have newspaper boxes. So it's on the door or not at all.

mommacutz
02-27-2005, 05:14 PM
We insert flyers into sandwich bags weighted down with a rock or sand and throw into driveways. This is our second year doing this and we get pretty good results(approx 2 per hundred). I drive and my husband throws them out of the window. We have had 1 complaint though the guy called and said "Don't throw anymore of your flyers in my yard" and then hung up. He never gave his address so I'm sure he has gotten another flyer. LOL! We are about to do our second campaign as soon as the weather lets up.

Grass Gator
02-27-2005, 09:28 PM

Newspaper boxes are not against the laws. You just can't touch the actual mailbox. Anything else surrounding that is ok...

vkurt711
02-28-2005, 01:46 AM
:blob3: :blob3: :blob3: :blob3:

vkurt711
02-28-2005, 01:49 AM
[QUOTE=DBM]I'm a solo, wife's looking after my two young kids.

My wife works while I watch our two young un's. :cool2: When the weather is decent, I take them with me in a double stroller at nap time. I get distribution, they get a nap. A little slower than it could be otherwise, but then, I have nothing but time.

Kurt

Husky03
02-28-2005, 09:14 PM
Just for the record I asked my mailman today about delivering flyers and he said that it was not a problem to put them in the prebuilt newspaper boxes, but they could not be touching the mailbox. He said that I may have problems with the local newspaper people if I put them in there boxes, but the prebuilt ones were fine. :)