PDA

View Full Version : Gutcheck Time

Bassman
05-12-2000, 10:18 PM
In a nutshell- Been through some great times and hard times. Not to bore any hard working posters of this board, but, I was a business owner for 17 years up until 1995. Was making $60 grand/year. Sold business for 250G. Made bad/wrong decisions with capital. That's life. Result- DIVORCE, foreclosure on home, start all over. -o- goose egg net worth. I am raising my son as a single parent. Have regrouped, climbed out of the abyss and 5 years later am debt free and ready to go into the lawn service business. Every day I have worked for someone else I have longed for the days I was a business owner and called my own shots. Please excuse the sappy prelogue to all this but I guess it's a form of healing or something to post this stuff for public commentary. I have heard all the negative comments about how difficult it is to make a living in this business. I have spent the last 6 months putting together a business plan. I have a catalogue of information regarding posts on this forum,( thank you Chuck for creating this website at no doubt great personal expense), regarding marketing, acquiring new customers, best equipment, etc. I am within 30 days of taking the plunge and starting my lawn service business. I'm so fed up working for the condescending jackass I do now I can't wait to have the opportunity to sink or swim in my own business again. Making about 23G/year now. Future not to bright at present job. Any comments from you guys about the moment you bit the bullit and said, &quot;I am going to do this&quot;. Cut your umbilical cord from a steady paycheck and jump in. Possibly against the advice of many people telling you that it would not work. Alternative-nothing ventured, nothing gained. Did you wonder if you could make a living or were you so focused you knew there was no way you would fail? Would you do it again, or stay in your previous job? Thanks. Bassman <p><br>&lt;font size=&quot;1&quot;&gt;Edited by: Bassman<p><br>&lt;font size=&quot;1&quot;&gt;Edited by: Bassman<br><p><font size="1">Edited by: Bassman

Eric ELM
05-12-2000, 10:59 PM
If I had it all to do over again, I would have done the same thing and started mowing 20 years sooner.<br><p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://pages.prodigy.net/eric.erickson/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>

geogunn
05-12-2000, 11:01 PM
bassman--in this business you'll always be someone's yard boy.<p>I learned to get over it &quot;AS I WAS ON MY WAY TO THE BANK CASHING THEIR CHECKS!!!!!!!!!<p>sounds like you've got what it takes to do the job. ask us any question you like, we'll help. good luck!<p>GEO

osc
05-12-2000, 11:50 PM
When I took the plunge I actually worried alot less than I do after tremendous growth. Sometimes I wish I could start over.

HOMER
05-13-2000, 08:36 AM
I left a comfy job making 35,000.00 a year. I was sick of begging for vacation days and time off, sick of all the silly ass people in the world that you had to convince to get to work, bonuses sank to nothing when Clinton got into office, weren't even worth trying to achieve the &quot;10%&quot; efficiency. I may not cut grass forever but it would take one fine job to get me under the rule of the clock again. If you did it once you can do it again!<p>Homer

Gus
05-13-2000, 09:02 AM
When I finally quit my job and went into lawn service full time I was scared to death. It didn`t take long for me to realize that being the boss is the way to go. Like was already mentioned I don`t have to beg a boss for time off or ask permission to go do something.<br>The independance is what I really like about this business and my only regret is that I didn`t jump in sooner. Good luck.

Bassman
05-14-2000, 10:38 PM
Thanks all for your repilies and words of encouragement. Life's too short to perpetually wish you had done something about your present situation if you're not happy instead of DOING something about it. The weeks turn into months and the months into years. Have a great week everybody. Bassman

yardsmith
05-16-2000, 01:04 AM
Went full time this yr. after 6 yrs. part time, & like Gus, scared to death. Lost more clients than I wanted to due to cut throats, & corporate BS.<br>I definitely do not miss having to cut my nights short so I can go home & get ready for work. If I want to eat lunch at 12,1,2,3,or 4,etc. I do! Enjoy the freedom, but still keep a sharp eye on cash flow. <br>The only thing I do miss is a weekly paycheck. BUT, I don't want to waste 40 hrs. out of my schedule to get it. I can match that with 1.5 to 2 days mowing! I wish I had started lawn care right after college, & before marriage; wouldn't have to ride the stormy waters with the rest of the family along. Could've paved the way by myself first, but God's timing is best. Good luck!<p>----------<br>Smitty ô¿ô<br>

AGG Lawn Maintenance
05-16-2000, 03:46 PM
Bass Man,<br>We have all been in the storm at one time or another. You should do well you have the know how already. Some guys get into this business with a dollar and a dream. They really don't have any skills at all. Knowing is more then half the battle. Good Luck and you have my vote!! :)<br>Travis<br>AG&G Lawn Maintenance

Bassman
05-16-2000, 11:41 PM
You guys that are making it in the lawn service biz may not know how much you help newbies like me that are just starting out. Taking the time to post info and encouragement to guys like me after a hard days work with all the problems you deal with every day is invaluable. I'm sure I will have many questions in the near future and also am confident that there will be lots of answers from you guys. Thanks to Eric ELM, geogunn, osc, HOMER, gus, yardsmith and AGG Lawn Maintenance for your replies. If'n I win lotto, I'll fly you down to Florida for some serious bass fishin on lake Okeechobee. Big time fun. <br>Bassman

HOMER
05-16-2000, 11:49 PM
Bassman, Just want to let yoy know one thing: I got into this thing thinking there was tons of money to be made, well I was partly right and partly wrong! The ol' sayin, &quot;It takes money to make money&quot; was never more true than when you get into this business. Its probably true with any thing you do but I paid out alot for a one man operation last year in mower payments and everything else. What you get to keep is the big thing, what you make don't mean squat. I wish I could do half the accounts I have and make the same money............when you get cranked up don't be el-cheapo, set your prices in line with everybody else and do better work tha everybody else.......the volume unfortunately is where the money is at, unless you go after 1 or 2 major accounts, but hey usually want to look at your track record an equipment list. Go for it and don't look back!<p>Homer

CA Enterprises
05-17-2000, 02:35 AM
Bassman, <p>I have great confidence in you. If you did it before you can do it again. Just be firm and run it your way not the customers way.<p>I wan to go to florida, too!!!!lol<p>Adam:)