PDA

View Full Version : Possible Tree Disease

The LawnSmith
02-28-2005, 08:19 PM
I have a question for the pros here. I have a client that has black spots on the leaves of his pear tree. Could it be a soil problem? I have a lawn care business and don't have the background for tree diseases. I told him I would research it and get back to him.

Thanks
:dizzy:

Garden Panzer
03-01-2005, 05:57 PM
chop it down and plant lawn.....

:rolleyes:

kickin sum grass
03-01-2005, 08:30 PM
It could be insects producing honeydew and then sooty mold growing around the food source. Check for signs of other insects.
It could be a disease causing your spots but you will need some pics posted for any good answers.

Neal Wolbert
03-02-2005, 12:05 AM
Pear scab may be the culprit depending on specie and spring weather (wet is worse). Have had occasion to be puzzled by spots on pear in the past. One time a pathologist id'd fire blight on spotted leaves but that was unusual. Treat to prevent scab 2 times, at green tip and during bloom with a good scab product like Banner or one of the new phosphite fungicides. Neal

The LawnSmith
03-02-2005, 06:34 PM
Thanks, I have heard of Fire Blight and did some online research, but the symptoms showed curled and black leaves. This tree has small black spots and no curling of the leaves. I'll look into Pear Scab and what the symptoms are. Again....Thanks :dizzy:

Neal Wolbert
03-02-2005, 11:28 PM
Fire Blight symptoms can be a bit different at times according to the Dr. So best not rule it out. Good hunting. Neal

AlpineNaturescapes
03-03-2005, 02:34 AM
I had a client last year with the same - it appeared in a matter of days. At first I too suspected fire blight, but it didn't develop the characteristic shepherd's crook. It got better after he sprayed it - so ruled out fire blight.

Decided it was probably pythium - try an antifungal labeled for pear. Gardens Alive has a product called soap shield - since they sell it, it must not break the organic criteria? Works well for me.