PDA

View Full Version : KY DOT regulations

big_country
03-01-2005, 05:30 PM
Could somebody please explain to me the regulations and what all I need. I am thinking about getting a 6 1/2' x 16' tandem axle trailer but I need to know if it is gonna be worth the hassle. Right now i just have a 10' single axle, can you inform me on what all I need to be legal. I sure don't want to run into all them high fines that the states looking for to get them out of the hole.

Thanks

JB1
03-01-2005, 05:36 PM
Your best bet is to just call the DOT.

big_country
03-08-2005, 03:54 PM
Weren't much help, i gathered anything over 10k combined rating you have to have DOT number, do you have to pay taxes on that? And hauling under 40% of the truck rating you don't need brakes. Anybody know anything else.

JB1
03-08-2005, 04:05 PM
Went through all that last spring. I went to the state police post to talk to the D O T guy, he said he really didn't know what I needed told me to call Indianapolis, couldn't tell me what I needed but he sure could write the tickets for what I didn't have.

big_country
03-10-2005, 12:27 AM
They couldn't even tell me what you have to have brakes on. Finally I got some information out of them, it was a complete joke. About 2 hours on the phone and 15 line transfers. Yea, when they pull you over they will tell you its 500 for this and another 1000 for this but they won't tell you if you call and try to do it right from the beginning.