PDA

View Full Version : Your Choice of Pickup

rookie03
03-02-2005, 10:53 AM
What's your pickup choice for lawn maintenance?

FrankenScagMachines
03-02-2005, 11:24 AM
3/4 ton pickup or 1 ton flatbed. Like both for different reasons. I am selling my F350 flatbed (which was great for work) and got a Dodge Ram 2500 3/4 ton pickup with a Cummins Turbo Diesel, because its much better on fuel and will be alot better for running errands, road trips and personal use. You can't beat a flatbed with sides for debris capacity though. I'm gonna miss that F350 for mulching and leaf cleanups.

Smalltimer1
03-02-2005, 12:35 PM
Regular Cab Longbed 3/4 ton or 1 ton for me. Single/Dual rear wheels doesn't matter to me. I am selling my '95 F-250 Super Cab to get a 2004 F-250 Regular Cab Power Stroke. I have no need for the extra seat and I will get twice the mileage with the PSD as I am now with the 460. The PSD also pulls more and has a higher payload than my current F-250.

procut
03-02-2005, 02:17 PM
A 3/4 or 1 ton is a good choice for a LCO, especially if you plow snow. Personally, I always buy regular cabs, because I think the look cooler than an extended cab. A regular cab short box looks so mcuh, shall I say more "tuff" than an exteneded cab long box.

Bigfoot
03-02-2005, 08:08 PM
A 3/4 or 1 ton truck is better choice for daily trailer pulling. I like a flat bed myself. Take a 1 ton truck with duals, put a steel flat bed on the back, and be sure to have a bow tie on the the front for one mean towing machine. :cool2:

Smalltimer1
03-02-2005, 08:37 PM
A 3/4 or 1 ton truck is better choice for daily trailer pulling. I like a flat bed myself. Take a 1 ton truck with duals, put a steel flat bed on the back, and be sure to have a bow tie on the the front for one mean towing machine. :cool2:

Your s/n is Bigfoot and you like bow ties???? That's not right....... :rolleyes:

The real towing machines have a big blue oval on the front.

procut
03-02-2005, 09:31 PM
Your s/n is Bigfoot and you like bow ties???? That's not right....... :rolleyes:

The real towing machines have a big blue oval on the front.
Thats awsome, good one smalltimer!!

GTLC
03-02-2005, 11:25 PM
3/4 ton Ford or Chevy Extended cab 4x4 shortbed v8 gasser.

Bigfoot
03-03-2005, 12:35 AM
I am Bigfoot and I drive bow ties. :cool:
I bought a new 04 HD-3500 4x6 with a Duramax, Allison & a flat bed.
I guess I just got a wild hair since I still have my Pappy's 1 ton flat bed that runs like a scalded dog.

By the way that truck is a 1972 Chevrolet C-30. :p

Smalltimer1
03-03-2005, 01:51 AM
I am Bigfoot and I drive bow ties. :cool:
I bought a new 04 HD-3500 4x6 with a Duramax, Allison & a flat bed.

Gee, I thought this (http://www.bigfoot4x4.com) was the real Bigfoot??

FrankenScagMachines
03-03-2005, 11:05 AM
Blue Oval trucks are good. I've had good success with them. If they are a gasser, watch out... they won't pass a gas station for all its worth.

I've had two Fords.

Now I'm a Dodge guy.. Cummins Turbo Diesel for me baby! woohoo!!! Better power and fuel mileage than a PowerStroke! Don't get me wrong I love Ford and Powerstrokes, but I can't bite the hand that feeds me (dad works for Cummins LOL). I love my Cummins anyway. Going to pick it up today woohoo!

Smalltimer1
03-03-2005, 01:22 PM
Blue Oval trucks are good. I've had good success with them. If they are a gasser, watch out... they won't pass a gas station for all its worth.

I've had two Fords.

Now I'm a Dodge guy.. Cummins Turbo Diesel for me baby! woohoo!!! Better power and fuel mileage than a PowerStroke! Don't get me wrong I love Ford and Powerstrokes, but I can't bite the hand that feeds me (dad works for Cummins LOL). I love my Cummins anyway. Going to pick it up today woohoo!

Watch the lift pump and transfer pump on it, they are prone to failure.

I'll be sure to wave when I pass you in the new Power Stroke @ 22mpg and 325 hp! :waving: (when I get it, got to sell my 460 first)

GTLC
03-03-2005, 04:49 PM
Power Stroke-made by International/Navistar

:cool2:

FrankenScagMachines
03-03-2005, 05:51 PM
Smalltimer- the lift pump wasn't until the next series of engines.. I don't think that applies to mine... Right away mine will get cranked to 290hp and 700 ft lb. torque with no money involved... this summer when I get more money i'm sure I will be adding toys! It will get more than your 325hp, and still get 22 mpg.... CYA DUDE!!! HAHA... :waving:

Smalltimer1
03-04-2005, 12:52 AM
Smalltimer- the lift pump wasn't until the next series of engines.. I don't think that applies to mine... Right away mine will get cranked to 290hp and 700 ft lb. torque with no money involved... this summer when I get more money i'm sure I will be adding toys! It will get more than your 325hp, and still get 22 mpg.... CYA DUDE!!! HAHA... :waving:

Sure, then I'll put a Banks 6 Gun in and then wave bye to ya again :waving: and get 25 mpg, and keep the transmission intact! :p

FrankenScagMachines
03-04-2005, 08:21 AM
hey hey who said anything about transmissions, thats a hit below the belt LOL.....

C'mon be nice man.. you are harsh with people on this Chevy/Dodge/Ford thing ya know... I really dont' care what anyone else drives but it seems to bother you a little too much (and i'm not talking about this instance between me and you, i'm talking about other times with other people). Seems like if they want to drive anything but a blue oval you hound them about it... lighten up, who cares what they drive it doesn't make any difference to you. I was once obsessed with Fords too then I realized there are better things in life than 7 miles per gallon regardless of what you're doing, which is what was happening in my F350 w/460.. good truck yes, never any problems with it, would I own one again, probably will. But right now it don't fit my needs too greatly.
No hard feelin's man.
Thanks,
Eric

Smalltimer1
03-04-2005, 12:49 PM
hey hey who said anything about transmissions, thats a hit below the belt LOL.....

C'mon be nice man.. you are harsh with people on this Chevy/Dodge/Ford thing ya know... I really dont' care what anyone else drives but it seems to bother you a little too much (and i'm not talking about this instance between me and you, i'm talking about other times with other people). Seems like if they want to drive anything but a blue oval you hound them about it... lighten up, who cares what they drive it doesn't make any difference to you. I was once obsessed with Fords too then I realized there are better things in life than 7 miles per gallon regardless of what you're doing, which is what was happening in my F350 w/460.. good truck yes, never any problems with it, would I own one again, probably will. But right now it don't fit my needs too greatly.
No hard feelin's man.
Thanks,
Eric

I like pretty much all Fords (except for the '61 F-100 unibody and the 61-74 Econolines), but for the other brands, I can't say I like their newer stuff. I like the old pre-94 Dodges and Pre-88 Chevys, those trucks just are well, more of a truck than their newer counterparts in my opinion. More metal and less electronics and plastic. Great 3 speed autos, the Ford C6, Dodge 727 Torqueflite, and the GM TH-400. However those trucks are getting harder and harder to come by so I stick with what I like for the newer stuff. In my quest for mileage and capacity and long distance drivablility, the 6-Liter PSD is what I have my eyes set on. They have great resale, a good transmission, and a very stout chassis, and will run in excess of 400,000 miles with basic preventive maintenance.

However, I'm looking at a 1963 F-600 for my heavy work now, so I won't have to worry about having a lack of payload. The one I'm looking at has a 292 Y-block V-8, 4 spd manual w/ 2spd. rear axle. It needs the bed replaced on it and some tuning and a paint job on the cab.

I don't jump on people for not driving a Ford, its when they make false assumptions and cite incorrect information on them and then cry about why something broke, and 90% of the time it is operator error or operator error in combination with improper Preventive Maintenance, that I provide correct information on. It's when they dispute my information that I have to provide deeper insight and put more research into a response, and therefore sometimes results in a heated debate. It's rather hard to resist a debate because I'm so used to it here in college. There are debates here daily over everything from pickup trucks to muscle cars to historical topics to political views.

By the way, I was just picking a little at you with the truck stuff, glad you got what you wanted, hope you enjoy it. One of my father's friends got a '96 Ram 350 Cummins 4x4 for something like $8000 and it had about 200,000 miles on it. The guy does tree work and the bed didn't fare that well with the brush constantly hitting it, so he put a Reading utility body on it. The truck looks 100% better now with the new utility body.

Smalltimer1
03-04-2005, 01:01 PM
The last thing I was going to say was that if you plan to do a lot of brush type work I'd suggest a utility body as well. Nothing wrong with the stock pickup box, just its not meant for day in and day out abuse from trees and brush. The utility body would be able to hold your small tools as well as be more than substantial enough to take a beating.

pottstim
03-04-2005, 04:56 PM

No hard feelin's man.

Thanks,
Eric

Amen, Eric. Very well said!

Tim :D