PDA

View Full Version : Dodge, lil red Express

Ol'time Lawncare
03-02-2005, 06:59 PM
Ive bin thinking about buying this truck off this guy down the street from me, it's a lil red express. 1/2 ton , 318 motor in it and runs good.i think i want to pull my trailor this year with it. anybody have one or knows anything about these old trucks??? thanks!

Smalltimer1
03-02-2005, 07:12 PM
It's a collector's truck, I would not use it for work. In my opinion the 70's and earlier Dodges are the only Dodge trucks worth owning. If it's in good shape it could be worth a lot of money down the line. It was one of the first "hot rod" trucks.

Ol'time Lawncare
03-02-2005, 08:16 PM
were is all those Dodge guys tonight??? :sleeping:

KERRTURF
03-03-2005, 07:53 AM
I can't tell you a whole lot about them, but when I was much younger my best friends dad had one and that truck was absolutely awsome! If I remember correctly, it was 1977. He bought a li'l red express for his wife, and he got the 4wd version called the Warlock. Both were red, and had black vinyl interior.
I would agree with the other guys, it would be a shame to buy this truck and turn it into a work vehicle. I can't imagine how I would feel shoveling topsoil out of the bed of that classic beast!

mmacsek
03-03-2005, 08:08 AM
I'm dating myself but I remember seeing them on the dealer lots. They had the exhaust go to a stacks behind the cab like 18 wheelers. I was a junior in high school when they were new. I wouldn't use it for work. Matt

nitrotim
03-03-2005, 08:59 AM
Jim. in addition to my pm to you last night, I also think they made a balck truck called the Midnight Express. That may not have had the stacks behind the cab. I will do some research on hemmings.com for you. Either way if you fix it up to work out of it would be a good conversation piece for you customers.

This will give you an idea of what they can be worth restored.

http://search-desc.ebay.com/dodge-lil-red-express_Passenger-Vehicles_W0QQcatrefZC12QQcoactionZcompareQQcoentrypageZsearchQQcopagenumZ1QQfromZR10QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1 1QQftrtZ1QQftrvZ1QQftsZ2QQsacatZ6001QQsatitleZdodgeQ20lilQ27Q20redQ20express

ProMo
03-03-2005, 09:13 AM

FrankenScagMachines
03-03-2005, 11:01 AM
If you buy it, keep it in a garage and only drive on nice days and NEVER use it for working! I would kill to have a Lil' Red Express... Yes there was a Midnight Express like it too, and the Warlock's, would love to have any of them. Right now I can only afford a '76 M880 Dodge (3/4 ton 4x4 military truck). Its cool enough for me LOL.... its my beater/plowtruck... I like it alot, but wouldn't want to work out of it everyday, and its rougher than any Lil Red Express should be.
Please please do not work that truck. It deserves much better.

The Dude
03-03-2005, 12:45 PM
I say use it, and here is why. First it will NEVER be worth any real money, maybe 7000 tops if it is in perfect condition. Second it will bring lots of attention to you and your crew with the way it looks. Third the 318 and 727 trans are good dependable parts and cheap to maintain. The cost of ownership if it is in good shape should be very little. I would have a fleet of them if i could find tham, or maybe make my own knock off if i could do it on the cheap and have it look good. It would definately help you stand out of the crowd of other LCO's.

Smalltimer1
03-03-2005, 01:19 PM
We had a '78 D-100 and a '75 D-100, the '78 had the 225 Slant 6 and the '75 had the 318. They were both pretty good trucks, but simply not heavy enough for the farm. Bought the '75 2 years ago for $800 and sold it shortly later for $1100. The '78 was in great shape, all original, the interior was near perfect. Granddaddy got it from a default on a loan, and then used it for a little while and then sold it because it was in the way in the shed where he keeps the hay bales.

Ol'time Lawncare
03-03-2005, 03:10 PM
Either way if you fix it up to work out of it would be a good conversation piece for you customers.

This will give you an idea of what they can be worth restored.

http://search-desc.ebay.com/dodge-lil-red-express_Passenger-Vehicles_W0QQcatrefZC12QQcoactionZcompareQQcoentrypageZsearchQQcopagenumZ1QQfromZR10QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1 1QQftrtZ1QQftrvZ1QQftsZ2QQsacatZ6001QQsatitleZdodgeQ20lilQ27Q20redQ20express
Thanks guys, nitro... thats what I'm thinkin. goes with my name,Ol' time!!!

txlawnking
03-03-2005, 05:01 PM
I can't believe any of ya'll don't know the real deal on the Dodge Li' red TRUCK as it is approprietly called...

Fer starters, the LRT was ONLY sold in 78'-79'.
It only came in RED.
IT ONLY came with a Special 360 engine.. It had an early 340 cam, windage tray and various and sundry other goodies in the engine. ( in 78' it ran real good, in 79' the engine was missing some of the goodies)..

It was really a performance and appearance package, whereas the Warlock was an appearance package..

I'm willing to bet that the truck you are refering to is a Warlock.
Either way, if it's clean, I'd use it, but if it truly were a Lil' red Truck, then it IS quite valuable nowadays with a clean, unrestored one worth easily more than 10 grand...

nitrotim
03-03-2005, 06:03 PM
I can't believe any of ya'll don't know the real deal on the Dodge Li' red TRUCK as it is approprietly called...

Fer starters, the LRT was ONLY sold in 78'-79'.
It only came in RED.
IT ONLY came with a Special 360 engine.. It had an early 340 cam, windage tray and various and sundry other goodies in the engine. ( in 78' it ran real good, in 79' the engine was missing some of the goodies)..

It was really a performance and appearance package, whereas the Warlock was an appearance package..

I'm willing to bet that the truck you are refering to is a Warlock.
Either way, if it's clean, I'd use it, but if it truly were a Lil' red Truck, then it IS quite valuable nowadays with a clean, unrestored one worth easily more than 10 grand...

I thought the lil'red truck came with the 360. Here is a warlock for sale on ebay with 4WD.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4531467518&category=39413&sspagename=WDVW

Ol'time Lawncare
03-10-2005, 01:10 PM
i bought the truck and after further inspection,It's not a little red express! it's eather a Midnight express or a warlock 2! the vin number on this truck is only 13 numbers, and i can't find any info on the old warlocks or midnight express. Even hemmings.com doesn't have any info. this truck is factory black with factory bucket seats, gold pinstrips on the inside, chrome stepsides on the bed, 6 foot wooden floor on the bed, the word CUSTOM is on the dash but not the fenders! any body else have any info please let me no, VIN number is: D13JE9S188674, thanks again

fga
03-10-2005, 01:36 PM
I say use it, and here is why. First it will NEVER be worth any real money, maybe 7000 tops if it is in perfect condition. Second it will bring lots of attention to you and your crew with the way it looks. Third the 318 and 727 trans are good dependable parts and cheap to maintain. The cost of ownership if it is in good shape should be very little. I would have a fleet of them if i could find tham, or maybe make my own knock off if i could do it on the cheap and have it look good. It would definately help you stand out of the crowd of other LCO's.
i was thinking of this a few years ago. not being able to afford a brand new truck... so i could maybe put alittle into an eye catching older truck. my=abe even change my logo saying like "old time effort for your lawn...". something like that. it would definitely stand out amongst alle the guys here. the olnl problemi would see is daily dependence on such an older ride. but the idea is excellent. a bunch of guys doing the same thing, most similar quality... need to stand out.

maybe use reel mowers :rolleyes: i wouldn't go that far. :D

The Dude
03-10-2005, 01:44 PM
i was thinking of this a few years ago. not being able to afford a brand new truck... so i could maybe put alittle into an eye catching older truck. my=abe even change my logo saying like "old time effort for your lawn...". something like that. it would definitely stand out amongst alle the guys here. the olnl problemi would see is daily dependence on such an older ride. but the idea is excellent. a bunch of guys doing the same thing, most similar quality... need to stand out.

maybe use reel mowers :rolleyes: i wouldn't go that far. :D

Thats why I have a 1979 ford :) The parts are cheap and fixing it is easy as pie. Let someone else deal with computers and sensors.

Ol'time Lawncare
03-10-2005, 02:21 PM
I'm using it for work! Cleaning It right up, new rims and tires,hoses,tune-up,flushing radiator and brakes, new battery,undercoating it,flashy new red paint with my business name on the doors and a new hitch, i will be posting pics soon , before and after! :cool:

The Dude
03-10-2005, 02:45 PM
Good for you!

nitrotim
03-10-2005, 05:45 PM
I'm using it for work! Cleaning It right up, new rims and tires,hoses,tune-up,flushing radiator and brakes, new battery,undercoating it,flashy new red paint with my business name on the doors and a new hitch, i will be posting pics soon , before and after! :cool:

Hey Jim good going I will be looking for your truck. I saw the picture you posted of your toyota and trailer. You were at the heritage near the overpass right?

Grassmechanic
03-11-2005, 07:43 AM
If you buy it, keep it in a garage and only drive on nice days and NEVER use it for working! I would kill to have a Lil' Red Express... Yes there was a Midnight Express like it too, and the Warlock's, would love to have any of them. Right now I can only afford a '76 M880 Dodge (3/4 ton 4x4 military truck). Its cool enough for me LOL.... its my beater/plowtruck... I like it alot, but wouldn't want to work out of it everyday, and its rougher than any Lil Red Express should be.
Please please do not work that truck. It deserves much better.
I used to plow snow those 880's all the time when I worked as a civilian in the Army. Those trucks were/are bullet proof!!! They were actually 1 and 1/4 ton suspension on them....heavyyyyy duty!

FrankenScagMachines
03-11-2005, 09:54 AM
Mike, yep I know :)
I knew about the suspension bein 1 1/4 ton, but if I say that most people don't understand and they think its a big dually or something... Since it is based on Dodge's 3/4 ton truck design I just call it a 3/4 ton so to avoid confusion. But yes it handled the plow and ballast weight just great, barely sagged if at all... Plow is an older Meyer 7.5' (round plow lights if that helps with age), E47 pump and I ran about 600 pounds of ballast or so in the bed. 400 of that was sand bags at the very back of the truck.
Thanks,
Eric

Ol'time Lawncare
03-11-2005, 02:10 PM
You were at the heritage near the overpass right?
YUP...that was me choking down one of those Italian shorty's for lunch.

Grassmechanic
03-12-2005, 12:09 PM
Mike, yep I know :)
I knew about the suspension bein 1 1/4 ton, but if I say that most people don't understand and they think its a big dually or something... Since it is based on Dodge's 3/4 ton truck design I just call it a 3/4 ton so to avoid confusion. But yes it handled the plow and ballast weight just great, barely sagged if at all... Plow is an older Meyer 7.5' (round plow lights if that helps with age), E47 pump and I ran about 600 pounds of ballast or so in the bed. 400 of that was sand bags at the very back of the truck.
Thanks,
Eric

Eric, you would not believe the amount of abuse we put those trucks through! They never broke down. I remember driving by the PDO (Property Disposal Office) and seeing 20 -30 880's lined up for auction every 3 months. They went for as low as $100. The highest around $1,000. I kick myself for not getting one or two at the time :cry:

FrankenScagMachines
03-14-2005, 11:24 AM
Mike, I don't know where they all went to... Around here, mid-late 70's Dodge trucks are pretty scarce. Maybe in other areas of the nation its different. I've never seen an M880 in person before except mine. Other PowerWagons are pretty rare here too. They are indeed tough trucks! Mine's had the 318 replaced with a 360 and it has the 4.10 gears. It has plenty of power! I would like to lift it and put 35's or maybe 38's on it this summer if I have time. Just a playtoy lol.