PDA

View Full Version : Is it illegal to put flyers on mailboxes?

CrewCut
02-05-2001, 03:27 PM
Has anybody ever got in trouble for putting flyers on people's mailboxes, I see pizza companies putting flyers on the mailboxes with rubberbands, is it legal?

bob
02-05-2001, 03:32 PM
Look here, http://www.lawnsite.com/search.php?query=flyers&forumchoice=1&booleanand=yes&searchin=subject&searchdate=-1&searchuser=&searchdateline=&exactname=yes&action=dosearch&getdaily=&pagenum=

Mscotrid
02-05-2001, 03:38 PM
It's only illegal if you get caught.....

Though you can pay companies and get your flyer in mailed coupon booklets or similar types of ads.

Good luck avoid the cuffs

kutnkru
02-05-2001, 03:41 PM
yes. It is.

http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?threadid=9756

Hope this helps.
Kris

Mowman
02-05-2001, 03:53 PM
Don't do it MAN!!!!!!!!! My wife carries the US MAIL and this is a BIG NO NO!!!!!! If the carrier gets your flier and turns it in to the Postmaster CHARGES will be FILED. I don't see anything wrong with it but it is a FEDERAL offense putting things IN or ON the mail box. I'm not sure why they have to be that way. Just the US GOVERNMENT I guess.
Try hanging them on the door knob or in the screen door. Or ring the bell and give it to them in person.
Good Luck,
Mowman

LoneStarLawn
02-05-2001, 05:24 PM
I think Kris meant No Crewcut. Since you asked if it was legal and it is not legal. Alot of people ask this question because they want to do it faster (to lazy to walk to the door) or they are afraid that someone will come out the door a bite'em. LOL

[Edited by LoneStarLawn on 02-05-2001 at 05:27 PM]

moonarrow
02-05-2001, 08:06 PM
Yes it is illegal I know from experience. Put fliers on mail boxes when I was in the plumbing business and just starting out. The next morning I awoke to someone knocking on the door it was the Postmaster and 2 policeman man was I sweating. Luckily for me the just gave me a warning (written) after explaining in detail the legalities and the penalties for such an offense.Don't take the chance it isn't worth it

cantoo
02-05-2001, 10:33 PM
moonarrow, yeah but did you get any business from the fliers you did set out?

LoneStarLawn
02-05-2001, 10:37 PM
Putting fliers on mailboxes does not get you more customers than putting the fliers on the doors...it is just lazy and against the law.

kutnkru
02-05-2001, 10:40 PM
lonestar's correct -ooops on typo

Yes it is ILLEGAL and you can be prosecuted for a felony if you do so.

Kris

gusbuster
02-05-2001, 10:48 PM
Why is it illegal to put anything in a mailbox? From what I was told, the mailbox is considered Federal property. The mailbox, whether it's in a house, in front of your house or a collection point is the sole property of the United States Postal Service.
John
Correct me if I'm wrong, but that is what I was told by family members who work for the post office.

KirbysLawn
02-06-2001, 01:27 AM
Correct John, you buy the mailbox and place it out front, it becomes Gov property.

davesgs75
02-06-2001, 07:56 AM
Guys I have a question on this. Is this a law that is different state to state or are you saying it is a federal law?
The reason I ask is I know companies here have been told they can hang stuff on the mail box but you cannot put anything inside the mail box.
Also for a short time i worked for an overnight express carrier, we were allowed to hang packages on mail boxes, it is called front dooring.

russman
02-06-2001, 08:32 AM
My first year I put fliers in mailboxes and had a mailman give me a call and informed me it was illeagal. Next year I started putting them in doors. I have also seen fliers that hook over a doorknob that will work just as good. I stopped putting out fliers because I really didn,t that many calls from them. I just use good service and word of mouth.

Strawbridge Lawn
02-06-2001, 09:26 AM
? Ok the actual mailbox is off limits, but what about other portions of the post? Some have many areas that would accomadate a flyer.. Just wondering

captdevo
02-06-2001, 09:34 AM
Years ago in Slidell, La. i got caught, I hired some local kids to got out to specific subdivisions to door hang, come to find out they rode on their bikes and stuck them in and out of the boxes, flags and posts, i had to pay postage on everyone. Ended up costing me about $300 back then. But i did get some jobs out of it, money well spent.

JimLewis
02-06-2001, 12:51 PM
Mailboxes are off limits, obviously. But newspaper boxes are not! Not that I recommend placing the flyer in the newsbox, but it is legal.

We don't place them there because they aren't as effective. Not everyone who has a newsbox in front of their house is actually a subscriber. And laying flyers anywhere but the front door just decreases their effectiveness.

VLM
02-06-2001, 01:25 PM
I've been called twice by the postman. The first time was my first year, and I didn't know any better. He told me it was illegal to put anything anywhere on the mailbox and that it is Federal property. The second time I was leaving invoices in little wood cubby below the box as directed by clients...busted again. I know better now. Also I think it's a waste of time anyway because you probably piss off more people by doing this and lose any potential customer you may have gotten. If the suits have to climb out of their car on the way to the garage to get your flier they are gonna be PISSED!

Lawnworks
02-06-2001, 04:13 PM
If you put it on the mailboxes instead of on doorknobs your efficiency is increased alot. Also, if you want to do it legal, put flyers in the local newspaper.

kutnkru
02-06-2001, 04:16 PM
We have two flyers that we insert into the flyers. I have heard this too is a no!no! but we have had great results from doing this as well.

Hope this helps.
Kris

ChrisYanik
02-06-2001, 04:24 PM
Inside the mail box is illegal

anywhere else outside the mailbox is perfectly legal

VLM
02-06-2001, 04:30 PM
Come on guys! Didn't you read any of the above comments? What use is this site if we don't listen to and learn from each others experiences? I guess some people just have to learn the hard way.

leeslawncare
02-06-2001, 05:26 PM
I was told by our postmaster that you COULD put them on the post but not on the box or in the box.got 1000 to put out next week .if the box doesn't have a hanger .What do some of you guys use to attach them?tape?thumb tacks?

moonarrow
02-06-2001, 07:10 PM
cantoo,
yes I did get several jobs, just glad they didnt fine me.

TLS
02-06-2001, 07:32 PM
I work at a Supermarket Part time and almost every weekend, I come out to my truck and there is a flyer on my windshield wiper. Yes, its annoying to get out and remove it, but at least as far as I know, its LEGAL. You may however be targeting a larger service area, or an apartment owner.

Word of mouth took over for me 10 years ago. No more advertising. The best ads are in VERY local papers. The business card section.

plymouthvaliant73
02-06-2001, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by dixie1
I work at a Supermarket Part time and almost every weekend, I come out to my truck and there is a flyer on my windshield wiper. Yes, its annoying to get out and remove it, but at least as far as I know, its LEGAL.

It may not be legal.

Most retailers prohibit solicitation on their property.

Therefore, putting flyers on vehicles is trespassing.

It rarely happens around here and never at the malls with a security force.

new-man
11-21-2003, 09:34 PM
it is legal to put them on mailboxes but not in them

FERT-TEK
11-21-2003, 10:03 PM
Just the opposite actually. I spoke to my postman about this last week. She said the inside of the mailbox is off limits along with the flag since both would interfere with them performing their duties. But the body of the mailbox and post is ok. I have been lucky because when I started my business I regularly put flyers between the flags and the body of the mailbox without getting in any trouble. Occasionally when the flag was broken I even put a couple half inside and half hanging out so it wouldn't blow away. Also received one phone call in the ten years from an angry resident. He called me and complained about my putting it on the outside of his mailbox. Naturally I appologized profusely and said I wouldn't do it again. No problems since.

olderthandirt
11-21-2003, 10:20 PM
Not any where on the box! but the post is fine, I use push pins on wood and tape or rubber bands on the metal ones.

GrassBustersLawn
11-22-2003, 05:17 PM
Can't put anything in the box that doesn't have a STAMP on it! :nono: They want their 37 CENTS!

The FINE is (are you sitting down?) $300 for EACH and EVERY VIOLATION. Put out 1000 fliers and put them in the box, it could be a $300,000 FINE! :dizzy:

Don't know how they'd collect such a big fine. Come and take your house away one night while you are sleeping? :sleeping:

Mike

olderthandirt
11-22-2003, 07:48 PM
How come when some sob smashes my box the post office does'nt come out and replace it, or the fbi investigate since it federal???? Just want there 37 cents and every holiday in the world off.

Mowing Mike
11-22-2003, 09:16 PM
A few years ago someone smashed several mailboxes and the FBI did investigate and caught the kids that done it.

I also have been told the the box is off limits but the post is fine to hang things from.

One of my customer had a flier hanging on the box when I got there to mow the yard I looked at it but did not remove it a short time latter the mailman came by. I ask him about it, he said he hates it when they do it because he has to take the first two he sees and count all the ones after that then he gets to fill out some additional paper work. He told me that there will be fines for the guy that done it. I'm glad I left it on the box:p .

Mike

mdvaden
11-23-2003, 02:14 AM
Chapter and verse?

I can't say its illegal or legal. But I know a few people that have been warned for tucking flyers INSIDE the mailbox, but never for the OUTSIDE.

So in the face of suggestions and opinions, I always say, where's the text of the law and code so we know the facts for a fact.

Anyone have a link for this.

LLMSERVICE
11-23-2003, 10:02 AM
I have used a distribution service for my direct mail campaigns. I can target right down to city blocks to the nearest 100 clients I want to hit. I focus where my best bets are, pay about 3 cents a copy to do so and I don't have to worry about mail box stuffing, getting chased by dogs, or spending my time doing something less productive than I need to.

Team Gopher
11-23-2003, 01:46 PM
Here is TITLE 39 (http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/39/index.html) - POSTAL SERVICE of the United States Code.