PDA

View Full Version : When do we start???

CelticGreens
03-04-2005, 04:37 PM
for all you guys out here in the northeast, im from Jersey and am full of snow. i'm getting antsy and want to get the flyers out soon. is it too early? when is a good time to get them out? obviously not when theres snow on the ground. i want to get my season in full gear for april 1st, but the way this weather is, it wont be til at least may. what are your guys' plans.????

nobagger
03-04-2005, 05:26 PM
CelticGreen, I to am in the east and covered with snow. This reply is ONLY MY OPINION, but last year we started advertising in March and didn't have much luck at all, and in the second week of April we had a big snow storm so that put a damper on things too. But in late April into May we were getting a lot of responses back so this year I am going to try (weather permitting) the first or second week of April. payup

Jason Rose
03-04-2005, 06:35 PM
Man I really feel for you guys with snow... I know it's still early in the season even for us too here in Kansas but it's almost 70 degrees today and beautiful. It has been warm since about monday this week and dosn't look like it's going to get cold again for a while. Iv'e been out cutting pampas and orn. grasses as well as mowing some lawns. Just about every LCO in town is out. I know the bottom is bound to drop out eventually... It's just too early to be this nice here... The only thing I'm not doing ye is putting pre-emergent down. I can wait a couple weeks still. It's sitting stacked in the garage and ready to go. Iv'e seen others getting it down but if it drops off and gets butt cold again it's a waste to have it activated so early... I only do a single app. of Baracade (stonewall) from lesco.

Good luck to all that have snow right now, this winter was long enough for me... Hope I didn't rub in our good weather too hard! I may be on here in 2 weeks crying about snow too... Damn Kansas weather.

FL&G
03-04-2005, 06:37 PM
Ive been running ads for about 3 weeks now and have only picked up 2 new customers. Im going to keep running a small ad just to keep my name out there. Hope it picks up soon!
I am going to start a land clearing job on Monday. Ive got to get out im going stir crazy!

gaulk
03-04-2005, 07:00 PM
start now, who ever needs service will call they know gust like us the grass will grow. if they are not sure they will hold on 2 your flyer's, also start 2 hand them out know while u have nothing going on. when it gets warm everyone gets going, u don't wont 2 be stuck handing flyer's out. :)

LB1234
03-04-2005, 08:04 PM
I wouldn't count on season not starting until May. The weather will start changing for our benefit within the next 3-4 weeks. Maybe not enough for weekly lawn maintenance but definitely for spring clean-ups and possibly some installs.

As far as when to send out your flyers...my OPINION would be to send them now. Then, in a few more weeks send them again...to the same customers.

I sent out ~850 flyers the week before President's Day weekend. As you know we've had 3-4 plowable storms since then...and their is still plenty of snow on the ground. Last week I received two phone calls from potential residential customers. Today I received a phone call from a potential commercial customer. I will be providing the three quotes next week. Assuming (I know you shouldn't assume) I land one of the three potential clients...we will, at a minimum, break even on the flyer advertisement. I plan on repeating the flyer mailings at the end of March...just in time for spring blooms...I hope...cross my fingers... :waving:

coonman
03-04-2005, 08:32 PM
Man I really feel for you guys with snow... I know it's still early in the season even for us too here in Kansas but it's almost 70 degrees today and beautiful. It has been warm since about monday this week and dosn't look like it's going to get cold again for a while. Iv'e been out cutting pampas and orn. grasses as well as mowing some lawns. Just about every LCO in town is out. I know the bottom is bound to drop out eventually... It's just too early to be this nice here... The only thing I'm not doing ye is putting pre-emergent down. I can wait a couple weeks still. It's sitting stacked in the garage and ready to go. Iv'e seen others getting it down but if it drops off and gets butt cold again it's a waste to have it activated so early... I only do a single app. of Baracade (stonewall) from lesco.

Good luck to all that have snow right now, this winter was long enough for me... Hope I didn't rub in our good weather too hard! I may be on here in 2 weeks crying about snow too... Damn Kansas weather.
Yep this weather has been great. I am probably 200 miles south of you. We have been in the 60's and 70's for a few days and the 7 day forcast looks pretty warm. I was putting out some doorhangers today and half of the lawns out there are needing mowed. Weeds and fescue are starting to thrive. Should be mowing a bunch next week.

Kelly's Landscaping
03-04-2005, 09:36 PM
Time it so you get the word out just as it warms up if people are thinking about landscaping your hit rate goes through the roof. I find March and April to be great months for new accounts I expect 100 new accounts in the next 60 days. Thing is we are under snow right now so I will be watching the weather and when it looks like we will have a some nice temps in the 50s or higher out go my 4-5000 letters and the fun begins.