PDA

View Full Version : Bleech Neutralizing Roundup?

Pard
02-05-2001, 07:26 PM
I had a farmer tell me that bleech neutralizes Roundup. He will use the same sprayer to spray a roundup ready feild one day then rinse it out with bleech and then spary selective herbicide the next. Do any of you guys do this or know anyone else who does. We have a large sprayer for a workman but we only run selective through it and we use backpacks for roundup. All are labled so once a sprayer has been used for roundup it never sprays selective. Am I being a little to anal?
Thanks for your help
Pard

greengeezer
02-05-2001, 07:45 PM
Pard,

When I first got into this business, the residual of Round- Up was supposed to be so powerfull that you couldn't use a tank for anything again but non-selective. Today there are several tank cleaners on the market. I also have heard of the bleach method but I'm not sure of the correct formula. I have used commercial tank cleaners for pesticides for several years. Not only for cleaning Round-Up out of tanks but also for converting lawn tanks into tree tanks. They are not very expensive and can work in 24 hours. Sure cuts down on the number of designated tanks you need to carry in inventory. Hope this helps.

Skookum
02-06-2001, 04:19 AM
Greengeezer,

Just curious, what do you do with the solution when you drain it from the tank? Do you let go on the ground or do you contain it, flush it in city sewer? Just asking.

KindGardener
02-06-2001, 04:26 AM
Based on what I'm reading into this thread - the "residual" from mixing just ONE tank of Roundup in my 2 gal sprayer is so powerful... I may not have to actually buy it again! Just keep fillling the tank with H20 & killing those weeds!

Actually, don't they just recommend triple rinse?

Greg Amann
02-06-2001, 08:09 PM
Actually on the label it can be used at a low rate as a growth regulator on turf grass. We are a pest control business in which 80% is lawn and ornamental. We use the same tank for Roundup, Manage, Asulox, etc. The only thing is we make sure to run clear water through the tank and hose after it has been emptied before mixing a new product.

greengeezer
02-06-2001, 10:20 PM
Skookum, we used to cycle the rinsate in our washwater/recycle tank. That waste water would be partly used as water fill for the lawn trucks(10% max and never in tree trucks).

KindGardener, as I said "when I first got in this business", when I first got in this business, Round-Up was a RUP(hence my moniker).LOL. As long as I'm reusing the tank for another herbicide, I'll just triple rinse and go. If I have to use the same tank for trees, I'll nutralize. Hope this clears up the confusion.

zipp669
02-19-2001, 02:11 AM
I use bleach & it works fine. Put 1 gallon in my 50 gal 3 pt sprayer.
might be overkill but i want it to kill out the roundup, then go out & spray broadleaf. Have not had a problem.
I looked at it this way, I mix when spot spraying 7 oz /gal. there cant be that much residual left to kill when you have no RU in the tank & would be so diluted after adding bleach & 50 gal water...I do let it run out on the ground, I have a gravel drive & it goz in my weeds..
my brother in law farms & he does not even tank wash after switching from RU to spraying beans..he always sez that it has only stunned the beans & they come out of it in 3-4 days..
just some ideas for u all