PDA

View Full Version : New Truck

Acute Cut
05-13-2000, 11:39 AM
I have a 73 P.O.S. I lost the starter last night while checking my mail at the PO Box. Easy fix, but it was the straw that broke the camels back so to speak. I think ill buy a new truck. I have had 5 people tell me different things. "F#&$^ Over Rebuild Dodge" (FORD) sucks they say. I like the look though. A Ram is too much truck for a lawn business i think. Chevy has had some problems i have heard. WHo knows. I am NOT a mechanic by any means so i have finally decided that new is the way to go. (Two trucks and 9 engines later->All in one year) What is your opinion. I know i will need bed space cause i mow like 10 lawns a day at least and haul clippings away. (Trailer for equip) My current rig (Or Rusty P.O.S. if you will) gets like 8-10 mpg. I would like to try to get that a little higher too i suppose. Have a good day ya'll.

Starling Lawn
05-13-2000, 04:13 PM
whichever you buy,go with the three quater ton....made for pulling a trailer

thelawnguy
05-13-2000, 04:35 PM
You dont say whether you will be plowing snow or if you do landscape installs. If just mowing, a 1/2 ton 2wd full-size pickup will be more than adequate even towing up to 4000 lb trailer. Most 3/4 ton trucks will top out at 10 mpg vs. 15+ for 1/2 ton. Ford, Dodge, GM-what works for some doesnt for another, so try em all out, they each have their +'s and -'s, ive heard good and bad about them all.<p>Bill

CA Enterprises
05-13-2000, 06:52 PM
I'll just tell what I have. I have a Chevy C3500/1ton. It is a crew cab which is nice for extra workers when needed, it has an 8 foot bed and will pull a house damn near off the foundation. <p>You really don't need this much truck, however, if you want the cab space you have to buy the 1 ton. I got the one with the single rear end. I didn't need duals, besides they are more expensive to keep up.<p>I also have a hay trailer that maxes out at 30k pounds so another reason for the larger truck.<p>If you want good gas mileage I would recommend buying a 3/4 ton with a diesel. I made the mistake of buying a 454 to save the intial $4000, but the gas is going to make up for that. <br>The new ford powerstroke super duty is nice, but don't get sticker shocked!! lol<p>Good luck,<p>Adam :)<br><p><font size="1">Edited by: CA Enterprises

Matt
05-13-2000, 08:58 PM
You guys know when i have a position I dont hold back! This is no exception! FORD!!! My truck has been to mars and back the bumpy way and is surviving! Ive always been around FORDs. Go with the F250 superduty If you can offord the 350 go with that but definatly dont just get a 150 Good luck. I can say that you wont have problems with a new truck... or an old FORD!! (See i told ya i had an opinion on this one! lol)

Lee Homan
05-13-2000, 09:00 PM
If I were in the market to buy a truck and I hauled off grass clippings I wouldn't buy a pick up truck. I would look at a good used 1 ton dump truck. It would be alot easier when emptying clippings and alot more handier when doing clean ups and you could always adapt a vac system to it for leaves. When I purchase my next truck I will definately be looking for a small dump truck. I know to well about dumping grass clippings out of a pick up. Good Luck.

AB Lawn Care
05-13-2000, 09:55 PM
I will agree with matt.I own a 81 ford f150.Its body is soon going to be toast but it has never let me down!And lets face it only one paint job in 19 years of hard labor is awsome!I have seen so many people buy new dodges becouse they look good and they soon after have problem after problem.I have found year after year that fords will keep on running and I hope you go with ford!<p>----------<br>from:Adam<br>AB Lawn Care

VWBug61083
05-13-2000, 10:35 PM
I agree, get a Ford. Get at least an F-250, and I'd opt for the diesel.

sdgoes
05-14-2000, 03:13 AM
If I were to buy today I would either buy a Ford or Dodge 3/4 ton. And I would have to go for a diesel. I like the cummins in the dodge better than the ford. But I have more fath in ford as far as the rest of the truck.<br>Homer just got a new dodge, You might ask him.<br>Steve

HOMER
05-14-2000, 07:08 AM
At this point I would have to recommend buying a Dodge. I am well pleased with mine and have found that there is a large difference between a 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton. I pull a 20' trailer with 3 ztr's every day, the 1/2 ton didn't have the braking power to stop it or the suspension to hold it very well. I now have the braking power and the ability to maintain my hiway speed even in a headwind! The diesel is much lighter on the wallet and the trips to the gas staion are less often. I haven't had it long enough to give long term results but others have told me they have been very happy with theirs. I hope it continues to impress me, I just wish I had bought one sooner.<p>Homer

thelawnguy
05-14-2000, 07:12 AM
Ten lawns indicates to me not a huge lawn business. I think either some of you guys are nutz or trying to make up for small &quot;tools&quot; recommending these monster trucks for pulling a small trailer and hauling clippings. I got along just fine for several years with a Mazda pickup, switched to a 3/4 ton only to accomodate the plowing business. If I were only doing mowing Id switch back to a compact truck or a s-10 blazer-type vehicle. <p>A big truck is just added expense for a one-or two man mowing crew. Like I stated prior why pay the added fuel/ insurance/ reg /tax /repair cost if you dont need to?<p>Bill

Gus
05-14-2000, 09:33 AM
I bought a 99 3/4 ton Silverado with the third door to replace a dying old Chevy. Man what a truck. They sure have come a long way since my former late eighties truck. That 6 liter motor pulls really well but the trade off is mileage which is about 12 m.p.g. pulling a trailer. Good luck on your decision.

Victor
05-14-2000, 12:17 PM
I think you'd be best off getting a Ford (F-350), with a Powerstroke Diesel. Like someone mentioned earlier. You just can't go wrong with a Ford. They're the best made, and selling trucks out there. Period. I work as a Mechanic for a major airline at one of our hub cities. How many trucks do you think we own? I have had a chance over the years to do a thorough evaluation on all of the major brands of trucks, since unlike SWA we don't just buy one brand of truck. <p>I only have one problem with Dodge trucks that have the Cummins engine........The engine comes with a Dodge truck wrapped around it. The Cummins engine is a fine engine. It's very reliable, and will have plenty of power for what you want to do with it. The problem lies in the transmission, differential, and braking systems of these trucks. All of our Dodge work trucks have had to have new transmissions installed by 13,200 miles except one. Not to mention the problems we have had with differentials going out on some, but not as many. Every single one of them has had brake problems.<p>The Fords have been in for minor things, but nothing that knocked them out of service. <p>I don't know if power matters to you, or not. If it does, then you'll be happy to know that the Powerstroke is rated at 500 ft. lb of torque. The Dodge has 420. The Dodges do pull really well, but they aren't as comfy to pull a 30,000lb push-tug with as the Fords are. <p>Now there's some guy on here that will tell you that you can install a plate between the injector pump, and block. He claims that this will bump the torque up to a million foot pounds of torque. Well you can get more power out of the Cummins this way than the Powerstroke, but not if you have to have the truck emission tested the way I do. Well....I'm gonna bring this novel to an end. I'm gonna have a lot of fun reading the replies.

tjg
05-14-2000, 03:34 PM
Gus, I also have a 99 Chevy 3/4 ton 4x4 w/ 6.0 liter and only get 7.5 to 8.5 mpg once totaly empty I got 9mpg, was just woundering if yours was 2 or 4 wheel drive. I traded off my 99 Dodge 3/4ton Quad cab w/ new Cummins loved the pulling power but didn't care for the cheap truck the underneath wasn't even paint to match the body, Chevy paint the whole truck, the overhead computer didn't even work right when I got it and it only had 318 miles on it, the dodge was only averaging 12 to 14 mpg not near as much as the salesman said it would. I am going to look real close at the new Chevy diesel - Durmax 6.6 liter w/300hp, just over 500 ft. lbs. of torque<p>----------<br>T.J. Greenfield<br>tjg_mc@hotmail.com

DMC300
05-14-2000, 03:42 PM
I have a 99'chevy 1/2ton ext cab.If i could i would go with the dumptruck in my situation,but two kids and a wife would be uncomfortable back there;).If i could do it over again the FORD 3/4 ton Diesel would be my choice in a pick-up,carrying all that i do.<p>----------<br>DON<br>LIANNES' MOWING

MOW ED
05-14-2000, 07:03 PM
Go to Search at the top and type in &quot;I want to cry&quot; - thats all I got to say about new trucks except for a reply in there that osc sent to me, &quot;Newer truck + work = old beatup work truck&quot; Its nice to have new but it hurts to see what I do to them.Good Luck.

southside
05-15-2000, 06:47 AM
Isuzu NPR 200 diesel.<p>Karl<br>

Victor
05-16-2000, 12:03 AM
TJ your story about the Dodge sounds familiar. As far as new Chevys with the new Duramax engines go. I think it'll make for one heck of a good unit. Isuzu makes a very, very good engine. Ask Southside. He's lucky enough to have an Isuzu truck. I'm sure it's been really good to him.<p>Victor

tbird
05-16-2000, 01:34 AM
well i own 2 fords 3 chevys and 1 dodge and i would have to say that the fords are by far the best built truck. chevys have the better motors gas that is and well dodge i are the cheapest built when it comes to the truck but have good motors. if i were to buy a new one i would go with the new chevy with the isuzu diesel in it but if you dont want to wait till them come out get the ford and well just leave dodge alone

Acute Cut
05-16-2000, 04:04 AM
Once again, WOW. I am new to this site and all but am totally impressed by the helpfulness and professionalism of ya'll. This is great. I can tell that MANY of you know WAY more than i do. I really appreciate all the imput on trucks. I am gonna try and get out tomorrow if i can to look at the fords. It appears that overall there seems to be a ford movement of support here and i like to go with tried and proven methods. Thanks for all your imputs. See ya'll later. Oh, and good news here, We had SUN today! First day in almost two weeks. Was an easy day. (finally) Later all and good luck to ya.

southside
05-16-2000, 07:27 AM
Victor, I don't actually own an Isuzu.Have <br>driven them when I was in the Towing industry.My actual mowing truck is a 1990<br>Mitsubishi Canter,cabover with 15'tray.<br>I would have suggested the Canter,but I don't<br>know if they're available in the US.I know <br>that Isuzu is. Isuzu do make a briliant truck.<p>Karl<br>

Barkleymut
05-16-2000, 08:34 PM
I have a 98 Dodge Ram 1500 with the 318. The power is ok, the braking is pretty poor. I have had zero problems in 30,000 miles. I just changed the trans. fluid since I heard this can be a problem with Dodge's. Anyways I certainly can't complain about my Truck. She fires up after every job and gets me to my next one. My best advice would be to get something new or something that you know that the previous owner took really good care of. If you are out a truck for a day or two or even worse a week then you are really in a jam. If I were you I would look for a Ford with a Powerstroke Diesel about 2-4 years old. They are tough to find but if you can save 10 grand then that would be a sweet find since you can probably put 250,000 miles on it easily.