PDA

View Full Version : Buying a Tacoma

Royallawncare
03-06-2005, 09:22 PM
For the last 5 years i've been in the business pulling my trailer with a 91 ford explorer. This year i started a new marketing campaign and decided to take this company off the ground and make it full time. My company is growing fast and am looking forward to buying a Tacoma to pull my trailer this year. I know this is a much smaller truck than many of you but i gotta start out somewhere. Do any of you pull with a Tacoma? Is it powerful enough to run this business? Should I look for a different truck? If so which one? What do you guys think?

Toy2
03-06-2005, 09:30 PM
I have a 96 Tacoma with the V6, I am pullimg a 16' enclosed, I have a 36'', a 21, blowers, trimmers, fuel, shovels, etc....It does fine, I start out with the overdrive off and ECT button on, it has only 59K miles, so its earning the rest...I think the day I get a ZTR, I might have to get a Tundra.

hosejockey2002
03-08-2005, 12:57 AM
A Tacoma may have the power to pull your trailer, but they have a teeny little bed and not much payload capacity. If you put 1,000 pounds in the bed the headlights will be pointing at the sky. For not much more money you can get a plain-Jane 3/4 ton regular cab pickup- choose the brand you like, they're all good. Then you can pull your trailer with ease and be able to haul a ton or two of stone, dirt or whatever at the same time. You can't do that with a Tacoma or even a Tundra.

Hartlawn Services
03-08-2005, 03:28 AM
I tow with a '97 Tacoma, and only a 2-wheel drive. Helper springs let you hold more payload and not be riding with your headlights straight up. My Tacoma has over 100k miles and it is still towing my trailer without much of a problem. While you could probably get a bigger truck for roughly the same price, you will not match the dependability--or longevity--of a Tacoma. And get the manual transmission if you can, it's much better for towing.

Smalltimer1
03-08-2005, 10:48 AM
I tow with a '97 Tacoma, and only a 2-wheel drive. Helper springs let you hold more payload and not be riding with your headlights straight up. My Tacoma has over 100k miles and it is still towing my trailer without much of a problem. While you could probably get a bigger truck for roughly the same price, you will not match the dependability--or longevity--of a Tacoma. And get the manual transmission if you can, it's much better for towing.

The Tacoma doesn't handle loads like a full size 3/4 ton will. It will wear out much faster from overloading and abuse. The Tacoma lacks adequate braking to safely pull a 14' or bigger trailer.

joallen001
03-09-2005, 09:05 PM
I also have a tacoma. Only 30k on it. How often do you guys chance transmission fluid.

Toy2
03-09-2005, 09:15 PM
I never have?? It has has a pampered life, I'm sure this year will be different pulling my trailer. :)