PDA

View Full Version : New Better pics of my truck

FrankenScagMachines
03-07-2005, 10:09 AM
Here it is after we took off the grandpa accessories (fiberglass topper and fender trim/running boards) and got it cleaned up a lot. I got the interior setup with my laptop and printer running off of a 400 watt dual outlet power inverter. I put in my Sony Xplod Cd/Mp3 player unit. The truck has 4 or 6 speakers in it from the factory and it sounds so good I won't bother to put in the amp and subs (they take too much valuable room anyway).
So far I really love this truck! I calculated it has saved me $48.67 in fuel the last 3 days. Of course I have driven it a lot where I would not have driven my other truck, instead I would have borrowed mom's Intrepid to save on fuel. But now I have a comfortable affordable vehicle to drive on trips and running around. On the first tank i've put in it, was 326 miles. The first half of that or more I was getting in it a lot around town, the second part was 140 miles interstate driving at 70-75 mph. Got 15.6 mpg. I would have got 7 mpg in my Ford flatbed (regardless of how you drive it or constant or stop and go). This tank of fuel I am babying it to see how good the best I can get is. I'm thinking around 18/19 or so is what I will get.

anyway here is some pics. Enjoy and let me know what you think. I still have yet to get my chrome wheels put on it (factory Dodge chrome wheels).

FrankenScagMachines
03-07-2005, 10:11 AM

FrankenScagMachines
03-07-2005, 10:13 AM
interior office shot. thats my little bro in the passenger seat.

FrankenScagMachines
03-07-2005, 10:19 AM
The printer is a HP DeskJet 672 Series or something like that. I don't know exactly but it was free and works great for what I need it for :) Saturday I gave an estimate on a mulching job and the guy was really impressed with the printed estimate on the spot :)
The printer sits right there just fine, doesn't go anywhere. The inverter I mounted under the edge of the seat on the corner of the center floor hump, under the edge of the passenger seat. I hard wired an auxillary fuse panel (all of my trucks have this, very handy when adding accessories) under the glove box. You can run up to 6 items off of it. I then wired the inverter up to that, so its fused there. Then the inverter has a fuse for each of its outlets. So hopefully nothing bad happens to the setup. I did have it running off of a 175W single output inverter but a buddy traded me this one so I have more than double the power plus two outlets :)
Sorry for rambling. I'm really excited about this setup, I think its gonna work great. i bought the materials to build a computer mount and it was going to work great but it ended up that there was no where to put it where the computer would not get in the way of the center console folding or opening up or the cupholder above the stereo or anything, and it works great sitting on the center console so I said just leave it there! You can close it and rest your arm on it so it doesn't slide anywhere.

Ok last pic for now.

Lux Lawn
03-07-2005, 10:22 AM
Good luck with your new truck..I would put a bug deflector on the front to dress it up a little bit.

dcondon
03-07-2005, 10:30 AM
Looks good FrankenScag.........Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes, a bug deflector would dress it up a little :)

FrankenScagMachines
03-07-2005, 10:39 AM
thanks guys. i might look into one this summer. right now i'm too busy and money is tight.

proenterprises
03-07-2005, 10:45 AM
excellent eric, glad to see you got your diesel rig at last!!!!
Looks like the ford in the background, if only I was closer I would take it.
When do you expect to be up and running by?

FrankenScagMachines
03-07-2005, 11:11 AM
Yes we live on a highway so its a great location to sell vehicles, mowers etc. The ford is "on the road" as we say.
We should start cutting in 3 weeks :o I'm not nearly ready. Will work on stuff a lot more this week, new advertising, renewals, etc.
Thanks,
Eric

Lawnchoice
03-07-2005, 11:29 AM
Eric,

Looks real good!

HP makes a portable printer that you might consider. I know that it will sit in the console of the Dodge and you can port some holes for the wiring to the laptop.

Great idea though. Go get em' !

FrankenScagMachines
03-07-2005, 11:33 AM
Nate,
Yes KSLand posted pics of it right after I'd see the same thing at Office Depot for $219. I'd love to have one though. KSLand put his in the console of his Dodge as well. Its nice but I like the room in the console too however something that small would be worth it, and keep it out of sight and away from dirt when not in use. Maybe later. Thanks,
Eric

John P.
03-07-2005, 08:35 PM
Great truck looks sharp ......i see the ford in the back round of the 1st pic. is it for sale? did you drive that truck as your every day car? ( the ford)

FrankenScagMachines
03-07-2005, 09:03 PM
Yes the Ford is for sale. It depends on what I was doing. If I was just messing around town I'd often drive it. If I was going any distance I would borrow mom's '00 Dodge Intrepid to save fuel costs. Now I just drive my Dodge/Cummins as it gets good fuel mileage :)

Thanks,
Eric

John P.
03-07-2005, 09:09 PM
so would you drive it to school reason I'm asking is I'm thinking about getting a flat be truck and am wondering what people will think when i bring it to school and drive it around as my every day car.

FrankenScagMachines
03-07-2005, 10:19 PM
Two ways to look at it or think about.
One- don't care what anyone thinks. They will either think your a redneck or else you're cool. Who cares.
Two- flatbeds, usually (like if a one ton dually) are a dedicated work truck. If you get one with a gas engine that has enough power to actually work, its not going to be affordable to drive daily like that unless your just filthy rich. You'll get tired of driving it eventually. I didn't mind driving mine around but it was a long wheelbase with 12' long bed, a little bigger than most of the one ton dually trucks around here, most were standard wheelbase with 9 or 10' beds, considerably smaller and tighter turning radius.

I decided the flatbed dually one ton was too much dedicated work truck. Didn't mind the fuel mileage when i was working but couldn't afford to drive it anywhere for personal use and it wasn't nice enough to use for that, though that didn't bother me at all really. I hated to borrow mom's car a lot, I mean I liked the car fine, though i'm not a car guy, just I didn't like putting miles on her stuff and wouldn't want to get in a wreck in someone else's vehicle.

I think its all in your own circumstance. If you are positive you would drive a dedicated work truck for daily driver, and your sure you can afford the fuel then it'd be ok. But they're larger and bulkier, don't "zip" around (never an issue for me, i'm fine driving big vehicles), harder to park and find parking space for, more costly to drive. The big flatbed was nice for work, I will miss it, but if its going to be a dual purpose vehicle and you won't be doing lots of landscaping work, then i'd strongly suggest reconsidering a pickup type truck. I have a small trailer and large trailer so I can handle any size loads but the flatbed was great and will be missed. However, whatever you do remember wherever you have an advantage you will have at least one disadvantage to equal it out :(

Think on it a while. Determine if you REALLY NEED that big truck. I probably don't need a 3/4 ton diesel even, a 1/2 ton gasser would probably do just as well but too much is just about right sometimes ;) I love this truck though and I think it will make a good truck for me and so far its great for personal use too. I took the small trailer with the Z on it to a town 45 minutes away to the dealer for service, you know what that truck did to me? It laughed! Absolutely had no idea the trailer was back there until I told it then it burst out laughing... LOL I'm serious haha.... That Cummins has so much torque its just awesome. Can't wait to pull the big trailer with it :)

John P.
03-07-2005, 10:29 PM
yeah that true i have never really cared what people thought of my car but what do people think when you pull up at a House with that truck for work or to give an estimate i wouldn't want to look like such a redneck but i like flat beds so I'm kinda stuck between one of those or a normal pick thanks for the help

Smalltimer1
03-07-2005, 11:23 PM
yeah that true i have never really cared what people thought of my car but what do people think when you pull up at a House with that truck for work or to give an estimate i wouldn't want to look like such a redneck but i like flat beds so I'm kinda stuck between one of those or a normal pick thanks for the help

Don't worry about what others think. If your money paid for it, then no one else has a right to complain about it.

Here's the truck I'm looking at restoring to use for work on my yards and repair business, a 1963 Ford F-600 Flatbed with a 292 V-8 4spd w/ 2spd rearend:

tiedeman
03-07-2005, 11:53 PM
sharp looking truck you have there

South Florida Lawns
11-29-2007, 11:44 PM
those cummins will last forever. I know of a guy that had 600,000 miles on his engine, which had been in three different dodges.

Gatewayuser
11-30-2007, 10:29 AM
those cummins will last forever. I know of a guy that had 600,000 miles on his engine, which had been in three different dodges.

wow talk about bringing up an old thread lol.