PDA

View Full Version : scag wildcat vs. turf tiger

HOMER
03-07-2005, 06:57 PM
Demoing a Wildcat..........27/ 61...............love it so far. One problem, the deck sticks out so far on both sides it tends to drag in certain conditions............my question, cause I don't have one in frt of me, is do the Turf Tigers have quite a bit less deck overhang.............does it have a wider track?

In the Scag's defense...........I have NOT adjusted the deck wheels on the outside, they are in the high position right now.

Texas Mower Parts
03-07-2005, 07:30 PM
The Tiger does have a wider stance. I think you would be happier with the Tiger. My .02

ProCare Lawn Service
03-07-2005, 07:35 PM
As explained to me.

Turf Tiger frame is larger and the mower is shaft driven.
Wild Cat uses the tiger cub frame and is belt driven.

Diesel84
03-07-2005, 07:39 PM
I have a tiger 61" and i just bought the wildcat 52". The tiger is alot bigger than the wildcat and does have a wider stance. With the 61" on the tiger the deck overhang is about 3 or 4 inches on each side. In my opion the overhang is perfect not to much and not to little. Are you going to be using the mower as a primary unit or an addition?

Travis Followell
03-07-2005, 09:13 PM
Another difference in the tiger and wildcat is the tiger has larger pumps and wheel motors and for 2005 comes standard with a suspension seat on LC models.

LLandscaping
03-07-2005, 09:33 PM
We have two Scag Tiger Cubs and I think if you get a 61in deck you should get the Turf Tiger. Because the Turf Tiger has a stronger frame, lower center of gravity because the fuel tank is mounted low to the ground and a larger fuel tank.

HOMER
03-07-2005, 09:46 PM
I have a tiger 61" and i just bought the wildcat 52". The tiger is alot bigger than the wildcat and does have a wider stance. With the 61" on the tiger the deck overhang is about 3 or 4 inches on each side. In my opion the overhang is perfect not to much and not to little. Are you going to be using the mower as a primary unit or an addition?

It would be the primary.........the Choppers would be relegated to the back up position!

I love the thing..........just think I'd like a Tiger better. The deck lift is too far to the left......I'm 5'7" and my knees hit the steering levers when I try to raise it for ant mounds and terraces. I can't see a 6 footer using this mower with ease.

Envy Lawn Service
03-07-2005, 09:53 PM
Don't leave out the point that the stance could be widened by installing a wheel with more offset. A wheel with a deeper dish would allow you to adjust the width out where you think it should be. But good luck finding the wheel. I can't seem to come up with what I want in a 10" wheel. But it should be a lot easier to find a 12" wheel that will work because they are a lot more readily used and in more variations.

Adjust those scalp wheels first though. Two down sides to a wider rear track is that when you hang the deck just over a curb to get all the grass, the tire will crush in the edging gap between the soil and the curb. Also, you tend to drive your rear tire into the tree rings, ect, when trying to mow around them. That's a pain and it sorta kills the point of a zero turn to have to stop, back up, reposition, ect, or just leave a ring of turf behind to be trimmed in order to keep your tires from crushing the edges or tracking into the mulch.

Diesel84
03-07-2005, 10:43 PM
If its gonna be the primary mower i would recommend the tiger. It is built stronger, has larger pumps, more hp, and is shaft driven. I put my tiger through alot and it held up great so far. I think you'll like it.

rob1325
03-07-2005, 11:13 PM
For the 61" I would reccomend the tiger. It has more power and engine options (you can get 35HP LC) and bigger pumps and frame. Also, you can put a bigger bagger on it if you need to.

HOMER
03-08-2005, 01:30 AM
I gotta tell ya, my questions about hill holding ability have been answered, this cat sticks........and has a climbing gear!

HOMER
03-08-2005, 06:27 AM
Funny thing is a guy stopped me yesterday when he saw the wildcat........wants to know if I want another Scag. I asked for details. Turf Tiger with 5 hours, he's had it one year and cut his yard with it 5-6 times, he's in the middle of a divorce and needs payoff.......around 6 grand. Sounds like a $2400.00 savings over a new one! :)

27/61..........sweet!

Mower Man
03-08-2005, 07:55 AM
Wildcat is a cross breed between the cute Cub, and his big brother El Tigre.
Trying to compete with many of the newer mowers using vertical engines which can have some real advantages:
Lower Center of Gravity,
Better ride,
More power to mower,
Quieter,
Simpler to service,
Less parts....lower price.

Carefeul with offsetting (positive) wheels.....can void wheel motor warranty.

grass_cuttin_fool
03-08-2005, 07:59 AM
Funny thing is a guy stopped me yesterday when he saw the wildcat........wants to know if I want another Scag. I asked for details. Turf Tiger with 5 hours, he's had it one year and cut his yard with it 5-6 times, he's in the middle of a divorce and needs payoff.......around 6 grand. Sounds like a $2400.00 savings over a new one! :)

27/61..........sweet!
Now that sounds like a real deal

Travis Followell
03-08-2005, 05:22 PM
Now that sounds like a real deal
I agree. That sounds like a sweet deal.

Jpocket
03-08-2005, 06:47 PM
If you need a 61" deck why would you get the Wildcat. Go straight for the Tiger. If it was maybe a 52" maybe

Stinger
03-08-2005, 10:40 PM
Homer, what's wp with the DC's? Why don't you want another?

HOMER
03-14-2005, 08:13 AM
Welllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll,

What I've figured out so far since demo'ing the Scag is...........although it might not be as fast, blade tip speed might be slower???? Not sure what BTS is...........the way this thing handles, agility and hill holding, I can get my work done faster than straight line speed.

Backing up: The Chopper loses traction and begins to dig if it's not sitting just right. The Scag backs up, no questions asked.

Hill hugging: The Chopper, even though they lowed it by 4" I think, still is not nearly as stable as this Wildcat. I took it to the very hill that I mow all the time, stopped it on the side of it........then turned it around........the Chopper would have slid off or turned over or had me pulling chunks of vinyl into my anal canal ;)

Now then........fit and finish: Since I have both machines, on my trailer I can look at them side by side. I can tell that overall the Scag seems to be built better. The wiring seems to be routed better, tucked away and secured better on the Scag. The paint and quality appear to be much better. The Chopper's deck............with 16 hrs on it, has flaking paint and is rusting.

Don't get me wrong.........I've owned 2 Choppers since 1998. I still use them. I've found after using the Scag that I can be more productive "overall" with it. My Choppers combines probably have 9000 hours on them, but they are beginning to nickel and dollar me to death........they should.....their old. I have a 48" Scag Super Z that I bought in 97. Aside from the fact that it's in the shop now getting a muffler and carb work.....it has 1550 hrs.........this might be it's 2nd trip to the shop for anything major.

I've owned both so I think I can speak with some authority on each machine. Chopper has made improvements over what I currently run........Scag made improvements over my present mower and seat of the pants tells me they won the battle. I can ride that Scag places I wouldn't dare take the Chopper. That leaves me with a weed eater in my hands a lot more than I want one there. I'm sure Exmark and other makers have dropped their machines down so they'll hold hills too. The Exmark I demo'd last year felt stable too, much more than the Chopper. It'll be a tough decision bit it won't be nearly as tough as it was!!!

That's that with that!!!!