PDA

View Full Version : Diesels

John P.
03-07-2005, 09:21 PM
looking into buying a diesel but the only type i can aford is an older one 8, 9 years old my qustion is what should i look over when im looking at them and what thinks to watch out for.

Guthrie&Co
03-07-2005, 09:32 PM
look for blue smoke, oil leaks, hard starting when cold, missing. stuff like that dont get the older 12v cummins. its weak and way low on poewr. if i had to do it all over again i would get an 94-98 powerstroke.

mag360
03-08-2005, 08:07 AM
Dodge/cummins or Ford/powerstroke would be your best bet in those years if you want power. Dodge or Chevy/GMC would be your best bet for fuel economy. Chevy/GMC had better automatic trannies (barely). Cummins has a higher life expectancy (though you'll never hit it).

My choice would be a cummins with 5 speed manual.

As a note---the cummins and the international(powerstroke) were both used in CDL rated trucks so you can be sure there is enough power available in both to move 27,000 lb+ GVW trucks.

afford a bill
03-08-2005, 08:56 AM
I bought a ram 2500 diesel and love it, I don't have to worry about what station is lowest in price for the day, and my truck is getting about 23mpg
pulling my big trailer its getting 18mpg and thats with equipt on the trailer too!