PDA

View Full Version : Chocolate Mulch????

twins_lawn_care
03-08-2005, 03:24 PM
I've been getting some things in the mail and have seen it at shows lately, and wonder if anyone has actually used this type of mulch. I guess it is basically the shell from the cocoa beans, and it's used as a mulch.
Smells a lot better than manure!

Just curious what kind of comments you guys have on it?

theturfsurfer
03-08-2005, 03:39 PM
Some of my customers have used it. I does have a distinctive smell. The only problem I have with it is it doesn't like to have a leaf blower used on it. The smell lessens over time.

tiedeman
03-08-2005, 03:56 PM
If I remember correctly it is quite expensive

JKOOPERS
03-08-2005, 04:22 PM
i think its stupid to use something like that unless you bag the whole property . also its its too light

1MajorTom
03-08-2005, 05:23 PM
Yes it smells nice, but if that's the reason the customer would want to use, it's not worth it. The aroma doesn't stick around long enough.

SodKing
03-08-2005, 05:29 PM
Mostly we use is in annual beds and perrenial beds. It smells like a Hershey Bar which makes sense. It is a bagged product. It is light but at the same time it is not a bed we blow out every week.

Groundcover Solutions
03-08-2005, 05:30 PM
Yeah I have seen the stuff way to light you will lose alot of it with high winds. I would say it is best used for smaller indoor applications JMO

PLM-1
03-08-2005, 06:21 PM
Doesn't that mulch kill animals if they ingest it?

stevesmowing
03-08-2005, 06:58 PM
They are nice because they don't build up each year like mulch does. Yes, they are bagged and the shells are light. Most people here just use regular mulch.

old dog
03-08-2005, 08:20 PM
My experience is-never spit in the wind and don't use cocoa hull mulch where it is windy.
As with most goog smelling mulches,it lasts only a little while.If someone is having
a fancy to-do,such as a wedding or reception,it helps keep odors pleasant outside.

pjslawncare/landscap
03-08-2005, 11:48 PM
Ive used it and water carries it away on a heavy down pour. Some spots are bare exposing weed fabric. In many places, it washes over the edging into grass areas. It floats like thousands of tiny little boats. I used died wood mulch now with much happier results :waving:

steve in Pa.
03-11-2005, 06:29 AM
We have one customer who always wants cocco mulch put down. Her property takes 35 bags to do. It is very light as everyone said and definitly makes you crave some chocolate while applying it. We get it from a place in hershey where its directly bagged at. I think it runs around 3.25 a bag.

SOMM
04-26-2006, 05:36 PM
Just got the sad, sad word from an out of state cuz yesterday.
Cocoa Mulch ingestion killed his classmate's family's pedigreed puppydog after last week's puppy obedience class. That quick !

Ask any vet - will tell you dogs need to stay away from any form of Chocolate.

Glad we never did, and we sure ain't puttin' it down, now, ever!
We'll side with post #8 on this issue of a product that needs to be banned, and yet they sell it bagged at Home Depot !!! Sadistic Mfr's need to get it out of their garden centers !!!

sheshovel
04-26-2006, 06:24 PM
Floats and blows away...looks ok while it lasts..but that is not very long.Around here one good storm is all it would take.Never heard about it killing animals..that is a new one on me.

AintNoFun
04-26-2006, 09:48 PM
i hope you dont use any type of chemicals/herbicides on any of your propertys because that would be sadistic too.. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Just got the sad, sad word from an out of state cuz yesterday.
Cocoa Mulch ingestion killed his classmate's family's pedigreed puppydog after last week's puppy obedience class. That quick !

Ask any vet - will tell you dogs need to stay away from any form of Chocolate.

Glad we never did, and we sure ain't puttin' it down, now, ever!
We'll side with post #8 on this issue of a product that needs to be banned, and yet they sell it bagged at Home Depot !!! Sadistic Mfr's need to get it out of their garden centers !!!

Bustus
04-26-2006, 10:01 PM
Dogs dieing from it is a new one. Some clients love it and will ask for it, even knowing how light it is and how it can be ruined after a storm. It does smell really good though, for a while.