PDA

View Full Version : Help with Hiring help!

old dog
03-08-2005, 07:35 PM
How do the multiple crew operators go about hiring help?I have done it
but qualifying people before hiring is the toughest part of my business ;)
I have ways which kinda work and have found ways that don't :realmad:
Just like to see what some of you have to say :help:

tiedeman
03-08-2005, 09:10 PM
are you looking for the people first, or are you talking about after you find them the interview process?

Groundcover Solutions
03-08-2005, 11:42 PM
Here is what I did and will do once we expand our canton location. I started with me and another person. We both got to a point where he understood and accomplished everything to the standerds that I would (it takes time) then you can trust this person to run your next crew. This way you both take on new employees insted of highering an intierly new crew. that way you both train the people at the same time saving you time and money. Worked great for me in the past and I hope it will continue to work in the times to come. Also finding people is hard I asked all of my guys first if they knew anyone I trust there opinions on who would be a good worker. Because it is benifical to both me them to have a hard working employee. If you are still looking for people try any orginizations you belong to IE church, school, ect... then if all else fails you go to the papers and make sure you do a good threrow job of interviewing.

old dog
03-09-2005, 07:58 PM
are you looking for the people first, or are you talking about after you find them the interview process?
I have 5 employees now.Actually I am asking on both accounts.I am already doing some things but want to see what I may have missed.It seems as if
for every 10 people I talk to 8 just won't make the job and about 1 of 30
actually are good as a new hire(1 of 6 I would hire)It is definitely the
hardest part of what I do!What do you find?

old dog
03-09-2005, 08:03 PM
Here is what I did and will do once we expand our canton location. I started with me and another person. We both got to a point where he understood and accomplished everything to the standerds that I would (it takes time) then you can trust this person to run your next crew. This way you both take on new employees insted of highering an intierly new crew. that way you both train the people at the same time saving you time and money. Worked great for me in the past and I hope it will continue to work in the times to come. Also finding people is hard I asked all of my guys first if they knew anyone I trust there opinions on who would be a good worker. Because it is benifical to both me them to have a hard working employee. If you are still looking for people try any orginizations you belong to IE church, school, ect... then if all else fails you go to the papers and make sure you do a good threrow job of interviewing.
I have done most of what you suggest and add it is good advice.Twice I have gotten a guy to the "foreman" state and once he gets the responsibility walks
out to get another job"where I know what hours I work".Man,does that bite
and both times money was not an issue.I am to the point in business where
I need the "right hand helpers" to continue to grow. I like to tell people
that the equipment is easy,selling jobs is easy,paperwork is ok,but finding
good people is what i really seem to struggle with-and keeping them!

Groundcover Solutions
03-10-2005, 02:21 AM
Yes keeping people is key! If i get a good employee and I think they will be with me for a while I will try my best to keep them. I will go out of my way to provide the things they want and need. Pluse my employees are not just employees to me they are friends and part of the fam. So when they need something and I can help I do and vice versa. I liston to there sugestions and they liston to mine. But yes there are times where it is my way or the highway and they understand this. last year one of my employees got married soon after he told me they were having a kid. I was not currently offering him benafits IE health insurance because his wife was getting it through her job. So all was good untill she got to the point where she could not work any more. So she went on maternity leave we she was just in a low level position so she was easaly replaceable and also she would need time with the kid once she was born so she wanted to cut back hours. So I looked into benafits and decided to go on with it I had to get a group plan for all sorts of reasons I was already covered under another plan but I took on this new one as well for me and him. Inorder for him to get health insurance yes it takes a little more out of the co. but hey it keeps my guy working for me. He is a great worker and I hope to keep moving him up the ladder as we grow and he will hopefully stick around for a good time to come. Also at the end of the year got him a company phone so and other small gestures.

old dog
03-10-2005, 08:57 PM
I had one real good guy that went downhill fast after he got married.Seems she had a problem with him being "just a gardener" and threw 50 fits until he left his job.Why I
could not figure as she was from a farm background and that shouldn't have been a
problem.I provide health if needed,a phone for key people,unemployment in off season
and they get a 10% pay bonus into a retirement SEP-IRA.I have found if they are too
young money is the only thing that counts. I hire college kids during summer but that
always leaves spring and fall short handed.I try to treat as friends,but have learned
sometimes you gotta be the SOB or get taken advantage of!