PDA

View Full Version : 1997 Ford F-350

SouthernLawncare
03-09-2005, 12:29 AM
Hey guys, im not really new here but just starting to post. Just wondering what yall think about the price on this truck im getting ready to buy. Its a 1997 Ford f-350 XLT 4x4 diamond plate aluminum flatbed dually. Its got 110,000 miles with a superchip and banks aftermarket turbo, its a hoss. Just wondering what yall think about the price. He's asking $16,000 but i talked him down to $14,000. I think its reasonable because its got a lot of extras on it. Lemme know what yall think.

bnrhuffman
03-09-2005, 12:52 PM
That sounds a little steep but not too bad if its what you are looking for.
Sometimes its tough to find the truck you are looking for and when you find it, its worth paying for.
Just for reference, a couple years ago I was in the market for a 1 ton dump truck. I wanted 4X4, manual shift and either a big block gas or diesel in good shape. I looked long and hard and ended up paying $18000 for a 97 F350, PSD, 5spd, 57000 mls, with dumpbed. The bonus was that it also had a snow plow. $18000 was probably more than most wouldve payed for it but it was exactly what I was after and a tough find so it was worth it to me.
Your truck is probably worth about 12000 from a private party, if its in good shape but if you really like the truck, 14000 isnt too much.

procut
03-09-2005, 02:16 PM
Sounds a little high to me also, but bnrhuffman makes a good point about how if its exactly what you have been looking for, it may be worth paying that.

Jerry and Sons
03-09-2005, 02:28 PM
just bought a 2000 f-350 lariet 4x4 v10 with only 26,000 miles for $19,950, price seems high. I would alos be concerned with the extra motor work. What was the truck used for prior to you looking inot buying it.

SouthernLawncare
03-09-2005, 06:45 PM
Hey guys, thanks for the replies. Its kinda hard to get an honest used price on the truck because it was a regular cab 8ft bed. My buddy has owned it for the past 5 years and just recently converted it to a flatbed dually with a 150 gallon fuel tank on the back. He just recently got into small excavating with a bobcat 331 mini excavator and a john deere 270. I talked him into getting an F-550 4x4 which he just recently purchased last week. The truck pulled the gooseneck for a little under a year so it hasnt been used that much. Im not concerned with the motor mods because everything was professionally done and its not to extensive. But....anyhow, Think im going to sign the papers tom. so I'll get pics as soon as I can. Also buying a new 16ft landscape trailer if I can find one I like at the right price., Thanks guys.

lwcmattlifter
03-09-2005, 06:48 PM
Which trans does it have?

SouthernLawncare
03-09-2005, 06:54 PM
5 speed manual, just had new clutch and flywheel installed last month.

bayfish
03-09-2005, 09:20 PM
I've got a 1988 F350 stake body dually with the old 7.3 or 6.9L diesel 5 speed manual. I bought it a year ago for $2000.00 and put another $3000.00 to get it the way I want it. The truck runs great. It does'nt get used everyday, but it hauls a lot of mulch in the spring and fall and lots of leaves.

lwcmattlifter
03-10-2005, 12:45 AM
Around here 14,000 would be a good price. 110k is just getting broke in.

SouthernLawncare
03-10-2005, 02:06 AM
I like those sides bayfish, thinking bout doing something like that to this one to, like you said haul mulch and debris in. Lwc, thats what I though also, square bodied fords are getting hard to find around here, especially one this nice. I'm not a ford guy but found this one hard to pass up, I've always owned chevy's and wanted a cummins but, hey, there all about the same just personal preference. Still got two chevy's but this vehicle will be my nicest one yet. Thanks for the replies yall, gonna try and get pics posted as soon as I go get it, prob. thurs. or friday.

SouthernLawncare
03-10-2005, 02:09 AM
Ha, Would of bought a cummins but cant find one I like, and the friggin chevy's are to dam expensive, diesels anyway, forgot to put that in the last post. By the way, in the market for a 6.5 x 16 tandem, anybody own a big tex? Just wondering, Let me know. Thanks

Smalltimer1
03-10-2005, 08:24 AM
Ha, Would of bought a cummins but cant find one I like, and the friggin chevy's are to dam expensive, diesels anyway, forgot to put that in the last post. By the way, in the market for a 6.5 x 16 tandem, anybody own a big tex? Just wondering, Let me know. Thanks

No need to have second thoughts, that Ford will be fine. Did you check the SCA level in the coolant?

FrankenScagMachines
03-10-2005, 11:03 AM
Bayfish,
Good lookin' F350. 1988 should have a 7.3 liter diesel (Not PowerStroke, these were factory turbo models that came out in '94).
You can straighten the front bumper real easy with a friend to eyeball the straightness and level... Just loosen the bolts underneath and wiggle it where you want and hold it then tighten the bolts, and looks much better :) Mine was crooked like your driver side, the whole thing was, and I straightened it out, looks good :)

Want to buy another? I Have my '89 F350 flatbed for sale.

bnrhuffman
03-10-2005, 02:11 PM
No need to have second thoughts, that Ford will be fine. Did you check the SCA level in the coolant?

Good point about checking the SCA level. Powerstrokes can be bad about cavitation, especially if theyve had work done to them and the antifreeze wasnt refilled correctly.
Personally, I dont know for the life of me why Ford went away from the 7.3. That engine has a pretty good track record.

bayfish
03-10-2005, 04:37 PM
Bayfish,
Good lookin' F350. 1988 should have a 7.3 liter diesel (Not PowerStroke, these were factory turbo models that came out in '94).
You can straighten the front bumper real easy with a friend to eyeball the straightness and level... Just loosen the bolts underneath and wiggle it where you want and hold it then tighten the bolts, and looks much better :) Mine was crooked like your driver side, the whole thing was, and I straightened it out, looks good :)

Want to buy another? I Have my '89 F350 flatbed for sale.

Thanks for the tip on the bumper.

I'm surprised you're selling that truck. You put a lot of work into it. Might be wise just to hang on to it. Could last a long time if it's not your frontline vehicle. You know how hard they are to come by, in decent shape. What are you replacing it with?

bayfish
03-10-2005, 04:39 PM
I like those sides bayfish, thinking bout doing something like that to this one to, like you said haul mulch and debris in. Lwc, thats what I though also, square bodied fords are getting hard to find around here, especially one this nice. I'm not a ford guy but found this one hard to pass up, I've always owned chevy's and wanted a cummins but, hey, there all about the same just personal preference. Still got two chevy's but this vehicle will be my nicest one yet. Thanks for the replies yall, gonna try and get pics posted as soon as I go get it, prob. thurs. or friday.
The side are made of salt treated 5 1/4. Painted with a solid base stain. Regular paint won't work well on salt treated.

FrankenScagMachines
03-10-2005, 09:03 PM
Tom,
Its an awesome work truck. With the 7.5 liter 460 big block gas engine it gets 7 miles per gallon no matter what you do with it or how you drive it. Being as I'm 17 and have two other trucks, this one is the least useful of them in many ways. I replaced it with a '94 Dodge 3/4 ton with a Cummins. Gets 16 mpg at worst so far (haven't towed with it yet though). Upper teens is average for it. I can't complain. Plus, its much nicer as a whole, so a lot better for sales calls and personal use, and road trips, etc. The flatbed was great for work but not practical for what I really need a vehicle to do, as I need a multi-purpose vehicle and it was a dedicated work truck. My old '76 Dodge is my 4x4 rompin' truck and plowtruck. Gets 8 mpg, is pretty ugly (I call it tough looking LOL) and is not comfortable or nice to drive, its a rugged truck though. So its not good for personal use, sales calls, or what-not either.

Couldn't afford to drive the F350 when not working.
This Cummins I drive all over the place, highway, interstate, running around, sales calls, work, etc.
So far I really like this Dodge.

Can't afford to keep the F350 right now as a third vehicle. I'm only 17, there's only one of me to drive a truck at a time :)

bayfish
03-10-2005, 11:08 PM
Those Dodges are tough. The old Dodge plow truck, is it the old "Power Wagon"? I still see some of those running around.

FrankenScagMachines
03-11-2005, 09:04 AM
Its a 3/4 ton stripped down PowerWagon that Dodge shipped to the government to use in military applications. The military then beefed up the springs to 1 1/4 ton capacity and they called it an M880. They had a few variations of this truck and the last digit was different per model. They had ambulance models called M883 I beleive, and radio truck models M881 or M882, etc. They had manual steering (despite civilian issue PowerWagon's having power steering), no stereo or speakers, and a few other convenience items missing. But they were much the same as a PowerWagon just less fancy. It sure is a tough and tough looking truck. Indestructable and super easy to work on. Parts don't cost much either. Love it :)

Smalltimer1
03-11-2005, 09:41 AM
Personally, I dont know for the life of me why Ford went away from the 7.3.

One word: Emissions. :dizzy:

SouthernLawncare
03-14-2005, 02:45 AM
Thanks for the info. bayfish, will be posting pics hopefully Mon. or Tues., been busy haulin the rest of my hay in from the fields the past couple days but I did pick it up Thursday and I love it. It's a beast, Been using it a lot for the farm, hauled 20 rolls of hay on it yesterday on buddies gooseneck and It did a wonderful job. I'm sure I'll start mulching sometime soon if it ever stops raining here and I'll be able to see how much mulch it'll hold, if I get some sides put on that is.

bnrhuffman
03-14-2005, 07:15 AM
Just an FYI for you.
The only issue Ive had with my 97 PSD is that the oil pan rusted through. It actually rusted through to the point that it was seeping oil. Replacing the oil pan in one of these is quite the ordeal. It requires pulling the engine out and would have cost me over $1000 to have someone do. Im pretty mechanical but it was more than I was willing to take on at the time. I cleaned it off real good and JBWelded the whole pan. It is holding strong so far.
Anyway, I did some research and this has happened to others. Just something for you to look at and head off before it gets to the point of leaking like mine did.

SouthernLawncare
03-14-2005, 02:53 PM
I appreciate that info. gonna go look at mine right now and check it out. thanks.

LHlandscaping
03-20-2005, 09:31 PM
I had a 97 F-350 4x4 dump with a 5 spd and a 460 gas until last August. I loved the truck dearly but had to trade it in on a new one. Repairs were killing me. Mine was a good truck but it was abused alot before I got her. I probably spent $4500 in 9 months fixing her. When I traded it she had 140,000. In the ten thousand miles I had the truck I replaced the PTO, heater core, complete front end, ball joints tie rods etc. So I guess watch out when they have between 120-150 miles because that's when some things seem to go out on them. I hope you have good luck with your truck. The 97's were a nice style and have a true truck ride to them. Not a plush wimpy ride like my 04.