PDA

View Full Version : Fall Cleanup methods?

1BadHawk
03-09-2005, 08:11 AM
Just looking at different ways people do their leaf removal. Ive been told to blow whatever you can into surrounding woods, then the remainder blow into a pile agains a wall, or curb and then run a vac of some sort. Im new to this business and really dont anything about fall cleanups as far as equpment needed per say. I'd like to get a better understanding of how its done and what methods work well so I can purchase the right equpment. Please, any pointers?

DaLLa$
03-09-2005, 08:25 AM
We take ot the back pack blowers and blow everything into a few different piles then rake the pile into a 20x20 ft tarp. Then 2 guys cary it to the trailer and dump it.

1BadHawk
03-09-2005, 09:15 AM
Sounds like the least expensive method. Works for me. Any others?

I have an 8' bed pickup and a 16' landscape trailer. How do you store your equipment and still have room for leaves?

Aaron Marshall
03-09-2005, 09:42 AM
I go around and blow leaves away from trees, shrubs, the house, etc, then I mow over the whole yard with my walker GHS and suck everything up. I have a blower mounted on the tounge of my trailer that sucks the leaves from the ground and loads them into my truck. Hope that helps.
Aaron

Aaron Marshall
03-09-2005, 09:43 AM
P.S. Just so you know, it is almost Spring Clean-up Time!!! :waving:

IronHorse3136
03-09-2005, 10:05 AM
We did the tarp thing last year and decided to build our own vaccuum trailer. Took an 8ft tilt trailer, built a 6x5x6 box covered with wire mesh and screen wire, purchased a vaccuum kit from SWISHER, Briggs and Stratton 8hp commercial engine, 20ft of 6" flex hose, and sucking up leaves, twigs, and clippings like mad. Just yesterday, two of our guys cleaned up one account with a wooded yard in about 4 hrs. One man blew everything to the driveway and the other sucked them into the trailer. We have another client that wants all of the leaves we will give him and took the leaves to him and dumped them in about 2 min. There's no way that we could have fit that many leaves in the bed of the truck. We have another clean-up for this afternoon. I'll take some pictures and show everybody.

Jerry

Mo Green
03-09-2005, 10:12 AM
I blow leaves out of beds and from around obstacles into the center of the yard with my backpack blower. Then I use an older JD lawn tractor with the bagger attachment and gator blades, and run over them, mulching them into the bagger. Then I dump them into my trailer.

lwcmattlifter
03-09-2005, 10:29 AM
We blow leaves into piles and carry them to the curb. Next the leaf loader gets them to the trailer. Its a lot easier to dump in the woods but not all customers want that.

RLS2005
03-09-2005, 10:40 AM
we pretty much do the same thing, make piles of leaves all throughout the yard (you can either rake the leaves in a pile or we usually will take our lazers and go around in circles to make piles that way.) Then rake them on 20 x 20 tarps. We usually will tie the tarp to the back of a Lazer and pull it with that. Gives your back a little break. Those tarp full of leaves can get heavy especially when wet. Then usually with fall clean ups, when all the leaves are off the yard, I will quickly run over the yard to put stripes in it, to make it look good. Hope this helps.

Ron

1BadHawk
03-10-2005, 06:52 AM
Thanks guys, some good suggestions.

Im thinking of sectioning off part of my 16' trailer to hold leaves and mulch. Has anyone done something like this and have any pictures?

jeffex
03-10-2005, 09:11 AM
first I sell the gutter cleaning and get up on the roof to blow the gutters clean with the backpack blower. I tie a safety line around the chimney on the roof. Then I blow out the beds and away from the house. I ride around and around until the leaves are ground up with the mulching kit mower. As a final pass I put the grass gobbler on the other mower and it looks like I vacuumed the lawn. You would be surprised at how grinding a huge pile of leaves will turn it into dust. Average lawn only has 2-3 bags when I'm done and I leave them at the curb. I sell my customers on leaf maintenance . Rather than one big cleanup I come several times in the fall and charge extra to mow and mulch up the leaves. This makes the final cleanup easier and spreads the cost out for the customer. This is a low equipment cost method [mulch kit and bagger]. Leaf cleanup in the spring and fall are great ways to attract new customers who cant get their yards to look that good.