PDA

View Full Version : Heard thru the Grapevine> New Walker Speed

David Grass
03-09-2005, 07:42 AM
I heard thru the grapevine, that the new Walker coming out in April with the 31 hp liquid cooled Kohler was clocked at the factory at 7 mph. The person I spoke with is checking to see if the speed up kit will get it to a respectable 8 mph. It is fine to have a mower that can go 15 mph, but realistically, I can only mow from 5 to 8 and get a quality cut. My Walker does 6, but in the dry summer I would like to go 8. Just thought I would pass it on to you guys, in case the speed factor was keeping you away from a great machine!

Boycea
03-09-2005, 06:47 PM
In the last issue of "Walker Talk" Magazine on page 19, their is a brief description of a new mower called the Model MTL that will have the top ground speed increased fro 5mph to 7mph. Is this the model you are referring to??

Adam

The Dude
03-09-2005, 06:54 PM
7 whole miles per hour? 7! wow ;)

David Grass
03-10-2005, 07:36 AM
yes, it is the MTL, and I think a speed up kit will put it at 8. For the previous sarcastic wow comment, if you mow at 15 mph, more power to ya, but I mow yards adjacent to an Exmark owner, same size yards and our mowing time is the same (I use a 52 side discharge), in fact, I go mow the hill between the 2 because he cant stay on it, with a walker and a 52 deck, you can mow anything that a WB can, once you have thousands of hours of experience on one like I do. My point being, in carolinas you cannot mow faster than 8 and usually you must slow to about 6 or 7 (my Hustler WB does 8)

MOW ED
03-10-2005, 08:37 AM
I have also found that unless you have to traverse wide areas of parking lot or just like popping wheelies, speeds over 8MPH are pretty much just to cool you off.
My kidneys and fillings can't mow much faster than that. That being said, yes I have demoed all the major brands of Z's. Nice machines but my business runs well with a Walker.

Lawnworks
03-10-2005, 10:04 AM
I hope they include a seatbelt for their new model. 5mph felt like living on the edge with a Walker. I know, I know Walker's have their place in the mowing world.... it just so happens that my Walker's place is behind the shed... rusting.

MOW ED
03-10-2005, 10:17 AM
I know, I know Walker's have their place in the mowing world.... it just so happens that my Walker's place is behind the shed... rusting.

Ya Dixie is the bomb dude. Why don't you cut your losses and sell the Walker or does it look good next to the couch and 1976 pinto back there.

Aaron Marshall
03-10-2005, 10:22 AM
Ha ha ha... good one Mow Ed!
I beleive that there are mowers that are better for different styles of yards and Walker works great for me too. :waving:

KBequip.
03-10-2005, 10:40 AM
HAve you guys seen the new Navigator from Exmark?
What do You think?

MarcSmith
03-10-2005, 10:43 AM
A walker was my first riding mower. I loved it I went to the Exmark Lazer, but the walker always had a place. Each mower had a certain niche to fill....

That being said. Id love to get my hands on a older walker 36" GHS for my house...Time to retire the 1963 753 Wheel horse.....and I don't feel like walking behind a 21"

Lawnworks
03-10-2005, 01:54 PM
LOL... Oh come on Mow Ed... I would cut my losses and sell it but it just looks so darn cute back there. And just for the record I am not a brand blind guy. I think Exmark cuts the best, Hustler's are the best value, and Dixie Chopper's are just the most fun to operate, but the only thing I can think that Walker's are good is.... well I will get back to you when I think of any. Naw, I just enjoy razzin you sensitive Walker guys.

David Grass
03-10-2005, 02:17 PM
Exmark has a great cut, but I also really like the cut of a 52 side on a Walker, plus, if we can get it up to 8mph, I can hang with you exmark guys, but can also mow on a steeper (much steeper) slope, and I can change out to a 72 or a 42 in minutes, thus having a lot of flexibility!!!! OH, or a perforator, or a 48 bagging deck or a ...............ie something you cannot do on any other brand that I know of.

walker/redmax
08-20-2005, 05:12 PM
Lawnworks, my Walker has its place out mowing. Not just mowing, but mowing faster (overall time), smoother and overall better than you with your little sandbox toys that you call lawn mowers. :p