PDA

View Full Version : The March 8/9 storm was painful. Ouch.

lawnguyland
03-09-2005, 10:56 AM
I thought that last night's storm created the worst working conditions so far this snow removal season. This additional snow plus what may come to the northeast this weekend will undoubtably delay the landscaping season even more.
I do snow removal using snowblowers and shovels for resi landscape customers and their neighbors (please no plow suggestions). For guys with plows who never get out of the truck it makes not much of a difference, but for those who were out yesterday, did you think last night was the worst conditions to work in this year or what? I thought last night's winds and temp drop and resulting ice sucked the big one. I'm billing accordingly! More this weekend, and then again I will make the request to those or He that control such things...one more snow this weekend, then monday I would like to see the grass again and temps in the 60s. thanks in advance. Time for :sleeping:

rodfather
03-09-2005, 11:07 AM
I cannot ever remember seeing so many accidents.

It took me an hour and 15 minutes to get to my yard (3.5 miles away) to put on the plows. I saw SUV's on their roofs, cars up steep embankments, and a dozen or more tractor trailers in the median strip of I-78 (which by way was closed for more than 5 hours).

Horrible is not even close to describing yesterday IMO...

AL Inc
03-09-2005, 11:09 AM
Yeah, last night was tough. I do mostly residential and some small parking lots. I had my brother with me, and he was having a tough time. The snowblower was kicking up the snow, and then the wind was blowing it all over the place. I helped him shovel at a lot of the places, it was COLD. Glad that night is over

lawnguyland
03-09-2005, 11:11 AM
Yeah guys, it's still a sheet of ice out there on the roads. I heard there were 100 accidents on I-80 alone last night in NJ.

"Luke...I am your rodFather"

Lux Lawn
03-09-2005, 11:12 AM
They were calling for an inch of snow over night on Monday we started plowing Tuesday morning at 5:30 with about 4 inches and got a total of 9.I think they miscalculated a little.
How much did you get up in the NY,NJ area?

lawnguyland
03-09-2005, 11:13 AM
We got around 4-5 inches in Nassau county on LI. But, it was a sheet of ice here and 10 inches there with the bittahhh winds.

rodfather
03-09-2005, 11:15 AM
We got only a couple of inches Larry but that turned to ice in a heartbeat. Walked out of my house around 1 in the afterrnoon to go and put the plows on, took 2 steps off the porch and immediately became Dorothy Hamill of the Ice Capades LOL...good thing I got a fat azz!

Lux Lawn
03-09-2005, 11:17 AM
Monday it was 60 degrees here in the afternoon then we got a little rain and the temp started to drop, I said no way is it going to snow .When I left my house I couln't even see down the street.There was some ice under the snow thats for sure but i'm just glad with all that snow it was light and fluffy.

Lux Lawn
03-09-2005, 11:19 AM
We got only a couple of inches Larry but that turned to ice in a heartbeat. Walked out of my house around 1 in the afterrnoon to go and put the plows on, took 2 steps off the porch and immediately became Dorothy Hamill of the Ice Capades LOL...good thing I got a fat azz!

Rod
How many trucks do you put out for plowing?
Mostly for Residential or commercial.

rodfather
03-09-2005, 11:20 AM
Same here...got up to 64 degrees and then whammo. Right now outside it's 17 degrees outside with the wind chill at 5...just lovely

KathysLGC
03-09-2005, 11:20 AM
I went to pick up my 5 year old from school and carried him so he wouldn't fall and we both almost fell. LoL It was crazy how fast it turned to ice. Thankfully the snow was light which made shoveling easier. I saw my share of accidents. I really wished i had a pull rope or chain. It was too cold for some people to be stuck.

rodfather
03-09-2005, 11:21 AM
Rod
How many trucks do you put out for plowing?
Mostly for Residential or commercial.

Just 3, mostly residential, about 90 props.

aries
03-09-2005, 11:23 AM
That was the worst one yet, and to make thing's even worst last nite after plowing and salting I was driving me my wife and 10 month old daughter home from my mother in laws which is about 37 miles away from were I live and while driving on rt 80 a car pulls up along side of us beeping his horn so with tinted windows of coarse I could not understand what he wanted, thinking maybe it was someone I knew well 1 mile later BOOM! front tire blow's out at this point their is no shoulder because the plow's have not gotten their yet so I had to drive 3 miles on a RIM to get off the exit into a safe parking lot! So baby's crying wife freaking what else until it was like a Angel came from above :angel: a local police officer pulled into the lot and let me put wife and Baby in his car, as he went on to help me change my tire let me tell this guy was Awesome he got on his back and under the truck to get the jack in the right spot, I couldn't thank him enough I offered to get him something HOT to drink He refused so I took his card and I am sending him a THANKYOU BASKET OF SOME SORT!

Lux Lawn
03-09-2005, 11:24 AM

Same here 3 trucks mostly residential ,3 small parking lots and around 180 driveways.Sounds like a lot but the price's here are not that good.

rodfather
03-09-2005, 11:25 AM
I saw one young woman in her mid 20's or so just staring at her Escalade SUV on it's roof. She was just standing there like she was in a trance or something. I stopped to see if there was anything I could do, but what can you say other than "are you ok"?

aries
03-09-2005, 11:30 AM
I am alway's looking to help someone my wife think's i'm nut's

KathysLGC
03-09-2005, 11:32 AM
I took his card and I am sending him a THANKYOU BASKET OF SOME SORT

That would be a real nice thing to do. They aren't all bad and the good ones should be recognized.

Lux Lawn
03-09-2005, 11:35 AM
Rod
Did Troy get any snow?I see the % hasn't changed or maybe he is still :sleeping: . :)

rodfather
03-09-2005, 11:47 AM
He's been getting a bunch lately...and I'm still giving 5 to 2 odds for next year for him too LOL

lawnguyland
03-09-2005, 02:46 PM
He's been getting a bunch lately...and I'm still giving 5 to 2 odds for next year for him too LOL
Can you really imagine sitting at home in the winter and watching the snow fall and NOT want to go out and make lots of $ in a small amount of time with equipment you already have? Probably keeps employees happy too if you have them (you meaning anyone, not rod in particular, he can't drive 3 trucks at once...or can he???) Granted there is a lot of crappola that goes along and I may cut my route down a bit next year, but I would have kicked myself if I got out of it this year. It would be good to quit snow removal during a year of like 3 storms, but of course as soon as you quit, it's blizzard central.

lawnman_scott
03-09-2005, 02:56 PM
Do you get alot of complaints, people wanting it plowed first? How long does it take to get them done in a good storm?

rodfather
03-09-2005, 03:16 PM
A normal storm we can get everyone done in like 5 or 6 hours. Complaints? Nope, they're history if they complain.

Lux Lawn
03-09-2005, 04:01 PM
A normal storm we can get everyone done in like 5 or 6 hours. Complaints? Nope, they're history if they complain.
Does that mean you drop them during the season or at the end if they are complainers?

rodfather
03-09-2005, 04:03 PM
Does that mean you drop them during the season or at the end if they are complainers?

Right on the spot Larry...especially the housewives. "Get somebody else then!" is my favorite line.

Lux Lawn
03-09-2005, 04:16 PM
We can get through our routes in about 5 hours as well and I think that is pretty good but people sometimes are still not satisfied.Its not like you can camp out in there driveway waiting for the snow to accumulate then plow it.I tell them we try to book our route on a 5 hour schedule I mean most people that work a normal job work 8 hours we are trying to make our money in 5 hours.If I cut it down to 3 hours to get there quicker I would be living in a cardboard box.

rodfather
03-09-2005, 04:28 PM
I'll drop em in a NY minute Larry...i don't give a sh*t.

AL Inc
03-09-2005, 04:59 PM
I'm with you Rod, I couldn't care less if they find someone else. My clients are trained pretty well, not too much bitching.

rodfather
03-09-2005, 05:01 PM
If there's an emergency or something, I'll drop everything and shoot right over...besides that, wait your turn. Period

LawnsRUsInc.
03-09-2005, 05:03 PM
I agree with Al and Rod "they complain they are gone" First storm was supposed to be 2-3" turned out to be 9-11" In one day 2" an hour 48 Residential propertys 23 complaints 14 Commercial Parks 3 complaints the next storm was dead. I told them this is the way it is under these conditions sorry we will see you when we get there.

Jason

AL Inc
03-09-2005, 05:13 PM
During the storm we had on Jan 22/23, It was Saturday into Sunday, and they declared a snow emergency, so unless you were a plow or emergency vehicle, you can't be on the road. It was about 20"-22" of snow, so we worked about 24 hours straight. I couldn't believe I still had a few calling me to see when I would be there. I said to myself, "Where the f are these people GOING?" Sorry, get there when I get there, you'll be clear to go to work Monday...

LawnsRUsInc.
03-09-2005, 05:35 PM
Same deal here iam sorry if some of you guys dont agree with me on this but my commercial customers pay anywhere from $125 to $980 per 1-3" plowing and are full season maint. Now who is going to get the higher priority them or the customer that is $30 and wont sign up for any other additional services? Thats why this upcoming season its all or none full service ONLY.

rodfather
03-09-2005, 06:33 PM
During the storm we had on Jan 22/23, It was Saturday into Sunday, and they declared a snow emergency, so unless you were a plow or emergency vehicle, you can't be on the road. It was about 20"-22" of snow, so we worked about 24 hours straight. I couldn't believe I still had a few calling me to see when I would be there. I said to myself, "Where the f are these people GOING?" Sorry, get there when I get there, you'll be clear to go to work Monday...

Same thing here.

I said to people, "all your gonna be able to do is get to the end of your driveway...then what are you going to do?" That same storm, I had 12 phone calls to my cell with me in my truck within one hour after the snow stopped. On the 12th call while trying to talk and plow, I answered with, "this better be real f***ing important". All I hear is silence and then the line goes dead. I guess they got the hint huh.

BMFD92
03-09-2005, 07:12 PM
I am a firefighter and went to seven different accidents. The snow was wet and hard to plow. I am ready for spring and ready to buy my new mower and start another great year.