PDA

View Full Version : Gas prices and scrubs

PTP
03-09-2005, 12:19 PM
I am starting to think that maybe the high gas prices are a good thing for our industry.

One of our biggest problems is that anyone can pick up a mower from wal-mart, throw it in the back of their truck, and start mowing. I am thinking that if gas hits $3 or higher later on, we will see a lot of poorly run business go out of business and that means a little more for the rest of us.

Just think how little money you could charge if a Z cost you only $200 - everybody would be mowing - but higher prices tend to weed out those who are not as serious or who run a poorly managed business.

What do you think?

grass_cuttin_fool
03-09-2005, 12:30 PM
Im thinking the other way, I think you may see more people trying to make some side $$ to offset the higher prices of fuel and everything else. To a scrub.... If it takes a gallon of gas to mow a yard and he gets $20 then he is still $17 dollars ahead, that is my 2 cents on it

traman
03-09-2005, 12:35 PM
it might be just the opposite, higher fuel prices makes the stuff we buy higher shipping charges are going to go up ,steel prices are already rising ,if home owner is spending 25.00 week in gas for there car and then jumps up to 50.00 a week they my have to cut back on services ,meaning us

Bray
03-09-2005, 12:47 PM
Im thinking the other way, I think you may see more people trying to make some side $$ to offset the higher prices of fuel and everything else. To a scrub.... If it takes a gallon of gas to mow a yard and he gets $20 then he is still $17 dollars ahead, that is my 2 cents on it

I agree. I don't think most will even consider the higher fuel price when bidding a lawn.

Mdirrigation
03-09-2005, 12:49 PM
Traman is closer to correct . As gas rises so does heating oil diesel , products made with plastic , transportation electricity etc. The homeowners discressionary income decreases . This is a prime opportunity for low cost basic crass cutting services to thrive . Mow , blow and go . A toyota , a 36 walk behind and a blower and you are good to go .

PTP
03-09-2005, 02:11 PM
it might be just the opposite, higher fuel prices makes the stuff we buy higher shipping charges are going to go up ,steel prices are already rising ,if home owner is spending 25.00 week in gas for there car and then jumps up to 50.00 a week they my have to cut back on services ,meaning us
You might be right. That will be true for at least some of the customers. But for others, they would continue to pay even if gas goes to $10 a gallon. I think that it is kind of like cable vs dial-up. I pay more for cable and will continue to do so. It is really hard to go backwards and decrease the services that you get.

Littleriver1
03-09-2005, 02:48 PM
I guess this means that those customers that were using services they really couldn't afford before will still use our services but rip us for the money when the bill comes due. Soooo, if you had a slow to pay customer before, now you drop them. That's my plan.