PDA

View Full Version : Propane powered mowers?

Eddie B
03-09-2005, 02:50 PM
Propane powered lawn mowers... anyone heard of them? It appears that Ransomes may have introduced a model, but I can't find it anywhere. Its obvious that they would operate cleaner and quieter, but are there any other advantages? When fuel prices rise would this be a cheaper route in the future?

procut
03-09-2005, 03:11 PM
Wow, thats really interesting, I'd like to see some info. about those as well.

grass_cuttin_fool
03-09-2005, 03:16 PM
I cant remember the exact formula, but when switching a gasoline engine to propane there is approximately 25% power loss. The last time they filled my home propane heating tank there was only about 10 - 15 cents a gallon difference in propane and gasoline

Eddie B
03-09-2005, 03:19 PM
http://www.industrypages.com/artman/publish/Industry_News_2551.stm

This is an article from April 2003... their propane mower is apparently available in the UK, and holds 72 liters of propane, good for 8-9 hours of running.

Eddie B
03-09-2005, 03:20 PM
I cant remember the exact formula, but when switching a gasoline engine to propane there is approximately 25% power loss. The last time they filled my home propane heating tank there was only about 10 - 15 cents a gallon difference in propane and gasoline

I read somewhere that single cylinder engines have less power loss, and usually retain about 90% in a conversion.

captken
03-09-2005, 04:04 PM
I was thinking the same thing when I posted yesterday to the thread about rising gasoline prices, I know about propane conversions for trucks. I wondered if any small engine manufacturer had a propane conversion kits to meet emissions requirments.
The power loss would probably outweigh any fuel savings here.

Precision
03-09-2005, 04:08 PM
you think gasoline prices pogo around, Propane is much worse. Often much cheaper, but often not. And where are you going to convienently fill it?

Eddie B
03-09-2005, 04:16 PM
There is a number of fill stations around here. I'm not familiar with pricing, or if there would be any advantages/disadvantages to using it other than the fact that it burns clean.

procut
03-09-2005, 04:44 PM
I once had a good discussion with a vetran auto teacher about using propane in vechicles. He said that there are many benifts. For example, the school district where he worked expirimented running propane in a few of their busses back in the early to mid 80s. After like 7 years and many miles, they pulled the heads off the bus engines and they looked nearly like new. Also, the oil stayed very clean, even after many miles. He also said expect a mile or two less per gallon when swithing to propane, along with slightly decreased performance. He also said the the biggest reason why propane was never widely used in cars/trucks was because an adaqute distibution system was never developed.

PLM-1
03-09-2005, 04:47 PM
Grasshopper had an LP mower in 2004. Never saw one in use tho. I believe it was a 25hp kohler.

Pumper
03-10-2005, 12:59 AM
There are some guys looking at propane. The problem is the horsepower loss. Propane burns cleaner and helps with the lower emissions standards. A little birdy tells me that an engine manufacturer is working on an engine that will burn propane and still provide 30 hp. There are several modifications. Hopefully, they can finish the testing and make it work.

Itsgottobegreen
03-10-2005, 12:23 PM
Grasshopper had an LP mower in 2004. Never saw one in use tho. I believe it was a 25hp kohler.

I was going to say that. But the LP grasshopper has been around for about 10 years now. I saw one a long time ago working at a high school somewhere in PA.

ltlm
03-10-2005, 12:29 PM
theres a big company out west and all there grasshoppers burn propane. it was in landscape mag 2 years ago ill try to find a copy.

Richard Martin
03-10-2005, 03:54 PM
In my area the only company that widely uses propane in their vehicles is the local propane dealer.