PDA

View Full Version : Mower in pieces due to poor design help?

Bunton Guy
03-09-2005, 02:31 PM
This is for all of you Great Dane owners I have a great dane super surfer 52" with a 18 Vanguard. I got the oil filter off by punching a hole in it with a screw driver and wiggling it off. Now trying to get the oil filter back on is nearly impossible. The hydro pump is in the way....any ideas Great Dane owners?

Bunton Guy
03-09-2005, 03:38 PM
ohh and the Vanguard has a choice between the normal sized filter and a shortie version..I have the shortie but still it wont go on without hitting the hydro pump. Sure you can remove the hydro pump but I sure as **** aint going to do that everytime I change the oil & filter.

LightningLawns
03-09-2005, 04:01 PM
should have bought a wright stander :p

Richard Martin
03-09-2005, 04:11 PM
I can't help you get the filter back on but I can tell you that there are a number of companies that make remote oil filter setups. You only need to cross reference the filter to a automobile application and then get the remote filter for that engine. The Fram filter to fit your engine is PH3416.

Bunton Guy
03-09-2005, 08:44 PM
The 3416 is the oil filter I use in my vanguards but due to the lack of area to fit this filter in I choose to use the OEM filter that was half the height.

As to the wright stander comment..I had one and sold it, after busting up my legs on that nifty bar that looses its foam I was tired of missing skin & hair from hitting bumps.

a+elawnserviceww
03-09-2005, 09:04 PM
hi
i own a 32 inch proline toro and i cloud not get my filter off in-less i put a screw throw the old filter and turn it. in till i found this filter wrench work great on wall-mart filter (super-tech) check it out
BIG-4201
Big Bike Parts oil filter wrench. Fits 2 1/2 inch oil filters. FREE SHIPPING.

Retail Price: $11.95

web site
http://www.hondadirectlineusa.com/stores/product.asp?pid=1449&str=4&ID=692467254 (http://)

locutus
03-09-2005, 09:16 PM
Not trying to add insult to injury here, but just about every forum that I participate in has a multitude of dissatisfied Great Dane owners. How can a company like this be so poorly run? From the top to the bottom, there is not a more perfect example of corporate ineptitude than Great Dane.

Bunton Guy
03-10-2005, 10:25 PM
My model of mower was a product of John Deere...this one was made after deere took it over. Maybe they are trying to run the Dane part of the company into the ground? This engine I have on the mower is not very common but thats no excuse. Its not an object of having no leverage its a problem with the filter actually touches the hydro pump...literally the filter backs right up to the housing of the pump.

Norm Al
03-10-2005, 10:29 PM
take the motor off,,,,put the filter on,,,,then put the motor back on!

txlawnking
03-10-2005, 10:30 PM
Loosen the mounting bolts for the pump, and see if you can scoot the pump over just a tad.. On mine I had the 22hp Kohler, the long filter was no bueno.. I bet you really love that piece of crap valve deal to drain the oil too, don't ya? On mine I would remove the back cover just to change the oil.. It made the job a lot less miserable.

lawnman_scott
03-10-2005, 10:45 PM
Not trying to add insult to injury here, but just about every forum that I participate in has a multitude of dissatisfied Great Dane owners. How can a company like this be so poorly run? From the top to the bottom, there is not a more perfect example of corporate ineptitude than Great Dane.
I couldnt agree more. Its almost as if they made a bet to see how long they could stay in business doing everything wrong.

dkeisala
03-10-2005, 10:51 PM
Another LCO was doing a lawn next to a client I was servicing today. They were using a Super Surfer and the mower was whinning and wheezing through the whole yard. All kinds of odd noises coming from the thing. The engine was running as if on full choke and an awful grinding noise came from it when the blades where engaged.

Classic
03-10-2005, 11:00 PM
Actually a VERY satisfied Great Dane customer here!

I have a Super Surfer and am considering trading it in for the brand new 2005 Super Surfer that I saw at my dealer's open house.

I have had no problems changing the oil/filters on mine but I have a Kawasaki engine. Have you tried asking your dealer for advice? My local dealer is awesome!

I think that John Deere has made a world of difference with the Great Dane mowers!!

Envy Lawn Service
03-11-2005, 02:27 AM
Great Dane needs to install an engine on your Super Surfer that will work properly for that application or give you a refund.

PLAIN & SIMPLE.... NO QUESTIONS ASKED!