PDA

View Full Version : Stihl trimmers and handheld blowers

vball2116
03-09-2005, 05:48 PM
Hey everyone I have a question about some Stihl trimmers and handheld blowers. The products i am currently interested in are the BG 55 handheld blower and the FS 55 RC trimmer. I was wondering what the difference was between the FS 55 RC and the FS 80 R trimmer besides the power. Is it worth it to to upgrade to the FS 80 R trimmer because the prize is 70 bucks more so is it worth it in the long run? I only do a few lawns so is it really worth it to make that upgrade. I mean im only 16 so is that upgrade going to pay off because money is tight. Also, the only reason why i want the handheld blower is im only blowing off sidewalks and driveways. I would appreciate any help you can give me.

Thanks,
Jeff

grass_cuttin_fool
03-09-2005, 05:51 PM
The fs 55 is more of a home owner model, where as the fs 80 is a commercial trimmer. I have a fs55 and it does very good and is holding up good. I havent used any of the stihl handheld blowers

vball2116
03-09-2005, 05:55 PM
Hey Thanks for the info..ill have to also ask the dealer what he recommends but thanks for the information.

Classic
03-09-2005, 07:53 PM
I wouldn't use Stihl's Homescaper units commercially if I were you!

I have had some major starting problems with Stihl equipment over the past couple of years as well.

You might want to give Red Max a try??

Mo Green
03-09-2005, 08:15 PM
Pay the extra $$$$ for the commercial grade equipment. You won't regret it.

Lawn Dog2001
03-09-2005, 08:39 PM
Hey everyone I have a question about some Stihl trimmers and handheld blowers. The products i am currently interested in are the BG 55 handheld blower and the FS 55 RC trimmer. I was wondering what the difference was between the FS 55 RC and the FS 80 R trimmer besides the power. Is it worth it to to upgrade to the FS 80 R trimmer because the prize is 70 bucks more so is it worth it in the long run? I only do a few lawns so is it really worth it to make that upgrade. I mean im only 16 so is that upgrade going to pay off because money is tight. Also, the only reason why i want the handheld blower is im only blowing off sidewalks and driveways. I would appreciate any help you can give me.

Thanks,
Jeff

I have a Stihl FS55 and a Stihl FS 85 trimmer. They are both great trimmers. As others have said, the 55 is really more of a homeowners unit. You will be much happier with the FS80. The only huge difference between the two is power. But it is a HUGE difference. its definately worth the extra $70

I also have Stihl 55 and 85 handheld blowers. The 85 I bought is also a vacum, and it has tons of power for a handheld blower. The 55 does not have nearly the power, but it has not given me any troubles. Any of the Stihl blowers are great units. I would get the 85 because the difference in price between their different handheld blower models is not that great. Its worth it to me anyways.

vball2116
03-10-2005, 04:10 PM
Hey guys thanks for the info. I am liking the FS 80 now compared to the homeowners unit. But I still think i will stick with the BG 55 just because i dont need a blower that much just to clean off driveways and sidewalks.

Thanks,
Jeff

Travis Followell
03-10-2005, 05:42 PM
I'd say spend the extra $ and get the FS 80. We have a FS 55 that has been a great trimmer. We have had it for about 4 years and it has been run hard for extended periods of time and its been an excellent trimmer even though its a homeowner machine. It still runs good now with a new carburetor and throttle cable but the gear box that drives the head is shot and it would cost more than the trimmer is worth. We also have 2 FS 85's that are wore out but have held up great considering how much they have been used. They have the same engine as the FS 80.