PDA

View Full Version : Drill bits

packerbacker
03-09-2005, 05:55 PM
Can someone reccomend what kind of drill bit to use to drill holes through tempered steel. Im reattaching my trimmer rack to a different location and Ive gone through 4 metal bits already.

traman
03-09-2005, 06:05 PM
carbine tip and a good hammer drill also titanium

vipermanz
03-09-2005, 06:08 PM
you are probably going to use another 6 bits... get a cobalt or carbide bit and go slooooooow, use some oil or wd40 to lube the hole

Hacksquat
03-09-2005, 06:08 PM
I used a titanium drill bit. Held up fine.

packerbacker
03-09-2005, 06:10 PM
thanks guys, im running up to HD to pick some up. Gotta get the trailer ready for work tommorow. First full day out, gotta be ready to go.

KathysLGC
03-09-2005, 08:26 PM
I agree with going slow and using oil. Heat will tear up the bit. I've used HD's Blu Mol brand metal bits and there fine. They cost about $7-8 but worth it.
I usually get a small cup or bottle cap and put some motor oil in it then dip the drill bit in.

FrankLandscaping
03-09-2005, 08:31 PM
Those Bad Dog bits that we picked up at the KY expo are great. Very fast through steel and other hard metals compared to others.

Frank

packerbacker
03-09-2005, 08:38 PM
I picked up a Bosch Titanium bit and used a reg drill but it wasnt good enough. I then went back to Home Depot and grabbed a drill for my compressor and Im wizzing right through it.

tonygreek
03-09-2005, 08:45 PM
this is one of my favorite add-on tools for my drills. it's helped cut down on broken bits if you have the need to drill steel much.

http://www.pressurehandle.com/

packerbacker
03-09-2005, 08:49 PM
thats a helluvan idea

FL&G
03-09-2005, 09:31 PM
If you have burned up a few bits you probably hardened that area because of the heat. A carbide tipped bit is your best bet. If you still have trouble and cant relocate the holes, put a blow torch on the rail and heat it up till it turns red. Then let it cool slowly. That should anneal the area and make it easy to drill. Slow R.P.M. and a heavy feed. Dont let the drill burn.

MMLawn
03-09-2005, 09:36 PM
I found after trial and error that what works well for me is to use a small bit and get a starter hole all the way through and then use the bit size I want for the main hole all using one of my air drills and keeping it oiled with WD40.

KathysLGC
03-10-2005, 08:32 AM
Those bosch bits are ok but not that great for metal. Try the Blu Mol. They are made for metal and come in carbide or cobalt. I use the 5/8 and 3/4 bit.

Jay Ray
03-10-2005, 09:12 AM
DeWalt makes a titanium bit that has a very short pilot drill on the point but it is flat like an end mill on the full diameter. Cuts good and doesn't pull through so bad when you break through the hole. I'm sure other manufacturers have pretty much the same thing, just happened to see DeWalt. The down side is that when it gets dull I sharpen it to a regular drill bit point and that is a lot of grinding.

Jay Ray
03-10-2005, 09:16 AM
Should have added that if there is a chance the bit, any bit, might hit something like a belt when it breaks through, use a piece of tubing or something as a sleeve on the bit to stop it from pulling.