PDA

View Full Version : Safety Glasses not sun glasses

hortboy
03-09-2005, 08:06 PM
well in NY we're getting ready for the spring if it will ever get here. My question is: I'd like to provide my employees w/ safety glasses that will double as sun glasses. Keep in mind they need to be cost effective and yet comfortable and stylish enough for them to wear and not decorate the dash board w/. What do you guys suggest? Brands/styles? And where to get them?

Mo Green
03-09-2005, 08:14 PM
I bought a pair of nice looking sunglasses/safetyglasses from Lowe's. I think there were in the $15 - $20 range. Real nice.

Turfdude
03-09-2005, 08:38 PM
Get a catalogue from Direct Safety. We get smoke grey & clear and put one pair of each per truck. I believe we get elvex or similar and their "stylish" and cost effective at under $5/pair. They are a wrap around style, but this company has lots to choose from. We also have their Howard Leight plug depot & laser light ear plugs.

bushtrimmer
03-09-2005, 08:39 PM
My foreman got a case of them @ Sam's, I think they were like $6 each, look kinda like Oakleys

Jerry and Sons
03-09-2005, 10:07 PM
Got mine at home depot. they look like oakleys but are osha approved. 14 bucks.

JB1
03-09-2005, 10:23 PM
Check your local welding supply house , they should have some.

david
03-09-2005, 10:44 PM
I get most of my safety equipment from Direct Safety. Great selection and prices. directsafety.com

Eddie B
03-09-2005, 11:34 PM
My local dealer throws me some free Echo safety sun glasses every time I buy something... they retail for $15-20 I think.

Jason Rose
03-09-2005, 11:45 PM
I wear prescription specs, it sux... I can't wear sunglasses or safety glasses unless I don't mind getting a headache from everything being slightly fuzzy. Anyone else with this affliction? have you found any good "over the top of glasses type safety glasses"? I think sunglasses are a good idea, saves the eyes for later in life, and saftey type are nice when trimming and such.

dhess
03-10-2005, 12:03 AM
decided to try something new this year and picked up a couple pair of these at Home Depot for like $20 apiece. It was also part of x-mas present to the guys...

I was hoping if I got a little *higher* end glasses they might be a little more careful with them...

I got the grey lens with grey frames instead though (can't find a picture)...

http://media.msanet.com/NA/USA/MSASafetyWorks/EyeProtection/SafetyGlasses/SportsSeriesSafetyGlasses/Sport-Series-Blue-Lens-Silv.jpg

made by MSA safety works (sports series) I believe. They have a good fit on your head or on your cap or hat if you need to take them off and put them somewhere.

So far I'm into using them 3 months now and I like them so far. I'm really good about keeping a pair for almost a whole year usually so we'll see how it goes come summer time.

mtdman
03-10-2005, 01:29 AM
My dealer sells stihl sunglasses that are shatter proof and double as safety glasses. That's what I have used for the past 5 years or so. Work for me. I think they are less than $10 a pair.

stevo22
03-10-2005, 01:47 AM
i bought 3 prs from galeton's...very inexpensive...i think i pd $2.70-$3.70 pr...if i remember correctly...might have been $4.70...very stylish...i got the talladega style...

TClawn
03-10-2005, 02:32 AM
I have a pair of safty/sunglasses from home depot. look good and are osha approved. I think there about $14.

KINGjosh
03-10-2005, 02:47 AM
Go to www.cintas.com and request a Safety catalog. They have like 20 pairs of sun glasses that are safety as well. Very stylish. Very cheap as well. They range from 2-6 bucks .I bought 35 pairs. I lose them alot.

LawnScapers of Dayton
03-10-2005, 06:50 AM
safetyglasses.com

Precision
03-10-2005, 11:46 AM
My plan is providing ear plugs (the gel corded ones) and safety sun glasses to each worker. I provide one pair of plugs per week. Less than $2.00. 1 pair of glasses per quarter. Less than $10. Lose them or come without them then you have to buy a pair (at cost) Payroll deduct. Work without them and get fired.

I had an OSHA rep stop me twice last year. Don't know how I got so lucky. But being solo at the time and not wanting to be blind or deaf I was covered.

The girl told me that so long as I have a policy in place and have the guys sign a form stating that they have to wear protective gear and have a documented discipline process and use it, then I am covered for the occasional employee stupidity. Sure hope so.

moremowing4me
03-10-2005, 11:50 AM
try this place (http://store.contractorbargains.com)

real reasonable and several different styles to chose from

Darryl G
03-10-2005, 12:52 PM
I had an OSHA rep stop me twice last year. Don't know how I got so lucky. But being solo at the time and not wanting to be blind or deaf I was covered.

OSHA had no jurisdiction over you if you were solo. If they paid a visit to me, I would be sure to tell them that.

Darryl G
03-10-2005, 12:55 PM
Got mine at home depot. they look like oakleys but are osha approved. 14 bucks.

Unless things have changed recently, OSHA does not approve personal protective equipment. Did you mean ANSI?

MarcSmith
03-10-2005, 01:13 PM
OSHA does not approve safety equipment, but they can "suggest" that you wear it....

I use ear Taper Fit 2 #312-1223 40 bucks for 200 pair
and for glasses

willson 3pa45 as seen on grainger.com. 3.89 a pair smoke or clear.... with tethers

MarcSmith
03-10-2005, 01:55 PM
On a side note....I personally used polarized Oakley Frogskins

Oakley premium eyewear surpasses the protection requirements for high-mass impact, as defined by The American National Standards Institute (ANSI). Part of an industrial standard called ANSI Z87.1, the high-mass impact test requires that the lens be hit by a 500-gram metal spike (over a pound of weight) dropped from a height of 51.2 inches (over four feet). To pass the test, no frame parts or lens fragments that could damage the eye may be ejected during impact.

Oakley premium eyewear also surpasses the ANSI Z87.1 test for high-velocity impact protection. For this test, a pneumatic cannon accelerates a quarter-inch steel shot to 102 miles per hour. The lens is targeted straight on from three different heights, and at seven different angles. To pass the high-velocity test, no contact between the lens and eye is permitted during impact. In addition, no frame parts or lens fragments that could damage the eye may be ejected during impact.

yeah having to fork over 120 bucks for glasses seems insane. I get a newpair of glasses each year. 10 bucks month, small price to pay...

I'm not suggestiong that you go out buy your employee's 80-100 dollar glasses, but if you have good reliable help give them the option, let them know that you'll spend good money on a one good pair of glasses a year versus little money on a bunch of the cheaper ones... Just an Idea.....

Fantasy Lawns
03-10-2005, 02:07 PM
It's a no brainer ==> eBay

MarcSmith
03-10-2005, 02:24 PM
Before you shop on ebay...please do a price search with regular online retailers....I am not knocking ebay, but people see ebay as the best place and best prices, and it's not always the case....returns can be a royal PITA as well. Ebay does little to nothing to help you out in case of seller fraud...I spent $80 on a home theater remote control, never got it, the guy who sold it bailed. ebay refunded me $80 but first they took $25 in fees...so I ended up going to an online reatiler and buing it new for the same price. and I'm still out $25....Just be careful....Remember the 'net is a tool to be used, but use it wisely and carefully....

bbritt
03-10-2005, 02:27 PM
well in NY we're getting ready for the spring if it will ever get here. My question is: I'd like to provide my employees w/ safety glasses that will double as sun glasses. Keep in mind they need to be cost effective and yet comfortable and stylish enough for them to wear and not decorate the dash board w/. What do you guys suggest? Brands/styles? And where to get them?
i went to united rentals.payed about 7 bucks for black frames yellow lensesand also brightens the day up a little bit wearin them if you have a united rentals.real cheap

Pilgrims' Pride
03-10-2005, 03:18 PM
My trouble is good FOG PROOF glasses.
I seem to run a bit warm and on a humid day I can't see through anything!

Fantasy Lawns
03-10-2005, 03:20 PM
I hear ya Marc .... one has to be careful n do research .... I buy 60% of my needs on eBay .... I just had an issue we some tires for my truck ... guy had all the talk just never sent em .... I don't buy without Pay Pal n confirmed sellers ... this guy had all the good stuff ....of the $180 spent I got $176 back from Pay Pal ....but out of over 600 buys on eBay this was my 2nd bad event in 5 years

I just got a "new" Shin EB630 back back from a guy I buy from all the time in FL ....can't have more than 20 hours on it .... got it in 2 days for $320 delivered

10 Gallons of Razor (generic RU at 43%) delivered for $120

12 Kohler oil filters .... at door $36

New 25 (2) cycle plugs .... at door for $16

1999 Dakota R/T Loaded with 38K miles $10,500

On n On n On

fga
03-10-2005, 03:22 PM
you can usaully get Radians on ebay pretty cheap...

just typed it in ebay to give you a link. there are so many dirt cheap, there r 2 many links. type in Radians on ebay and take your pic. some come with ear protection, others are the straight forward eye safety.