PDA

View Full Version : Finding a foreman

Lawnworks
03-09-2005, 08:12 PM
I have decided to have add a foreman to take over my crew. I do 95% maintenance. I am thinking of paying someone 10-12 dollars an hour or possibly 8 dollars and a bonus depending on how productive they are. But my real question is, from your experiences what is the best way of finding a foreman? Newspaper ad? any other ideas?

Guthrie&Co
03-09-2005, 08:15 PM
your going to pay a foreman that? good luck finding someone to work for that cheap. especially a foreman.

bushtrimmer
03-09-2005, 08:32 PM
i don't know what part of country ur from but around these parts, that's laborer pay rate

Lawnworks
03-09-2005, 08:33 PM
I believe that is the going rate here. I know of several companies that pay their foremen 9-12 dollars an hour. By foreman, I mean drive the truck and do mostly mowing accounts.

TLM
03-09-2005, 09:12 PM
I offered $13hr with NO calls
I tried collage newspaper/web site
My friend went to firestations and talked to the guys and he hired two firemen. One works two days and the other works the other three.
I might try it....

ksland
03-09-2005, 09:16 PM
Not enough dough dude, Not nowaday. I think you need to start with $14 and go from there.

o-so-n-so
03-09-2005, 09:33 PM
Good luck...................I would like to find a good worker (period) at that rate. Labor is a major pain for me. The one I have now has 1. Bent the front edge on my tractor bucket. :realmad: 2. Bent the back side of my loader bucket. :angry: 3. Lost a pin and digger of my boxblade. :dizzy: 4. Broke the steering cylinder on my tractor. :cry: 5. Today...the transmission on my F-350 went out while he was driving it. Empty. :mad:

I just laugh to keep from crying. :D

Guthrie&Co
03-09-2005, 09:52 PM
Good luck...................I would like to find a good worker (period) at that rate. Labor is a major pain for me. The one I have now has 1. Bent the front edge on my tractor bucket. :realmad: 2. Bent the back side of my loader bucket. :angry: 3. Lost a pin and digger of my boxblade. :dizzy: 4. Broke the steering cylinder on my tractor. :cry: 5. Today...the transmission on my F-350 went out while he was driving it. Empty. :mad:

I just laugh to keep from crying. :D
well the bucket would be an easy fix if you have a torch. just heat it red hot and beat it back into shape

RLS2005
03-09-2005, 09:53 PM
I am currently a foreman in PA, it might be different where you are from, but I know that I wouldnt do it for anything close to what you are looking to pay. I wouldnt accept less than $15.00/hr with really nice bonuses throughout the year. I would be careful of people that would take less money b/c you are putting alot of trust in them. Your foreman can control how much profit you can make by how fast he can do lawns. Thats why my advice is pay someone what they are worth, thats why paying top $ is required for a foreman b/c if he doesnt deserve top $ then he shouldnt be a foreman. Just my 2 cents....

Ron

rodfather
03-09-2005, 10:38 PM
The two I have currently make $20/hour and I pay 1/2 their major medical year round...they get a raise this year to $22.50

MacLawnCo
03-09-2005, 10:56 PM
first of all, i believe that you are talking about a crew leader and not a foreman. Second, youre pay is terrible. BTW, why are you not hiring(promoting) from within?

Guthrie&Co
03-10-2005, 12:15 AM
one thing is for sure. you pay for what you get. and that applies to paying employees. i have a client that runs a construction bussiness and he pays his employees very well. for the most part he has had the same guys for 20 plus years. and he goes fishing all the time. he gets his work done and he has extremly dependable people working for him.

MidAtlantic
03-10-2005, 12:29 AM
The big Lawn maintenance companies around here pay crewman $7-9/hr and crew leaders/drivers are paid $10-13/hr. Labor force is about 95% hispanic around here and 5% other...Most the $15/hr positions are for operations, quality control or skilled workers like paver/brick installers or stone masons.

Every crewman wants or says he was a foreman/crew leader. Just cause they drive the truck for a previous company doesn't mean they know how to produce. These days you have to stay on top quality control and production cause most guys will milk the clock whenever they get the chance.

Go place an employment ad with some of your local colleges. You will have to train them from scratch but they will speak english and are quick learners...Or do what all the other companies are going and go recruit other companies crew leaders by approaching them on the job and give them your card. I don't agree with that method but I know all the companies are hurting for more quality guys.

Groundcover Solutions
03-10-2005, 02:01 AM
This is how the larger landscapers and Maint. co's pay and run their operations in my area.

general laborer (landscaping or maint.) Hourly employee @ 9-10 per hour
Crew Leader (maint. drives, keeps laborers in order and on task) hourly employee @ 10-15 per hour
Foreman (landscaping) Oversees crew on landscaping sites Hourly employee @ 10-15 per hour
Project Manager (landscaping/maint.) oversees multiple sites Salaried employee
Operations Manager (landscaping/maint.) oversees all project managers and subs Salaried Employee

Lawnworks
03-10-2005, 09:33 AM
Well first of all I appreciate all of your replies, apparently I am looking for a crew leader rather than a foreman. I think the pay is fair for this part of the country. For alot of you guys the cost of living is outrageous. For us, in Macon, GA it is not. It was ranked as one of the third most undervalued housing markets in the country. So I think that might explain why the pay is cheaper. Down here laborers get $7-8 and crew leaders get $9-13. I don' think the pay should start at $15, but I believe one day I would be willing to pay that if they are that productive.

One of you guys asked why I was not hiring within. Well, up till now I have been using a Mexican labor force, so they are harder to turn into crew leaders.