PDA

View Full Version : No directions...HUH?

tinman
03-09-2005, 09:52 PM
Guy called today about lawn service. Said he had a flier of mine. I say ok , where are you at. He say the town & subdivision name. I know the area but not sure exactly & ask for directions. He says, "you put the flier out, you don't know where I am"? I say I have put out a lot of fliers & just need to know the exact location to give a price. He says again, "you don't know where XXXXX subdivision is"?. Again I say no & he says uuuumm just nevermind & hangs up.
What kind of moron does not take a few seconds to tell me where his property is?? And no it was not a prank caller I do not believe. Good thing this jerk weeded himself out for me early on in the process.

Mo Green
03-09-2005, 09:54 PM
Consider yourself lucky that this relationship did not go any further. Sounds like a true PITA.

stumper1620
03-09-2005, 10:05 PM
I had a real jerk like that last year, called for stumps & wanted est.
I told him i was real busy but would try to get there that night around 8 or soon after, I called him while i was on the way and let him know i would be there about 8:45, he just got all bent and says well i got a friend that will do it. I says ok fine why did ya bother me for then I just hit the end call button.
I really have'nt decided if he just was trying to find out what to pay his "friend" or if he was being a ass. I kinda think the stumps are still there because he got my number from a 2 year old flyer I left when I saw he had a bout a dozen stumps. I really don't consider him a great loss.

Jason Rose
03-09-2005, 10:08 PM
I don't ask anyone for directions anymore, unless I am where I really need them to get somewhere right now. If you have time to look it up on your computer do that. Saves a lot of confusion and trying to write it down or remember. Or getting directions like "well, take a left at where the old mill used to be..." Now if he wouldn't actually give you his address, then I'd say he's a little nuts... I had one of those last fall. wanted an estimate for a leaf clean-up but just wanted if over the phone. I asked their address, since there is no way to give an estimate over the phone and she refused to give me the address! Said she just needed a ballpark figure for a clean-up. I told her that when she decided where she lived to give me a call then. Gahhh, some people...

stumper1620
03-09-2005, 10:17 PM
I don't ask anyone for directions anymore, unless I am where I really need them to get somewhere right now. If you have time to look it up on your computer do that. Saves a lot of confusion and trying to write it down or remember. Or getting directions like "well, take a left at where the old mill used to be..." Now if he wouldn't actually give you his address, then I'd say he's a little nuts... I had one of those last fall. wanted an estimate for a leaf clean-up but just wanted if over the phone. I asked their address, since there is no way to give an estimate over the phone and she refused to give me the address! Said she just needed a ballpark figure for a clean-up. I told her that when she decided where she lived to give me a call then. Gahhh, some people...
I hear ya. thats what I do too.
map quest is great. :D

Darryl G
03-09-2005, 10:21 PM
Keep in mind it could be the competion calling......

ChadA
03-09-2005, 10:39 PM
Consider yourself lucky that this relationship did not go any further. Sounds like a true PITA.

I agree. If he's already a PITA just imagine working for that prick, no thanks.

jpmako
03-10-2005, 08:12 AM
I had a lady that was a friend of client call me about 10 years ago for Snow Plowing. I told her over the phone that I needed to get the street address to give her an accurate estimate. She tells me NO I can't tell you where I live ;)
I was like wow well I cant give give you an estimate then. After about 2-3 mins of arguing with her about giving an estimate without seeing it she finally gives in. I have been doing her driveway ever since. It is just funny how some people are. I think that she was scared of me or something.

Jason

FrankenScagMachines
03-10-2005, 09:24 AM
I have people call often wanting an estimate over the phone- no way not unless its a property I pass often and recognize and I can picture it all in my head, even then I'd rather look at it in person.

There is this one customer of mine, little old lady, doesn't have much money, and she has always been kinda goofy about making sure I don't give her phone number to just anyone. I have asked her once or twice about using her as a reference and if that would be ok, and she acted kinda goofy about it. She was like well give them phone number but no name, or I'll call them so they don't have to have my number. She doesn't live in the nicest neighborhood and I think she's afraid someone may bother her. She also doesn't realize caller ID would kinda make her calling the potential customer a useless pursuit, but I assured her that she would not receive any calls or visits from any potential customers. I then just kinda didn't ask to use her as reference again because I didn't want her bothered worrying about it.

The C Man
03-10-2005, 01:08 PM
I had a lady call me about 10 years ago for Snow Plowing. I told her over the phone that I needed to get the street address to give her an accurate estimate. She tells me NO I can't tell you where I live

WTF?!? Then how did she expext you to plow her driveway? People are nuts.

Tvov
03-10-2005, 01:28 PM
Said she just needed a ballpark figure for a clean-up. ...

Sure, from $35 to $2000 and up. I love "ballpark" figures.

jpmako
03-10-2005, 01:28 PM
WTF?!? Then how did she expext you to plow her driveway? People are nuts.

Thats like what I said to her!
My guess is she is afraid of people.
Her husband seems a little strange too...
Oh well they pay good and don't complain.

Jason

Carolina Cutter
03-10-2005, 03:57 PM
Sounds like the competition wanted to mess with ya a little.....LOL

Precision
03-10-2005, 04:22 PM
Yeah I am also thinking that was the competition that knows your work is better than their work.

I had a guy do that last year from my ad in the local paper. He forgot to block his # when he called and he got kinda nasty. I smelled a skunk and called back a few hours later from a pay phone. He answered with his company name.

Boy did I make him feel like a fool. but to his credit he did apologize.

bobbygedd
03-10-2005, 04:42 PM
*69- "YOU SUCK" click

Soupy
03-10-2005, 04:50 PM
Guy called today about lawn service. Said he had a flier of mine. I say ok , where are you at. He say the town & subdivision name. I know the area but not sure exactly & ask for directions. He says, "you put the flier out, you don't know where I am"? I say I have put out a lot of fliers & just need to know the exact location to give a price. He says again, "you don't know where XXXXX subdivision is"?. Again I say no & he says uuuumm just nevermind & hangs up.
What kind of moron does not take a few seconds to tell me where his property is?? And no it was not a prank caller I do not believe. Good thing this jerk weeded himself out for me early on in the process.
This guy might have thought you were a small timer if you don't know were his neighborhood is. I guess it all depends on how big the city you live in is. He might have thought you had customers in his neighborhood too. Some people like local guys. Like I said, it depends on the size of your area.

I never ask for directions. I have a book/map with about 30 pages that covers my area. If possible I use the computer too, but most of the time I know were the street is.

gogetter
03-10-2005, 07:12 PM
I never ask for directions. I have a book/map

Ditto! As a matter of fact, I don't like when people try to give me directions, because they usually suck at it.

I just get the address and tell them when I'll be there. They ask "Don't you need directions?", "Nope, I got a map, see ya in a half hour".

The map sits right next to the phone.

Cut
03-10-2005, 07:26 PM
And there is always mapquest!

Lawn Dog2001
03-10-2005, 07:40 PM
Good thing this jerk weeded himself out for me early on in the process.

You said it yourself. You should call him back to thank him for all the headaches you saved this year for, not having to deal with someone like this.

Lawn Wolf
03-10-2005, 07:42 PM
Yes. It's cool if the potential customer agrees to give you the address. what good is a Map or Mapquest if they don't want to give you the addy. Also the other person saying you don't know where I'm at after you passed out the flyer. It's like we write down every address to each house we leave the flyer on. It would take me a year to write down every addy for each flyer I hand out , let alone to remember and Identify which one of the customer called to match that address. Yeah, I say someone is F*****G with you....

old dog
03-10-2005, 07:52 PM
Just say "as a part of prequalifying you as a client I will need to record your address
and phone number so I can give you a fair quote." Maybe the guy just moved into the area and was too embarrassed to say he really did not know where he lived!
I carry local county and city maps in the truck,but they gotta be updated to get addresses of new developments.

Mo Green
03-10-2005, 07:55 PM
I always keep a map in my truck. It's an invaluable resource.

derek1
03-10-2005, 08:21 PM

Don't worry about this one, this guy was a clown from jump. Just be glad that you will not be dealing with this person.

tinman
03-10-2005, 09:06 PM
And there is always mapquest!
I use the address search sites, but some do not show up. Does mapquest show the newest addresses everytime?

Norm Al
03-10-2005, 10:20 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v620/Deasy19/bazmonkeyavatar.gif

derek1
03-11-2005, 04:26 PM
I use the address search sites, but some do not show up. Does mapquest show the newest addresses everytime?

Mapquest is good another site you might want to check out is RandMcNally they have some pretty good up to date info.

Soupy
03-11-2005, 04:52 PM
Mapquest is cool, because they also give you the last 4 digits of a Zip-code. I like having the full Zip.

lpwhandyman
03-11-2005, 05:29 PM
This guy might have thought you were a small timer if you don't know were his neighborhood is. I guess it all depends on how big the city you live in is. He might have thought you had customers in his neighborhood too. Some people like local guys. Like I said, it depends on the size of your area.

I never ask for directions. I have a book/map with about 30 pages that covers my area. If possible I use the computer too, but most of the time I know were the street is.

I'm looking for detailed maps of my area. Anyone happen to know where to order these? A website addy maybe? Thanks We have a lot of rural addresses and I still have to ask for directions when they're in the booneeeez. And yes, sometimes I hear turn at the second dirt road...haha

lpwhandyman
03-11-2005, 05:33 PM
Ditto! As a matter of fact, I don't like when people try to give me directions, because they usually suck at it.

I just get the address and tell them when I'll be there. They ask "Don't you need directions?", "Nope, I got a map, see ya in a half hour".

The map sits right next to the phone.

I hear ya about people not being able to give good directions to their house. I often have to tell them, I've never been to their house before. When I used to be in sales....I had a sales boundary that I had to stay in....It was divided by Interstate 80. If I knew they were close I'd ask them if they were North or South of the interstate. 9 out of 10 were stumped and couldn't tell me.

stumper1620
03-11-2005, 08:22 PM
I'm looking for detailed maps of my area. Anyone happen to know where to order these? A website addy maybe? Thanks We have a lot of rural addresses and I still have to ask for directions when they're in the booneeeez. And yes, sometimes I hear turn at the second dirt road...haha
go to the county clerk, they have great detail maps.

Darryl G
03-11-2005, 08:29 PM

I use Delorme Street Atlas USA on both my laptop and office computer. I also have a GPS unit for the laptop but don't use it often. Comes in handy when I need it though. You can get Delorme at Staples or about any computer software place. I buy most software at PC Connection. Not the lowest price, but lightning fast shipping and great service if you need it.

chines63
03-11-2005, 09:06 PM
Go to yellow and white page directory and do a reverse number look-up. It will tell you his address. You have to have enter his phone number.

chines63
03-11-2005, 09:07 PM
Go to yellow and white page directory and do a reverse number look-up. It will tell you his address. You have to have enter his phone number.
Info space is the correct address to find out his address.

stumper1620
03-11-2005, 09:08 PM
yup, I do that too.
I have people give me addresses & directions, can't understand anything and just give up and do the rev. look up.

Soupy
03-11-2005, 11:53 PM

I use a Street guide in the truck that can be found at most quick shops, or just about anywhere maps are sold. the one I use is called Wunnenberg's Street Guide. It covers my county (80 pages) and cost $10.95. I think this brand is made just for my area though. Basically you look up the name of the street in the back and it gives you a page number and then a code to find the area on that page (like R47) you would find "R" at the top and "47" on the left and that will put you in the area. They are very easy to read.

You might find something for your area here. http://www.mapsco.com/

Here is a scan of what the pages look like.

Patrick.B
03-12-2005, 12:32 AM
Had that happen to me once last year ,,guy call me and said Yea im calling you got a flyer on my street and wanna to know if you could come by and give me a est....i said sure ..where you live ?...jeeez,,,,,hes like ..well helll pal ..you don't remember the street i live on ???? i said SIR ..i got alot of flyers out and hard to remember all the street name right off hand ,,,he said well how about you sit for a while and figure it out and come over when you remember the street ,,,i said okay ,,,what the numbers of your street ?? hes said well pal...i don't need a lawn service that don't remember the street name ...mmmm okay ,,,i saiid ,,,have a nice day sir ,,,,,

Cut
03-14-2005, 08:25 AM
Info space is the correct address to find out his address.

All that work just to get that idiots account? If they dont want to give address, then say "fine I'll be there in minutes" and hang up.

But if they give an address, then look it up on mapquest, At least it should give a street, then you can find the number from there.

Soupy
03-14-2005, 06:46 PM
All that work just to get that idiots account? If they dont want to give address, then say "fine I'll be there in minutes" and hang up.

But if they give an address, then look it up on mapquest, At least it should give a street, then you can find the number from there.

I agree, but there are instances were the reverse lookup does come in handy. Like if you can't read your own hand writing :). The only problem is it doesn't work on unlisted numbers.