PDA

View Full Version : Gravely 250Z - $3500 fair price?

Gravely Pro 10
03-09-2005, 11:40 PM
Not sure if this is the right forum, but i have been looking for a used Gravely 44/144/148Z and even some of the 200 series ZTR's to use for my home that sits on a few acres. i came across a 250Z with 500 hrs on it, 23hp Kawasaki, hydraulic deck lift, etc. they are asking $3500... i was wondering if this is a good price or not? i'm not sure what may have been replaced on it (hydro pumps etc), and can anyone work on these machines or does it need to be a Gravely dealer? i don't have one close by...

thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Travis Followell
03-10-2005, 06:45 AM
I'd say $3000 would be a fair price for the machine. Any repair shop would be able to repair the machine, not just a Gravely dealer.

Precision
03-10-2005, 11:49 AM
Maybe its and older unit, but shouldn't that be a 252Z.

Personally I think the 2 series is a little bit of overkill for personal equipment, but never one to criticize over purchasing cause I always do too.

My 260Z is great, but I am finding that my dealer is a moron.

Gravely Pro 10
03-10-2005, 07:12 PM
so should i have any concerns with a machine that has 500 hrs on it? what are the things that usually get replaced? pumps? how costly?

i talked to the guy today and he said he had a new set of blades to go on it. he also said he would do $3000 so i think that might be my best bet unless there are some known issues. even for a slightly used 44Z, i'm looking at more like $3500 and up--which my wife is already not too keen on spending that much. i just am tired of spending half of my saturday each week cutting the grass with my 2 wheel tractor!

Precision
03-10-2005, 08:17 PM
500 hours on a commercial piece of equipment is nothing, so long as it has been maintained properly. That is a big if. Check the air filter, oil, grease some of the grease joints. If the air filter is filthy, beware. If it is brand new, run. Same with the oil. If it looks really dirty, be wary. If is is fresh, then that is probably the only change it has ever had. Pump some grease into the zerk fittings. If you pump away before finally getting overflow, you know he never lubed them. If it is one pump and full, then you know he just filled them for the first time.

Aside from taking it to a local mower mechanic, those are good tests.

Now I assume you have thought of this, but $3500 would buy a lot of maintenance from a local LCO. Probably 2 years or so of just mow and blow.