View Full Version : Texas license??

03-10-2005, 12:33 AM
I used the search function and read a bunch. I just want to make sure i am correct. in texas you only have to have a DBA and a license for applying weed and feed, roundup, ect... But not a license for straight fertilizer? Is there any other licenses i am missing? Do you have to have one for doing landscaping? I know in my county i have to have a special license for going to the dump if i go excessively. thanks...

Lawn Wolf
03-10-2005, 02:05 AM
Hi. I'm in Houston and I just got my DBA isn't this consider a lawncare license already, if not where do I get the seperate license. The one you got for fertilizing did you get it at the same place as your DBA. I would appreciate the info , where abouts are you in Texas btw.

Texas Mowem
03-10-2005, 09:04 AM

1. Fert = No
2. Landscaping = No
3. Pesticides = Yes

If you are SOLO you don't have to collect sales tax.
If you have an employee you have to collect sales tax.

03-10-2005, 09:18 AM
Post this question in the fertilizer forum. You will have a better chance of it being answered there.

TX Department of Agriculture
Pesticide Division
PO BOX 12847
Austin, TX 78711

Go to the sticky at the top of the pesticide forum. It will give you a link to the website. There are 2 ways to get a license in Texas. At least one of them requires a sucsessful training period of 1 think one year.

As far as Texas goes. You must collect sales tax. here is the exerpt from the web page:
Landscaping and Lawn Care Services
May 2003

If you do landscaping or lawn or plant care, you should be collecting sales and use taxes. Landscaping and lawn and plant care services include any work you do to maintain or improve lawns, yards and ornamental plants and trees.

Collecting Tax
You should collect state tax, plus any local tax (city, county, special purpose district or transit) on the total charge for these services.

Here are some examples that should help you decide which of your services are taxable. Of course, these examples don't cover every situation. If you have a question, call us.

Taxable Services

Planting, transplanting, relocating and removing indoor or outdoor plants
Identifying, preventing or curing plant diseases
Pruning, bracing, spraying, fertilizing and watering plants
Planting, mowing, trimming and edging grass or other ground cover
Planting and maintaining flower gardens
Trimming, spraying, and maintaining trees

Nontaxable Services

Mowing pipeline or highway rights-of-way
Trimming trees away from power lines
Harvesting, cultivating, mowing and fertilizing farm or forest land
Mowing cemeteries

You should separately state charges for nontaxable services from charges for taxable services. Otherwise, your total charge will be presumed taxable if the taxable portion is greater than 5 percent. You or your customer may overcome the presumption through documentary evidence that establishes the percentage related to nontaxable services. Your invoices or contracts should clearly identify the services you perform.

and the website:

Mo Green
03-10-2005, 10:56 AM
When in doubt, contact the state that you live in.