PDA

View Full Version : buying account?

Appalachian landscape
03-10-2005, 01:28 AM
What kind of offer should I give to my old employer for some lawn accounts? He is getting out of lawn care completely, and focusing on home remodeling. I talked to him and he said he had at least 3 accounts he could give me maybe a few more. What kind of deal should we work out? Should I give him a one time fee or a percentage of the lawn? If it's a percentage, how long do we continue the deal? I'm not going to pay him forever.

stevo22
03-10-2005, 05:55 AM
ask him if you can just outright have em'....if you used to work for him, he has already got his money worth out of the yards with you cutting them while you worked for him...

use the search...there are prob. a couple hundred threads about this subject...

packerbacker
03-10-2005, 08:44 AM
If you know who they are just approach them on your own. Why would you pay for them?

Mo Green
03-10-2005, 10:06 AM
The only way he can sell them to you is if the customers are under contract with him. If there is no contract, ask him to give them to you, or approach these customers on your own.

Aaron Marshall
03-10-2005, 11:02 AM
If he is contracted with them, and wants money for the accounts, do a one time payment. Percentage over time will kill you in the long run.

ztoro
03-10-2005, 11:05 AM
just offer to cross market with him.. You can hand out his name and he can hand out your name... For three accounts its really not worth it...

Mo Green
03-10-2005, 12:45 PM
I wouldn't do payments. A one time payment should be satisfactory if he won't give them to you. Just assure him that by giving them to you, that you can assure him that his former customers will be well taken care of. I'm sure they would appreciate that.

John B Laidlaw
03-10-2005, 01:12 PM
For a turn-key business, it is usually 2.5x-3x the monthly revenue unless more complicated formula is needed for potential or intellectual rights etc. but for three accounts, why bother?

launboy
03-10-2005, 01:22 PM
for just three accounts. Just go to the people, explain who you are and take them over.

Appalachian landscape
03-10-2005, 02:10 PM
for just three accounts. Just go to the people, explain who you are and take them over.

ARRRR! MATEY! I be the lawn pirate and I'm cutting yer grass or ye be walkin' tha plank! ARRRR! :D

yeah i'm not going to pay him 2 or 3x what these pay, what if I cut them once and the people say they are going with someone else. I might pay him 50% of the first cut on every yard. I'm going to try to just get them free or maybe with a 10% one time free and a promise to hand out his business cards.

launboy
03-10-2005, 02:24 PM
its three homes not a whole route list, besides the guy is(on his own terms), getting out of the biz. BTW RRRRRRRRR me matey its not mutiny on the high seas its buisness..... :p

Precision
03-10-2005, 04:07 PM
are we talking 3 resi accounts or 3 decent sized commercial accounts.

3 resi account, I would just approach the people and say, George is giving up the lawnservice part of his business. I am starting my own company and have been mowing your yard for George for a year. Would you like to have me continue mowing, at the same price? Yes, no and move on.

If they are contracted commercial accounts bringing in some decent coin, then strike a deal with the boss. Have him tell the clients that he is spinning off his lawn mow business and you are his partner and are taking the lawn care part. Nice introduction and get a new contract with your name on it.