PDA

View Full Version : IS 1500Z Ferris 25Hp Kawasaki V Twin

apexlawn03
03-10-2005, 09:42 AM
New this year has anyone demoed one of these mowers? If so what did you like or dislike?

LawnsRUsInc.
03-10-2005, 10:16 AM
I myself dont like the smaller frame than the is1000Z it has a shorter wheel stance in the back which cant make it better than its bigger brother the is1000

Jason

ZER
03-10-2005, 05:14 PM
I demoed one at my local dealer and thought the ride was much better than the is1000. I will be buying one this spring...

Envy Lawn Service
03-11-2005, 02:33 AM
I saw one at the Green Industry Expo last fall. Nice looking machine. Yes it should have an improved ride over the IS1000. However I have not been out to the dealer to check the new models out.

Roger
03-11-2005, 08:20 AM
I saw an 1500Z at the Western PA Turf show about 10 days ago. I've never owned a ZTR, but am looking to add a 48" mower, either a JD stand-on, JD 717A, or perhaps the Ferris 1500Z. I was very impressed with what I saw as a machine. Obviously, I've not seen one in action, or demoed one. With no experience, I may have been looking at the wrong things -- my experience is with w/b mowers. I don't have properties that justify the larger ZTRs, so this seemed like a good candidate. The only dealers are an hour away -- not good.

all ferris
03-11-2005, 09:14 AM
It looks like a nice machine but I would never buy it to replace my 52" dualdrive ferris walkbehind. I think the walk behind can go more places (over curbs, under pine trees, etc...).

LawnsRUsInc.
03-11-2005, 10:25 AM
Yea having a dealer close by is nice ours is 45 min away but we service many properties near the dealer. The Is1500 in a 52" is 5,499.00 with a kawi on it. It could be a improvement. i talked to dusty dust (cow boy man) and showed him a few things that they could improve with the new machines and they did improve a couple of the ideas. Over all the is 1500 z is nice i just don't think it can handle slopes as nice as the 1000.

But thats me, Jason

rott_dobe
03-11-2005, 10:40 AM
If you don't mind me asking, where are you getting a quote for an IS1500 for $5499?

The prices I've been seeing around here is, at best, $6500. If I could find one for $5500 that might just be a deal maker for me!

LawnsRUsInc.
03-11-2005, 11:30 AM
At my dealer i have it on paper. They move the most ferris mowers in the state. They came in i think 1st in the nation for ferris sales last year. A is 3000zl 61" $8,500 kawi motor.

rott_dobe
03-11-2005, 11:44 AM
LawnsRUsInc,

Could you PM me or e-mail me or post your dealer's information? I see from your website you're not TOO far from me. I might make a drive to get that kind of deal. Also, is that a "no haggle" price that he would give me over the phone, or will I have to spend hours in there arguing with him? Also how good is he for service?

Thanks!

ZER
03-11-2005, 03:13 PM
I have seen the 1500/48 for 5600.00 not the 1500/52, you may want to double check with your dealer...

grassmeister
03-14-2005, 05:05 PM
I'm getting the 44" w/ 19hp Kawasaki as soon as it arrives at my dealer (about a week or so). Other than the larger deck and engine, everything else is the same. I demo'd the 48" and 52" and both seemed really nice. I compared them to other brands and the Ferris came out at least as good or ahead on most things. Plus it costs less than the competition. It drove really nice at the dealer, but it's hard to judge when you're not actually cutting grass. But even in the lot and over some bumpy areas, it felt better than a comparable Scag.

Some of the things I like about it are the newly designed height adjustment, fans to cool the hydro pumps, active performance suspension, adjustable seat, etc. It just felt right. Side by side comparisons with the IS1000z make the 1000 look out-of-date. The dealer said it would be very hard to get rid of his remaining 1000's, particularly since they cost more and aren't as good (at least in his opinion).

My main concern is over lack of dealer support (about 5 in the entire state), but they say that will change now that Briggs and Stratton bought their parent company, Simplicity.

THill3
03-14-2005, 10:22 PM
I love it. I have always had ferris and who I worked for had them. I was out just Saturday and I have a very steep hill in my back yard and I had to try it on that it was strong and had no problem even on the steepest angle. Dollar for dollar it is the best buy out there right now. IMO

wolfman
03-16-2005, 01:37 AM
THill3

1.) How long have you ran Ferris ZTRs?

2.) Have you seen or heard anything about as the supension starts to age then when you hit bumps the deck will scalp worse than non-supension ZTRs?

3.)If so about how long before you have to replace shocks,springs,etc.?

4.)Also do you know what kind of pumps and motors the 1500 uses?
(I met the rep at the dealer - he said the pumps were Hydro Gear? I think?)
How have these held up?

Thanks for your time

3neuby51204
06-16-2005, 04:06 PM
Rott Dobe I am also from Rockford, I've found a little better price than you on the 48", email me if your interested! Maybe a dual sale would drop the price even more???!

Tider6972
06-16-2005, 07:14 PM
.......wolfman howled:
"
2.) Have you seen or heard anything about as the supension starts to age then when you hit bumps the deck will scalp worse than non-supension ZTRs?

3.)If so about how long before you have to replace shocks,springs,etc.? "

wolfman, I want to know those answers too ! I've asked a coupla times, and these Ferris owners have never replied ! ???

MMLawn
06-16-2005, 08:14 PM
If you do a Search you will find a thread on here from a poster that was so unhappy with his New Ferris ZTR and I'm pretty sure it was the 1500 that he took it back to the dealer and traded it in on a eXmark. Not sure what he said he didn't like about it as I don't remember.

all ferris
06-16-2005, 09:09 PM
.......wolfman howled:
"

3.)If so about how long before you have to replace shocks,springs,etc.? "

wolfman, I want to know those answers too ! I've asked a coupla times, and these Ferris owners have never replied ! ???

Hey fellas,

I have one of the original procut z IS machines and I have no problems (6 years old)

FLYonWALL9
06-16-2005, 10:20 PM
I am rather new to this industry and if you have seen any of my posts you may have read how happy I am with my 1500. I cut some pretty uneven areas and some that are rather bumpy and I don't notice any problems with scalping. If I see a dip or hole in my path I just get my foot ready and raise the blade a touch and its perfect. Its a quiet machine and very smooth. I cut a really nasty hill, I can tell you it likes up and down much better than side to side. A walk behind would do better tracking on a hill from the side. I should post pictures of this hill you all would think I am crazy for cutting it, but it will take it and ask for more. Its my yard, I knew if I could find a mower that would cut my own and I liked the ride I knew I found the mower for me. Also I have a really bad back and the shocks do help. I have mine set pretty soft now they were a pain to adjust though.

I am unsure the brand of hydro it uses but I can look tomorrow. The only think that needs to be changed in my eyes on any of these mowers would be a grease block rather than having to lift of the mower or get on your head to gease them. I will work on mine to see if I can remote mount my fittings. Thats the only thing these mower makers could take into the design that heavy equipment has.

Bottom line, the only thing I don't like is the fittings, the cut is great, its strong, and has a great ride.

rott_dobe
06-17-2005, 09:16 AM
Rott Dobe I am also from Rockford, I've found a little better price than you on the 48", email me if your interested! Maybe a dual sale would drop the price even more???!

Unfortunately, the money situation has gone from bad to worse, so I don't think I'll be able to make this kind of purchase for at least another year. I would be interested in hearing what dealer you were referring to though.

Thanks!

jayandlo
06-17-2005, 03:25 PM
I picked mine up around mid-March. I love it. I can cut nearly as fast as it can run, due to the smoothe ride.