PDA

View Full Version : Gravely dealer falling down

Precision
03-10-2005, 11:06 AM
I have a Gravely PM 260Z. Love the machine. However it developed a hydraulic leak in the reservoir after about 90 hours.
The dealer put a new reservoir in and said she is good to go. Well now 35 hours later I am having grinding and shimeying in the hydros when I turn to go up hill and surging when I stop.
I completely cleaned the mower then took the it in 3 fridays ago, the mechanic let it idle for 45 minutes kept the mower til Wednesday and declared no hydraluic leak could be found. I re-explained the problem occurs under load and turning up hill and I don't know that it is leaking other than the goop all over the reservoir. I took back the mower to do my larger properties on Thurs and Friday. Bring it back on Monday.
They decide they need to do a pressure test of the system, but don't have the tool to do it and need to wait to ask the owner if they can buy one. Apparently it is "expensive". The owner is on vacation and not to be disturbed. Send me home with the machine on thursday mow.
They then decide I need a new hose of some sort by "talking" to Gravely tech support. New hose is ordered, but wrong one "comes in". Now I am on my 3rd week of this and will be using it again after the week end. But the problem is getting worse with each round of use.
She is still under warranty for the next year, but with this kind of "help" what good is a warranty.

Any suggestions?

I am going to the gravely site in a sec to look for another local dealer.

Mo Green
03-10-2005, 12:48 PM
I would try to contact Gravely directly and tell them about the piss poor service you are receiving from one of their dealers. Tell them to handle it or you will never buy another one of their products.

John Gamba
03-10-2005, 02:13 PM
I am going to the gravely site in a sec to look for another local dealer.

Bingo-----------------------------------------

Precision
03-10-2005, 04:01 PM
I looked and the nearest dealer (well actually 3 of them) are all 30+ miles away.

I know one of the dealerships and they are good guys, but through city traffic we are talking over an hour each way. So that is 4 wasted driving hours plus being out the mower for however long.

I called Gravely and one of their techs is "talking" to my dealer.

Aside from general ineptitude, it really bothers me that they would sell hydro mowers but not have the equipment to work on them. I am surprised that Gravely would even let them without hydraulic tools.

Travis Followell
03-10-2005, 04:27 PM
I'd march in there and tell themthey've been beating around the bush for 3 weeks and your fed up and if they don't get the problem fixed and real quick you'll never darken their door again. Thats what i'd say. I wouldn't put up with their crap. If they can't repair the mowers they shouldn't be selling them.

Classic
03-10-2005, 06:27 PM
Gravely dealer support in my area is very weak too! The better commercial dealers don't carry Gravely around here.

Mo Green
03-10-2005, 06:46 PM
When I walked into the Gravely dealer here, I was not impressed with the store itself nor the man behind the counter. Just seeemed a little shady to me. Needless to say, I didn't stay long.

Precision
03-10-2005, 07:26 PM
I really like my mower. but I think the problem is this guy is in his late 60's and is trying to sell the shop. So any extra inconvience or cost is strongly frowned upon.

But dummy is driving his business into the ground so He will get much less for it. % of revenues and all.

malojeer
03-10-2005, 11:17 PM
I use to be a hydr. tech. It sounds like internal pump or motor problem.
The only tools they need to test your machine is gauge and adapter, not expensive. Sounds like they have no one who knows hydros.Find a hydralic shop and explain your problem they should be more helpful.They could a least give you their opinion. Might be a bad filter.

malojeer
03-10-2005, 11:26 PM
sound like they didnt bleed the pumps properly.Does the noise and grinding come from both sides? Does it seems to pull more on one side? A bad pump or motor will normally act up only when hot and under a load hence the problem on a hill.

Envy Lawn Service
03-11-2005, 02:22 AM
Precision,

I've been in your shoes man. I'm talking I took them off and you put them on.
DO NOT RETURN YOUR MOWER TO SAID DEALER, PERIOD.

What's gonna happen is if you do, the dealer will send for the "self certification package" from hydrogear. They will get the info and the test kit. But guess what? yeah I said that right "self certification".... the mechanic still ain't gonna know WTF he's doing. Long story short.... TAKE IT TO A DEALER THAT DOES!!!

If you don't, the shop guy will want to stand behind his last word on it.... NOTHING WRONG.
This is going to get you started off on the wrong foot when you have to take things up a level in order to get taken care of. Been there, done that.

Now, maybe all you have wrong is air from the previous leak. The question is, has that air already caused damage? If not, you can go through the bleeding process yourself, cycle the air out and see how she runs out. If you still have problems, either....

1- You have damage
2- You have cavatation
3- You have an air leak on the low pressure side (return / suction)

All the above will cause your symptoms. Which it is, I do not know.
But I do know that the 260Z has been known to have problems arise out of the pump that runs the deck lift.

Precision
03-11-2005, 07:23 AM
Malojeer,

they are telling me they don't have the pressure guage. I really think the mechanic doesn't have a clue. the only problem with taking it to a hydro shop is that this thing is under warranty. My dealer or at least Gravely needs to pay for it to be fixed.

Thanks for the help.

Precision
03-11-2005, 07:29 AM
Envy,

Certainly wasn't aware of self certification. That sounds REALLY SCARY.

I don't think it is a lack of bleeding of the system. It ran for 25 hours or so with no problems. Now it may be sucking air in and after 25 hours it the point where it is noticable. My biggest concern is not really for the problem I currently have. I am really worried about the long term damage I am doing to the mower by using it. Like never changing your engine oil. It doesn't kill the engine early on. Just wears it out quickly and then dies 3 days after your warranty expires. Only in this case it would be dealer neglect and not user stupidity.

I already started up the chain with Gravely. This is a main mower. I need it functional and with the same problem twice in less than 130 hours, obviously something iswrong. Might have to lemon law them if it happens again. Then get a toro Zmaster. That dealer is great.

Precision
03-11-2005, 07:32 AM
Malojeer,

The problem comes from both sides. not at the same time though. If I am turning Right up a hill then the left side protests. Sometimes it surges on one side or drags on one side while driving straight. Not too much, just enough to screw up your straight line. When I slow down to stop, sometimes both sides surge forward a couple of inches and at slightly different rates. Sorta like a wiggle

Envy Lawn Service
03-11-2005, 12:51 PM
Put the rear up on jackstands. Open the cap where you can see the oil and run the wheels back and forth, both forward, then both reverse. I bet you'll see air bubbles surface. If not, close the cap and run it until it's good and hot. Then look again.

Precision
03-11-2005, 04:38 PM
And if I see air bubbles, then what (aside from braining my dealer). I really think if non-dealers on this site know more than the mechanic at my dealer, then I am fighting a losing battle.

I really shouldn't have to do this kind of work when I am still under warranty.

I know you are helping and believe me if and when I go back all your comments will be things I bring up. It just burns me that I can get more educated than them.

Precision
03-11-2005, 04:50 PM
I called Gravely yesterday and they said they would speak to my dealer. Apparently they did. I now have an entirely new hydraulic system (hoses and reservoir and the like) being overnighted to my dealer.

So apparently although my dealer is a dope and cheapskate, Gravely is wanting to do the right thing. That makes me feel better, but still annoys me to have to work with this dealer.

Supposedly to be fixed on Monday.

Envy Lawn Service
03-11-2005, 09:36 PM
WOW!!! Put one on the boards for Gravely.
That's a stand-up thing they are doing.

Although this should be a standard practice, not many MFG's will step to the plate like that for us.
But they all should, because they are not classified "COMMERCIAL" for nothing.
These mowers are our wage earners and we can't afford for them to be down.

Classic
03-12-2005, 08:26 AM
ANY of the high end commercial manufacturers would do the same...no big deal. The biggest problem in my area for Gravely is their dealers as well..they don't understand commercial business.

I have had issues with machines over the years and both ExMark and Great Dane have done right by me. I have an awesome dealer as well.

I'm glad they are tkaing care of you!

Precision
03-16-2005, 06:14 PM
Just an update.

Gravely shipped the parts over. Took alittle longer than they said but that was partly UPS. But my dealer has been sitting on them since Monday. Today is WEDNESDAY. The only reason I know they are there is because I CALLED THEM. And now THE yes as in only one mechanic is getting surgery done and won't be in until Next Tuesday they hope.

Will be calling Gravely again today.

Very annoyed again.