PDA

View Full Version : What Time Do You Start Cutting Grass

TBLC
03-10-2005, 11:16 AM
What Time Do You Start Cutting Grass. 5am? 8am? I know the earlyer the better, but what about the do on the grass? How wet is to wet? I know some morning the grass is dry. Others its soking wet till 11am. Or should i just suck it up and deal with it..Later..Great site

captken
03-10-2005, 11:29 AM
Your profile says you have been in business for 8 years. If that is true, you should have figured this out on your own by now....
Use the search feature....
btw, ....do on the grass? poop? or....dew on the grass? moisture? lol :)

Precision
03-10-2005, 11:32 AM
If you are doing resi properties, check the law. Most places have a noise ordinance in effect before 8AM.

Commercail properties that are not also residences or within a certain distance of residences can (usually) be mowed at midnight if you really wanted to.

There used to be a guy on here who ran resi crews in the day 8AM - 5PM Then ran Commercial crews from 8PM to 5AM using the same truck and equipment. Or something like that.

TBLC
03-10-2005, 12:54 PM
sorry DEW. First year full time. I had another job before.

jt5019
03-10-2005, 01:04 PM
I start my resi's around 8 if possiblle, if its really wet i will try and hold out a little longer.On days that im doing Commercials i get out earlier around 7.. i dont have enough where i need to mow them overnight :dizzy:

launboy
03-10-2005, 01:25 PM
The law says we can't start before 7 but i usually hit it about 6:30.

Tvov
03-10-2005, 01:34 PM
We usually start at 8am for residentials. Will start earlier for commercial.

Hacksquat
03-10-2005, 01:34 PM
I usually start around 9AM. I like to make sure the dew has evaporated before I start.

cklands
03-10-2005, 01:38 PM
My crews leave the shop at 7 AM so they are usually on the first property by 7:15-7:45. As far as the dew is concerned I don't worry about it. If I had them wait to cut the lawns until the lawn was dry I would need to add another crew. They grass catch them until they are dry enough to le it fly.

Updog
03-10-2005, 01:40 PM
We are the same as hacksquat it usually take too much time to cut wet grass if you bag it will just keep clogging. I geuss some areas don't have that much dew though.

Appalachian landscape
03-10-2005, 02:20 PM
I like to start around 9 am too. Keeps the deck from clogging and leaving big wet clumps of grass in the lawn.

lampeslawnservice
03-10-2005, 02:27 PM
You must have a humidity problem like we do in Iowa. There has been days that we couldn't even start till after lunch the dew was so thick. That makes for a long day. I've tried pushing it but you end up spending more time scraping decks than anything. This will be the first year using Meg-mo's in the spring we'll see if they make a difference. The worked real well in the fall and some of those tend to stay pretty wet too, but nothing like a late spring dew.

crzymow
03-10-2005, 10:23 PM
We try to start around 8am here. Last year the dew was tough most of the year because of all the rain we had. A few times we dragged a hose acrossed a lawn to knock of the dew, wasnt perfect, but better then fighting with it with all the dew on it. As far as commercial accounts, we only have a few and we mow those on sundays, no cars to deal with.

LLandscaping
03-10-2005, 10:47 PM
We usually leave the house at 6:00am, stop at the gas station and start mowing about 6:45am to 7:00am. Sometimes we start earlier if we are mowing a commercial property but usually it is about 7:00am.

proenterprises
03-10-2005, 10:49 PM
8:00 AM is a good start time. Not much can be done about the dew, its just part of nature. It can add a little more time in the first morning's work, but in CT, its usually gone by 11:00 AM.

mottster
03-10-2005, 10:49 PM
Get to the shop about 7:00-7:15....once all blades are done, fuel in mowers, im at first job by 8:00....9:00 on saturdays. I've had a few complaints about it being too early but i just explain that I understand the noise is annoying but with 100+ heat indexes in the summer i like to get as much dones as early as i can. Then they begin to realize why im there so early. :rolleyes:

TScapes
03-10-2005, 11:07 PM
My guys go out at 6 am, but back in the day when I ran a crew in Atlanta, Ga. we started our day at 3:00 am! We did class A office buildings and if they were not cut by 6 am, forget it! Every parking space would be filled and there was do way we could get things done. Had the cops on us a few times for waking up someone in an apartment complex down the road, so we started in the back.

dhess
03-10-2005, 11:23 PM
7:00 start in the spring + summer...
8:00 start late in Fall and Winter..

We won't hit residential or hotels till after at least 8-9 so commercial comes first in the day then residential in the afternoon usually.

no sat or suns...

damn you guys that mow after 5:00pm or on the weekends when I'm trying to rest!

TScapes
03-10-2005, 11:45 PM
damn you guys that mow after 5:00pm or on the weekends when I'm trying to rest!

I agree! :D We work a 4 day week, so the last thing I want to hear is a mower on Sat or Sun., especially my own! Seriously though, I don't see how someone can mow on Sunday and be making money unless they are part-timers. There are large companies here that I see on Sundays mowing into the late afternoon... I don't understand it. Especially when there was no weather related issue to merit this. I guess they just like to pay that OT! :help:

AlbeLawn
03-11-2005, 12:03 AM
It all matters on what you are cutting. I cut residential at 8am But i get to some commercials at 6am. I have also cut a soccer field under the lights at 10pm before at the request of the owners.

Jim
Albenesius Lawn Service

jsmitheman
03-11-2005, 12:10 AM
In eastern Pa I like to start about 9:30, then work till 5:30-6:30 PM or so... Makes my guys happy(late start) and keeps neighbors happy. Only problem is the kidds are home from school and wanting to play in the yard. Works good for us...

dhess
03-11-2005, 12:22 AM
I agree! :D We work a 4 day week, so the last thing I want to hear is a mower on Sat or Sun., especially my own!

actually its not the prof guys that usually irritate me on the weekends cause they are usually in and out quick...(usually)

Its the neighbor that finally decides to cut his grass after 3 months at 10am on Sun morning after I've been out drinking all night at the bar...

Nothing worse than waking up to some idiot pull starting his mower for about an hour...then you get to hear him stall his mower about every 5ft cause his grass is so tall..

mow..mow...stall...pull start...pull start...pull start...mow..mow..stall..pull start...pull start...pull start...mow...stall...

then it turns into a whole day ordeal because hes taking breaks ever pass around the yard.

I gotta admit though as much as I hate hearing someone come up to me and tell me the blowers or mowers are too loud even in the afternoon and rolling my eyes...

I really do hate hearing a blower for 1-2 hrs straight on my days off.

AEW
03-11-2005, 12:22 AM
Residentials we only mow between 9 and 5. Commercials that just want the grass cut we mow early early early and just go for the day. But never residentials too early unless it is a must.

tiedeman
03-11-2005, 12:27 AM
we start up at 9am. Used to start at 8am a few years ago, but had a lot of complaints from neighbors. Also the dew was horrible then.

kootoomootoo
03-11-2005, 12:33 AM
Dont do mowing but start at 7am ...on the skidder all day or laying pavers until 6-7pm Sales leads until 9pm..... Designs until 2am. Sometimes I wish i just mowed 50 lawns a week, came home and watched tv. Worked 7 days a week last year and already busy this year. It never ends. 3 inches of snow outside and just sold a sprinkler system at 12.30am.

HOOLIE
03-11-2005, 01:11 AM
I typically hit the first lawn by 7:45, 8am, somewhere in there. I think the law is not before 6:30 or 6 even, not sure, not that I'd be mowing that early anyway.

A lot of people here have such long commutes, everybody's awake by 7am, half my customers leave for work around 6am.

Darryl G
03-11-2005, 01:29 AM
I usually start cutting around 9:30 or 10:00, sometimes as late as noon and occasionally as early as 9:00....not much of a morning person.

Richard Martin
03-11-2005, 07:06 AM
I'm on my commercials by 6 AM. Residentials by 7:30.

MacPhersonlawn
03-11-2005, 08:34 AM
Used to start at 7:30 but the grass is just too wet. Start now at 8. Should start a little later but I can't work in the evening ( after 4) or weekends. Got to get it done when the babysitter is here!

LawnMower
03-11-2005, 09:46 AM
I get going as late as 9 am sometimes. Even then the due is really bad, so getting going earlier wouldn't hurt. I'm going to try an earlyier start this year. Here in Newport most guys get going at 7am. Every one is getting the kids off to school and there off to work by 7am, so they don't mind the lawn being cut. Like I said, around here the due is as bad at 7am as it is at 11 am, so what difference dose it make.

MCYoder
03-11-2005, 10:09 AM
kootoomootoo, are you by yourself or do you have a hardscape crew? Sounds to me like you could hire an employee or too...

Usually start mowing around 7 or 7:30, with dew or no dew

old dog
03-11-2005, 10:23 AM
What Time Do You Start Cutting Grass. 5am? 8am? I know the earlyer the better, but what about the do on the grass? How wet is to wet? I know some morning the grass is dry. Others its soking wet till 11am. Or should i just suck it up and deal with it..Later..Great site
I'm about 4 hours away.Cut when its wet-stay out of electrical storms.Check
your local codes office to know what your rules are-they vary.We usually start
at 7:30 so we can miss the 8:00 rush on the way in.SOme days it will never dry
out!If you have cut that long ,find equipment that lets you cut in "crappier conditions!

old dog
03-11-2005, 10:27 AM
I typically hit the first lawn by 7:45, 8am, somewhere in there. I think the law is not before 6:30 or 6 even, not sure, not that I'd be mowing that early anyway.

A lot of people here have such long commutes, everybody's awake by 7am, half my customers leave for work around 6am.
Do you ever get anything done since there is always gridlock in your area!
I hate driving around DC anymore-gridlock,gridlock,gridlock!Think I will go south of dc by way of Ohio ,it is just about as fast!