PDA

View Full Version : Timberins??

scraper69
03-10-2005, 01:31 PM
i want to pull my 20'enc trailer with my pick up this year ; however, it wont take the load of trailer? saggs alot. My mechanic freind said to have the leaf springs beefed up.. i was wondering how timberens would work?? any ideas Thanks

Jpocket
03-10-2005, 01:49 PM
get a n older 3/4 ton

Aaron Marshall
03-10-2005, 03:03 PM
I think I would go with the bags that fill up with air.. don't know what they are called... sorry. I am going to purchase some of those for my F350 because I am going to haul material in the bed with a dump insert and pull my trailer. They are a little more costly than Timbrins but much more ajustable. Good luck!
Aaron

scraper69
03-10-2005, 03:28 PM
Really?? Airbags for suspension. Good idea. BUt looking for a relatively inexpensive fix. The truck is a 92 3500GMC Sierra.4x4 Thanks

Grassmechanic
03-10-2005, 03:59 PM
i want to pull my 20'enc trailer with my pick up this year ; however, it wont take the load of trailer? saggs alot. My mechanic freind said to have the leaf springs beefed up.. i was wondering how timberens would work?? any ideas Thanks

That's exactly what they were made for.

scraper69
03-10-2005, 05:24 PM
So timberens is the way to go... i know it may change the ride. But so would adding leafs. How much do you expect i would pay to have a set installed? thanks

Aaron Marshall
03-10-2005, 08:53 PM
Not to take you away from the Timbrins, because they might be good as well, but here is a web page for the air bags I was talking about. http://www.accessconnect.com/air_lift.htm They have two options, and different prices, which they are not too much more than timbrins. You do not have to have the onboard air compressor, all you have to do is fill up at a gas station or if you have an air compressor at home. I guess before you do that though is figure out how much weight you will be pulling and before I was worried about sagging, I would worry about how you are going to stop. If you are too heavy, get a bigger truck! Good luck to you.
Aaron

Aaron Marshall
03-10-2005, 09:14 PM
Now that I look, for your truck, they only offer the heavy duty air bags and it will probably run you about 260.00 bucks or so. I think timbrins are around 100 but i'm not totally sure. Good Luck again.

MCYoder
03-10-2005, 09:49 PM
Timbrens for front or rear are around 190 and are easy to install... here is the website with free shipping...
http://www.stengelbros.com/catalog/gmrck35_1704321.htm

The air bags are here http://www.suspensionconnection.com/cgi-bin/suscon/2025C.html

Extra leaves are $265 here http://www.suspensionconnection.com/cgi-bin/suscon/3527-250HD.html

IMO I would go with the extra leaves first, then timbrens and lastly the air bags...

MCYoder
03-10-2005, 09:53 PM
Timbrens also don't change the ride any... they don't do anything until there is a load in the truck

B&B Lndscpng & Lwn Srvc
03-10-2005, 10:01 PM
The most inexpensive way to go would be to buy a weight distribution hitch. We use them on all our 1/2 ton pickups. Alot of people use them to pull oversized campers. It adds an extra set off bars from the hitch to the trailer and equalizes the load between the trailer and truck and levels the load out. I'm using them on a 1996 gmc k1500 4x4 also so i know it will work on yours. My hitch weight load went from 400lbs to 1000 lbs and the max towing load went from 6000 lbs to 10,000 lbs as long as i have the hitch sytems hooked up.

Gmgbo
03-10-2005, 10:26 PM
go air bags, i only have 40 psi in mine and they can hold 90 psi. i still havent seen teh truck sag yet.

kerdog
03-10-2005, 10:57 PM
Hey scaper69-------

What about air shocks from the local auto parts? Might be a little less inexpensive, maybe easier to install, with similar results?? Just another alternative, to look at.

littlenic
03-10-2005, 11:00 PM
I use the air bags on mine. I hardly every unhook but when I do, I just let the air out and I'm back to stock shocks. Didn't take much to put in, just part of one sat. afternoon.

love mine so far, got mine from Summit Racing around 200.00 I think, can't really recall.

good luck, littlenic :waving:

BillyRgn8
03-10-2005, 11:09 PM
the only thing to watch out for is how much weight you actually have with these systems, i know air bags will boost your suspension another 5,000 pounds witch is great except your axle wont handle an additional 5,000 lbs without snapping however i know you can overload gm's pretty good my 95 3500 srw had 2 tons gravel stock every thing and my 85 3500 drw mason dump had 4.5 tons stock suspension

lqmustang
03-11-2005, 10:28 AM
I got my Timbrens from Michigan Truck Supply for $144 shipped. Installing is a breeze. Unless you are completely mechanically incompetent you can install them yourself in about 15-30 minutes. They simply replace the stock bump stops. I was able to do the fronts on my F250 without even taking off a wheel. Haven't done the rears yet, but I probably will have the take the wheels of there for ease of access.

Good luck with whatever you decide. :)

all ferris
03-11-2005, 10:38 AM
Really?? Airbags for suspension. Good idea. BUt looking for a relatively inexpensive fix. The truck is a 92 3500GMC Sierra.4x4 Thanks

A 1 ton truck will not handle a 20' enclosed trailer? What do you have in the trailer? If I'm doing the math right it seems like that truck should be able to handle pretty much any double axle trailer without any modification. I know I have pulled 16000# trailer with my truck and it didn't have any problem. I would think that if the trailer is loaded correctly the truck should be just fine.

scraper69
03-13-2005, 10:49 AM
TRailer is loaded properly. Note this is a large encl. with extras everywhere. Elec jack. extra batt. extra lgt.tounge. heavy trailer.. although i agree it should still handle this trailer (3500HD) . Think i will add timbrens. and see?

SkookumToo
03-13-2005, 11:10 AM
I would agree with other post about why a 3500 can not handle the load. I use air bags on a plow truck vs the timberins because you can adjust the air for the load as needed. But, truck should handle what you have. Might cost a little more, but I'd check with a heavy truck center about installing overload spring if not so equiped or new spring packs. You can also get over the top bolt on progressive rate spring packs which I have used before on a Ford F150, took the sag right out of hauling a loaded trailer, they only take about an hour to install and available at most auto or farm stores.

scraper69
03-14-2005, 09:53 AM
What are top load progressive rate springs.../??

SkookumToo
03-14-2005, 10:35 AM
Hellwig makes some, they are actually called Helper Springs. They mount over the top of the trucks stock spring packs just like a overload leaf. They have mounts that go down around the stock spring leafs. You do not have to remove anything when mounting since they mount over and around the stock springs.

They consist of 1-4 leafs that are either full time load or progressive rate. In other words you can install a set that takes the weight instantly (Ride like a log wagon when empty) or a set that will not change stock ride until extra weight is added, the more weight the more the packs flex and stiffen to handle the weight.

Set I have increased load by 2500 lbs. They work very well. They got rid of the sag when hauling a trailer or counter balance weight for plow. I have the progressive rate type that did not effect my stock ride when truck is empty. They have been on truck now about 7 years with no problems. I think I got them from JC Whitney catalog for about $190.00

truckguy23
01-08-2010, 09:59 AM
Hey everyone I am new to the forum. I'm sure the people originally in this post have found solutions by now hah, or I hope. Anyways, in case anyone else was having the same issue either of the three "helper springs" can be used to solve load support problems. All have advantages and disadvantages. Firestone air bags (http://www.sdtrucksprings.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1806_1807) are great if someone wants to enjoy the ability to adjust the load themselves, with the controls at their fingertips. They will give you great load support and a nice ride as well. A Timbren kit (http://www.sdtrucksprings.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=107_280) or hellwig helper spring (http://www.sdtrucksprings.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=508) will generally provide the same load support, while essentially adjusting to the load for you. I personally am a fan of timbrens and they have never failed me. That's mostly because I dont' like hassling with airing up and airing down the air bags. I know many people who love the ride of hellwig helper springs as well. Their progressive models adjust to your load exceptionally well.

landdecorinc
01-10-2010, 04:56 PM
Have timbrens on a 06 chevy 2500 duramax with plow. Truck runs level when loaded in the back or trailering. Helps with front end sag with the plow. Did stiffen up the ride in the front when truck is empty. Also have timbrens on ford ranger. Basically same results with ranger & for the money spent it has been well worth it. Easy to install as well. I will be ordering a set for a chevy 3500 soon.