PDA

View Full Version : Timberens or leaf springs? help

scraper69
03-10-2005, 12:32 PM
i want to pull my 20'enc trailer with my pick up this year ; however, it wont take the load of trailer? saggs alot. My mechanic freind said to have the leaf springs beefed up.. i was wondering how timberens would work?? any ideas Thanks

green814
03-10-2005, 01:02 PM
If you could post what kind of truck you have it would be easier to answer. Also you may be able to just invest in a weight distribution hitch which would also help. This way your truck would still have the factory ride when driving without the trailer. Just make sure you don't exceed the tow rating for your truck.
Chris

Tvov
03-10-2005, 01:37 PM
I'm missing something here, what are "timberens"?

How are you loading your trailer? You simply may have too much weight up front.

Also, depending on your truck, if you are overweight, well, you are overweight!

scraper69
03-10-2005, 02:26 PM
truck is a 92 3500GMC Sierra. 4x4.. what is a wieght dist hitch>??

Tvov
03-10-2005, 05:03 PM
What are you towing on the trailer? A 3500 should be able to handle a heck of alot of weight. You shouldn't need a weight distributing hitch if you load the trailer correctly and just tow locally, especially with a 3500. A WD hitch is very common on campers. Next time you see a camper trailer, take a look at the hitch.

I still don't know what "timberens" are....

jim dailey
03-10-2005, 07:46 PM
What are you towing on the trailer? A 3500 should be able to handle a heck of alot of weight. You shouldn't need a weight distributing hitch if you load the trailer correctly and just tow locally, especially with a 3500. A WD hitch is very common on campers. Next time you see a camper trailer, take a look at the hitch.

I still don't know what "timberens" are....

Timberens are solid rubber "blocks" that are fastened to the frame, on the underside, directly over your rear end housing. When weight is added to the truck, and it starts sagging, the blocks preceed the frame on the way down to the rear end housing. After the truck "squats" a few inches, the blocks hit the housing and stop any further sag. They have different blocks for different applications. Re-doing the rear leaf springs is a better way of doing the sag...but a lot more expensive. Have the springs done at a spring shop.

Gravel Rat
03-10-2005, 09:40 PM
Either your springs are shot in the 3500 or you are putting too much tounge weight on the trailer. I would replace the rear springs with a new set maybe get a extra leaf added to them.

Timbrens are a rubber cushion spring from what I'am told they work very well I had a set of home made ones on a old F-350 dually the truck would easily pack 6000lbs but it wouldn't stop.

As you may know max tounge weight is around 15% of the gvw of the trailer but I think 10% is recomended thou.

The way to see how much its sagging is measure the unloaded truck from the back bumper then hitch up the trailer with the load you usually carry and see what the difference is.

scraper69
03-13-2005, 09:51 AM
Think i will start with timbrens.. just since they are least exp fix (quickly)