PDA

View Full Version : Do you bother with 1-time customers?

Tom-N-Texas
03-10-2005, 01:49 PM
Just curious if I'm alone here.

I get these calls all the time....where they want their lawn mowed or their flower beds cleaned out ONCE.

I used to waste my time running around town giving estimates for 1-timers, but I'm sick of it now. It's just not worth it during the growing season. I've also determined that this type of customer has probably called 5 services looking for the lowest price. Screw 'em. No more, brotha. Tom

Eho
03-10-2005, 01:56 PM
A lot of times if I have time, and they are on my route, I will do it one time. If they are outta normal route, I usually don't mess with it.
EHO

procut
03-10-2005, 02:02 PM
I usually do. Usually these one timers are close to current customers anyways.

launboy
03-10-2005, 02:04 PM
if it is a one time cleanup i'll do it but they will not get the rate that a multiple service contract will get same with lawns $$$, only in neighborhoods of current clients.

PTP
03-10-2005, 02:10 PM
Yes, but my price is higher.

walker-talker
03-10-2005, 02:35 PM
"I am sorry, but I don't don't do one time mowings". That is usually my response. Most of the time it is not on my route and just not worth it. I might consider it if it was on my route and they had cash in hand.

Money talks!

65hoss
03-10-2005, 02:47 PM
Not usually. Not for mowing. Kills to much time I could be doing something real profitable. That is for my business setup.

rodfather
03-10-2005, 03:26 PM
We will only at a 50% higher price and within one of our normal routes...check on delivery too btw.

billc
03-10-2005, 03:42 PM
Since we're still adding customers, we'll do one-timers. Some have become repeat customers. If you get an idea of the lot size, potential obstacles, etc. you can give a (high) quote over the phone and ask for payment to be made at the time of service.

bobbygedd
03-10-2005, 03:45 PM
yes i do. money talks. i don't make a special trip to do the estimate, i usually tell them " i'll be in your area on wed, etc." then when i'm in the area, i stop, rape them on the price, yay or nay.

Precision
03-10-2005, 03:48 PM
one time mows are 50-100% extra.

One time clean ups, I love those. I have done 3 already this season. The cheapest was $1100 for 16 man hours. (underbid it was expecting 12 man hours) $1600 on another that took 13 man hours. If orget the third, but in the same category.

Yeah I will take that kind of work all day long.

TurfStriper
03-10-2005, 04:42 PM
yeah definetly..over charge them.. they dont know better

launboy
03-10-2005, 04:49 PM
convience = extra$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
after i cut and get paid i will tell them it would be cheaper if they put their "John Hancock" on this here contract.

dfor
03-10-2005, 05:03 PM
I will do a one time lawn service or clean-up if I have the time. Usually it is in a neighborhood that I work in already. And if it's not, I charge even more for the drive time.

Mo Green
03-10-2005, 05:24 PM
If it is a neighbor or friend of a current customer, I may consider it. Or if it a large one time clean up, and its not too far out of my way, I would probably do it.

ince8728
03-10-2005, 05:33 PM
double the price of whatever they want done from a regular account, and must be paid in full at time of service or they can sign up for full service and have normal prices.

Randy Scott
03-10-2005, 05:34 PM
We do it about 75% of the time. The other 25% is during the heavy spring growth. Then there just ISN'T the time.

Regardless, I charge them accordingly. Whatever condition the job is in. Many, many alleged "one-timers" have turned into full-time accounts or landscape work. You just never know what can come from it. There's no sense screwing someone for a possible one-time account. They'll know if they got screwed and they'll certainly never call back.

Although, as I and others have stated, there are some times you just can't get to someone. To each his own I guess.

Branchland
03-10-2005, 06:06 PM
I do one time clean ups and mowings. It might not be when they want it but I try to work them in somewhere and make a few xtra dollars.

JustMowIt
03-10-2005, 06:11 PM
Just curious if I'm alone here.

I get these calls all the time....where they want their lawn mowed or their flower beds cleaned out ONCE.

I used to waste my time running around town giving estimates for 1-timers, but I'm sick of it now. It's just not worth it during the growing season. I've also determined that this type of customer has probably called 5 services looking for the lowest price. Screw 'em. No more, brotha. Tom

We offer 1 time mows for $40 vs our $26 weekly rate. With 11 mowing trucks, it will sprinkle into one of the trucks routes with no hazzle for us,

This takes care of the people that "want to try us out" when they really wanted a 1 time $26 mow. We tell them on the phone that it needs to be mowed & edged within the last 2 weeks in season, otherwise our crew will pass it up. That pretty much takes care of the ones that want a clean up. We have learned that the ones that demands the same day usually are problems, so even though they are calling from next door to our truck, we never agree to mow it the same day.
MJ

NelsonLandworks
03-10-2005, 06:13 PM
I do these as often as they come. This is my 2nd year in busniess now so i'm not jam packed with a full schedual.

I actually really like doing the one time jobs because those poeple have freinds, freinds that may need a one time job, may need a year long contract, or may even have a commercial area that needs done. For this reason, I treat them the same way I would with a regular account when it comes time to send out bills.

Just my .02

Mo Green
03-10-2005, 06:15 PM
Good point Nelson.

DennisF
03-10-2005, 06:38 PM
I get a lot of calls for one time service. They usually call during the hottest time of the year here in Florida. When the temps get up in the high 90's or higher... the calls for one time service increase. Most of them are cheapskates shopping for prices. They'll say that their mower is in for repair or they twisted an ankle mowing last time and only need it this one time. But you can usually tell that it's too hot for them to be doing lawn work. Some of them will even admit it's too hot for them.

I won't go out of my normal service area for them, but I'll do it if they are on the route. I usually charge twice the going rate for these people. They usually accept if it's really hot. Cash up front.

Edgewater
03-10-2005, 06:44 PM
I find it's the one times that gt the most equipment broken. ( I didn't see that water valve) or a lot of calls saying " the property goes to the bottom of mrs jones' hill, can you come mow the last 3.6 feet"

CHARGE $$$$$$$

RICHIE K
03-10-2005, 06:45 PM
WE DO ONLY IF THEY ARE CLOSE, AND REFERRED BY A REG. CUSTOMER AND THEY MUST PAY UP FRONT.....

RICHIE K

www.kulakandcompany.com :blob3:

Cut
03-10-2005, 07:18 PM
If you get the one time cut, who does the second cut when its another 11" tall?

Precision
03-10-2005, 07:24 PM
Alot of my lot clean-ups turn into monthly maintenance contracts. Something about paying $1200 and still needing to mow every week vs paying $150 or so monthly gets them thinking. I also suggestively sell. You know if you have me keep up with it after the clean up, next year you won't have to pay me for another clean -up.

NelsonLandworks
03-10-2005, 07:57 PM
You know if you have me keep up with it after the clean up, next year you won't have to pay me for another clean -up.

We charge our regular customers for a clean up, then for keeping up on the yard until fall when we charge for a fall clean up.

maybe I read or took that the wrong way, but why wouldn't you charge for the following years clean up?

old dog
03-10-2005, 08:45 PM
Do them if they can be done while equipment is already off the trailer,it is an area you want to get into.It is a good idea to get the dough right away.If you are not busy,then
something is better than nuttin!

proenterprises
03-10-2005, 08:47 PM
If it it on the general route, than yes, for a higher price. If they are out of the way, and its only a one time cut, than no, it does waste an abundance of time and is not usually profitable.

packerbacker
03-10-2005, 08:49 PM
I dont take one time mows unless its very profitable and on the way to a customers, but I take one time cleanups in the fall, or one time gutter cleanings. doesnt bother me to do it at all. You never know what it can lead to.

mottster
03-10-2005, 09:37 PM
We do, but only if the customers will be home to pay when we are finished. Too many times We go and do a $50-$80 cleanup and dont get paid when we bill out. If we get to the house and no-one's home...we drive on. If we're working and we see the people leave....we stop, pack up...and leave. Sounds strict but doing 850k a year, you dont hvae time to deal with all the little account receivables.