PDA

View Full Version : Certificate of workmans comp ??

MowinMachine
03-10-2005, 03:40 PM
went and asked about a job today and they want me to have a certificate of workmans comp i am a solo operation what exactly is this how do i get one and how much will it be

any advice would be nice
Thanks Lance

tiedeman
03-10-2005, 03:46 PM
since you are a solo op you do not need one. Just provide them with proof of liabilty insurance

NC Big Daddy
03-10-2005, 04:07 PM
since you are a solo op you do not need one. Just provide them with proof of liabilty insurance

Some companies require them period.

grass_cuttin_fool
03-10-2005, 04:12 PM
Yes they do, In va. you are not required to have it unless you have 3 employed. I bid on mowing telephone sub stations and had to have it and Im a solo operator. They wouldnt even accept my bid with out it, any way mine was gonna be $1800 for 1 year. I told them that if I got the bid I would have the Ins in 1 hour but they wouldnt accept that, oh well.
Mowinmachine, to answer your question, you will have to go to an insurance agent and buy a policy,I know here in Va workmans comp is very exspensive.

rodfather
03-10-2005, 04:15 PM
Most important is to get the correct rate classification. Mowing is much lower than landscaping in most states.

eshreve1234
03-10-2005, 04:38 PM
You must register with OH BWC. The application is on their web site. If you are a corp., you have to carry it on yourself also, other entities you may elect not to cover yourself. When you apply estimate your annual wages low so your deposit will be less. The deposits range from $10 - $1000. Then you get the pleasure of filing a report for 6/30 and 12/31 each year to report wages you paid and pay your premium.

tiedeman
03-10-2005, 04:45 PM
that is strange

pcguy
03-10-2005, 05:42 PM
EVERYTHING in Ohio is strange.

eshreve1234
03-10-2005, 05:52 PM
Yes OH BWC is a little odd. Many states require you to go through a private insurer for you worker's comp needs, OH has a state fund. Back during the stock market bubble, you got a 75% discount on your BWC premiums, this past year we only got a 20% discount.

mtdman
03-10-2005, 07:39 PM
How do you carry workman's comp on yourself if you are solo? I was told that you cannot carry it on yourself. And the purpose is to protect your workers. If you don't have workers, why would you have worker's comp?

dvmcmrhp52
03-10-2005, 07:43 PM
How do you carry workman's comp on yourself if you are solo? I was told that you cannot carry it on yourself. And the purpose is to protect your workers. If you don't have workers, why would you have worker's comp?

They want workmans comp because you MAY hire someone on during the year.............
It's called CYA.
And yes you can typically get comp, just say your looking to hire..............

Mo Green
03-10-2005, 07:43 PM
I was wondering the same thing.

eshreve1234
03-10-2005, 08:13 PM
The corp. is the entity, not you, if you remember your basic biz law class, corps do not have a set lifetime, they go on forever until dissolved, other entity's most of the time terminate at death of the owner. So if you are the only worker for your Corp., you have to carry worker's comp on yourself.

Precision PLC
03-10-2005, 08:23 PM
eshreve where can I go to learn more on this because I am new and want to know more.do I just go to oh bwc site ?or if you can help me personally that would be great.Also my brother in law lives in holgate shane s do you know him?

Aaron Marshall
03-10-2005, 08:33 PM
They do this incase you hire during the year, like was said above, or if you have a "freind" there to help you (yes that means guys paying cash to buddies). If your "friend" gets hurt and you don't have workmans comp, the property that the person is on can get sued. This way their butt is covered. I know maybe all or some policies do a review at the end of the year to see how much you paid out in payroll, and refund you accordingly; if they see you did not pay anyone, they will refund you all but a small portion for filing fees etc. One of my cousins had to do this for his line of work and he ends up spending about 100.00 a year for the workman's comp. insurance. Hope that helps, and if I am wrong, please correct me.
Aaron

pjslawncare/landscap
03-10-2005, 08:45 PM
It differs state to state. I do have coverage on myself AND my workers. Companies that sub work have to provide their insurance companies a certificate of coverage from their subs durring an insurance audit. If they do not, they will have to foot the bill in increased rates of their own. In my state however, if your solo, u can obtain a certificate of exemtion from the state for a small fee, but u must remain solo for this

Mo Green
03-10-2005, 08:51 PM
The corp. is the entity, not you, if you remember your basic biz law class, corps do not have a set lifetime, they go on forever until dissolved, other entity's most of the time terminate at death of the owner. So if you are the only worker for your Corp., you have to carry worker's comp on yourself.
Now it makes sense.....thanks.

old dog
03-10-2005, 09:27 PM
I sub a couple mowing jobs in townhouse complexes.I have the agent send a certificate
of insurance.A township I mow private residences requires all private contractors
to register cti's each nenewal anniversary.Anytime you need a cti ,
notify the agent and he/she will send it directly to the requesting party.

LawnScapers of Dayton
03-10-2005, 10:37 PM
I will be getting WC on myself this year because I am pretty sure that my FT employer (city fire department) will deny any medical insurance claims I might make related to injuries sustained while doing my PT job (lawn maintenance/ mowing/ landscaping). The city is self insured.

Derek

Mo Green
03-10-2005, 10:41 PM
I am pretty sure that my FT employer (city fire department) will deny any medical insurance claims I might make related to injuries sustained while doing my PT job
Derek
You bet your a$$ they will.... If your department is like mine, they will try to deny claims that happen while you are working for them.

kickin sum grass
03-10-2005, 10:59 PM
In Ohio if you have o payroll durig the report period it is only 10 bucks to keep it active. You can get the policy to satisfy the needs of the contract ad it will only cost you 20 bucks a year. The whe you get ready to hire someone it will all be in place.

kickin sum grass
03-10-2005, 11:00 PM
sorry about the spelling. My "n" key goes to sleep sometimes.

LB1234
03-10-2005, 11:25 PM
Everyone's situation is different...but...

I looked into WC last year thinking I would hire an employee. Only wanted employee for 16hrs per week over a 30 week timeframe. Long story short...at 16hr/wk over 30 weeks my ins. co. said the minimum # of hours for WC is somethings like 1000 hours. Therefore, I would be paying double the rate of WC with no additional benefits. Needless to say, I didn't hire the employee.

TMlawncare
03-11-2005, 12:26 AM
I looked into workmans comp this year also. The rate I was quoted was based on $20k payroll. The quote was for $1350. From what I have found this is a pretty good rate.

eshreve1234
03-11-2005, 07:22 AM
Precision-

You just need to go to ohiobwc.com, and right on the front page, click apply for coverage.

IF you need help with the form itself, send me a pm and I will reply as soon as I can.

I dont know steve, my mailing address is Holgate, but I live in a very rural area outside of town.

The min. you will pay each six months is $10, with the Lawn Classification and no experience rate, 20k in payroll will cost you about $1,120/yr.

Also when you sign up you will be contacted by phone, mail etc, of the managed care groups wanting you to join them. BWC will send you a list of the groups and ratings for each. You have to join one, and there is one run by Promedica out of the Toledo Hospital which serves all of our area. They do not do any marketing, that and their coverage area is what made them my choice.

AWJ Services
03-11-2005, 08:29 AM
In Georgia it is not required till 3 employees ,but if you are hurt on a homeowners property they can be held liable.It is very much too protect the homeowner from liability also.There are alot of homeowners here who require it.Also if you are hurt on the job it will supply you with income while you are out of work.