PDA

View Full Version : Commercial Accounts = yellow page ad?

1MajorTom
03-10-2005, 05:20 PM
This question is geared to the companies that have a multitude of commercials.
Do you feel that the best way to land commercial accounts is to have a yellow page ad? And do you think that the first thing a commercial property does when considering service is to open up the phone book?

hulan2
03-10-2005, 06:01 PM
I know this. A scrub probably will not have one. I had to call a locksmith over the weekend. My wife and 2 year old played lock/un-lock one too many times... Talking with this guy about his yellow page ad and he tell's me it is $425 a month. He says it keeps him busy though. I'll tell you this, I will get one the next go around or change careers to a "lock-doc"! :blob3:

Lawnchoice
03-10-2005, 06:57 PM
I used to have one that was 625.00 a month. We did in fact pick up some commercial accounts from it but we also got a ton of calls for estimates of poeple that were simply price shopping.

Just a line in there now. No extra cost.

I take the 625.00 and apply it to post cards/flyers and ads in the papers. IMO it has been much better response as I can change and modify it all year long. The yellow pages is a one shot per year deal.

Mo Green
03-10-2005, 07:09 PM
I think cold calling would be better.

jc1
03-10-2005, 08:51 PM
We have just a single line listing about 1/3 of the way down and last season picked up 3 commercials from listing. If we weren't there we wouldn't have been called.Just being in phone book makes you legitimate to most people.

lawnman_scott
03-10-2005, 10:03 PM
We have just a single line listing about 1/3 of the way down and last season picked up 3 commercials from listing. If we weren't there we wouldn't have been called.Just being in phone book makes you legitimate to most people.Your right, you will be legitimate to MOST PEOPLE, unfourtanatly, you wont attract much large commercial work. To awnser the question, yes a yellow page ad will atract commercial better than fliers or the sticky things on newspapers, doorhangers, ect.

Randy Scott
03-10-2005, 10:09 PM
We've been pursuing commercial work a little more this season. It appears that in our area, you need to be getting yourself in front of these people. Personal letters, cold-calling, etc.. You really need to push yourself to them. There are so many companies out there, you need to be aggressive and pursue them. It's tough for me to do, but I'm trying. They don't have to look for companies around here. Any commercial work that's worth a hoot is being pursued, better join them in the pursuit or be left behind.

cochino12
03-10-2005, 10:27 PM
here is the deal with yellow page advertising. People that are looking in the book are ready to spend money and they are looking at the info you put in the book to "sell" them. Look at it like this, if you are a woman, business, etc... needing your yard maintained do you wait for a flyer to show up at on your door? NO. Granted, flyers are great for bringing a customers need for a maintenance co. to the front of their mind, they are just reaching a different audience. Most here say that yellow pages only attracts price shoppers but I think most all shoppers and buyers are price conscious regardless of where they get your name and number. Maybe the person answering the phone should brush up on their sales skills a little.

specialtylc
03-10-2005, 10:40 PM
99% of our customers are commercial. We have never had an advertizement of any kind. We get all our jobs by going to the customers. Or from referals. Most companies have plenty of lawncare/maintenance contractors coming and soliciting for work, so they dont have to look in the yellow pages.

Tom-N-Texas
03-10-2005, 11:00 PM
i have a 1" ad in the Southwestern Bells Yellow pages that costs me $35/month! another ad in a different book is about the same. THey're both worth their weight in gold.

LB1234
03-10-2005, 11:30 PM
Do you feel that the best way to land commercial accounts is to have a yellow page ad? And do you think that the first thing a commercial property does when considering service is to open up the phone book?

IMHO, the best way to land a commercial account is WHO you know. IF you know someone, chances are they can hand deliver or 'put a word in' for ya to management, owner/s, landlord, etc. And no, I believe the first thing ANYONE does is ask a neighbor, fellow business member, etc. THEN, they will go to the yellow pages. Just my four cents worth...

Evergreenpros
03-10-2005, 11:40 PM

All the huge commercial landscaping companies in my area are not in the yellow pages. Yellow pages are mainly geared towards residential customers. It's far cheaper to buy commercial mailing lists and do a complete mailing 2-3 times per year for the price of a decent yellow page ad.

TLM
03-10-2005, 11:44 PM
Yellow pages is NOT the way to go. We are in "The Blue Book"
http://www.thebluebook.com/
This is just one of many places

lawnman_scott
03-11-2005, 12:11 AM
Yellow pages is NOT the way to go. We are in "The Blue Book"
http://www.thebluebook.com/
This is just one of many places
And people have patience for this? To go through companies 100's of miles away to find a local one?

promower
03-11-2005, 12:43 AM
Yellow pages has brought in a lot of work for me. This past week I've spent about 2 hours on the phone just cold calling commercials and property management companies. I bid 28 different properties from getting on the phone this week. I'm not knocking the YP ad because it's brought in a ton of work for me, although approaching clients with the primo properties has been the best way for me to get my foot in the door.

TLM
03-11-2005, 11:43 PM
And people have patience for this? To go through companies 100's of miles away to find a local one?
Who would do that?
All my leads are in the metro atlanta area. Many come from the blue book.
Most come from association memberships. Today we received a total of 14 leads and it's not even spring!

dhess
03-12-2005, 12:32 AM
I wonder how many people still even use *yellow page* books nowadays with the internet around.

I bet the numbers are dropping rapidly...

I Personally always check the internet first if I need to find a company or a store.

The only good use I put to my yellow books the past few years is that it does make pretty good packing material to ship vinyl records.

BCSteel
03-12-2005, 11:56 AM
99% of our customers are commercial. We have never had an advertizement of any kind. We get all our jobs by going to the customers. Or from referals. Most companies have plenty of lawncare/maintenance contractors coming and soliciting for work, so they dont have to look in the yellow pages.

Same here. I only have signs on my trailer. I get all my work from the managment companys. Good work = good referals.

lawnman_scott
03-12-2005, 01:30 PM
Who would do that?
All my leads are in the metro atlanta area. Many come from the blue book.
Most come from association memberships. Today we received a total of 14 leads and it's not even spring!
No one. Thats the point. I looked up lawncare in ga, and got places all over. One is in casselbury fl. When i searched fl for my area, i got orlando, jax. It seems to be a big area for nothing, but if it works, great.

JKOOPERS
03-12-2005, 01:42 PM
i have an ad in the yp and it has brought in alot of work . i also have 2 ads on the Internet . imo any form of advertising is great , it just that some work better than others. i will tell you this i have landed almost every call i got from the yp ad . theres another thing everyone might want to consider , put an ad in the smaller yp book. here in st. louis there is about 4 different books . i only advertised in the one that covered the area i wanted to work . the ad only cost me $60 a month and another $16 a month to have it listed on the net . by the way the ad is full color and the size of a business card.

LawnsRUsInc.
03-12-2005, 01:48 PM
Jodi, To answer your first post we get pretty good to ok respose from the YP. We get a much better response by going through a commercial park and figuring out a maint. proposal and then droping it off. We have 4 yp adds from 1/4 page to business card size and it pays for itself in commercial customers. We have gotten 1 commercial property from it that payed for it for the whole year in profit from the job. I do think that there are better more effective ways to get commercial propertys. I have 1 way that i get every commercial customers to signup no matter what, AND ITS FREE.

Jason